Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 04:34 PM

15 posts, read 107,679 times

Advertisements

thanks everyone for the replies. they were all extremely helpful. i guess i will just hang out in the city and go door to door. I'll work in a gay bar, i dont really care im surely not homophobic, but i guess it defeats the other purpose of bartending/barbacking besides the money and socialness, namely meeting girls.

As for barbacks, ive noticed illegals in those positions as well. I used to wonder why, because i figured a sure fire way of working up to bartender would be to work as a barback. its getting me really angry seeing ads posted on craigslist for "experienced barbacks". Its insulting to me, how much experience do you need to carry and lug supplies back and forth. im a friggin pre-med student for goodness sakes. if i can get through organic chemistry 2 and physics 2 i can barback with my eyes closed regardless of how "hard" the ads make it out to be.

but now you guys are telling me most places hire barbacks who remain barbacks without ever moving up to bartender. thats definately not in my cards, i would only do it to gain experience and fill in for the bartender if necessary and hopefully eventually move up to bartender. Is the concensus that barbacks go nowhere in nyc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 05:49 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
To answer your last question OP, I would say that by and large the barback to bartender thing is not the way to go in NYC. Maybe it was years ago, but these days it doesn't really work that way for the most part. Of course there are exceptions to everything but more often than not you'll find its not the better way to go about it.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:58 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,332,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWaterz View Post
thanks everyone for the replies. they were all extremely helpful. i guess i will just hang out in the city and go door to door. I'll work in a gay bar, i dont really care im surely not homophobic, but i guess it defeats the other purpose of bartending/barbacking besides the money and socialness, namely meeting girls.

As for barbacks, ive noticed illegals in those positions as well. I used to wonder why, because i figured a sure fire way of working up to bartender would be to work as a barback. its getting me really angry seeing ads posted on craigslist for "experienced barbacks". Its insulting to me, how much experience do you need to carry and lug supplies back and forth. im a friggin pre-med student for goodness sakes. if i can get through organic chemistry 2 and physics 2 i can barback with my eyes closed regardless of how "hard" the ads make it out to be.

but now you guys are telling me most places hire barbacks who remain barbacks without ever moving up to bartender. thats definately not in my cards, i would only do it to gain experience and fill in for the bartender if necessary and hopefully eventually move up to bartender. Is the concensus that barbacks go nowhere in nyc?
I have been a barback before, and it is not as easy as you think it is

It is back breaking work, and requires a lot of toughness

Since you want to be a doctor, sitting in a classroom and paying attention also requires a lot of toughness too, but it is a different kind of toughness

There is no carry-over whatsoever

Actually now that I think about it, you really only have to have great looks, and connections to get into the real popular, high end, and busy places

If you go to say the outer boroughs and look for hole in the wall place, I am sure they will hire you

But even in Manhattan, there are some places that have butt-ugly employees, like McCoys Bar in Hell's kitchen on 9th and 52nd

Old 08-18-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
To answer your last question OP, I would say that by and large the barback to bartender thing is not the way to go in NYC. Maybe it was years ago, but these days it doesn't really work that way for the most part. Of course there are exceptions to everything but more often than not you'll find its not the better way to go about it.
so is your suggestion to just walk in there and tell them "look, i want to bartend here what do i have to do to make that happen"
i didnt think a soul would hire an inexperienced bartender anywhere in the city which is why i reverted to the option of barbacking

Old 08-18-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
I have been a barback before, and it is not as easy as you think it is

It is back breaking work, and requires a lot of toughness

Since you want to be a doctor, sitting in a classroom and paying attention also requires a lot of toughness too, but it is a different kind of toughness

There is no carry-over whatsoever

Actually now that I think about it, you really only have to have great looks, and connections to get into the real popular, high end, and busy places

If you go to say the outer boroughs and look for hole in the wall place, I am sure they will hire you

But even in Manhattan, there are some places that have butt-ugly employees, like McCoys Bar in Hell's kitchen on 9th and 52nd
dont think im downplaying the physical aspect of it at all..i know its tough labor back there...but i work out, im in very good physical shape..so the physical aspect of the job doesnt intimidate at all

so it all comes down to good looks and connections...i guess i have 1 basis covered, but i dont have any connections(story of my life)

Old 08-18-2008, 09:36 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,332,493 times
but how long do you workout because you are working long hours, for several days if need be

also lots of places like restaurants, the barbacks are also the busboys, so you will have a lot of work

it is tough on the fingers mostly

Old 08-19-2008, 07:43 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWaterz View Post
so is your suggestion to just walk in there and tell them "look, i want to bartend here what do i have to do to make that happen"
i didnt think a soul would hire an inexperienced bartender anywhere in the city which is why i reverted to the option of barbacking
I suggest you talk to people and see if someone could put a good word in for you. Otherwise go to a gay bar.

Also btw, inexperienced women get hired to be bartenders all the time, if they are good-looking enough. I don't know how it works with gay bars, but its probably the same type of thing.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:39 PM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I tend to agree with NooYowkur81 on this. Most barbacks I've seen (and I was a waiter/bartender in the city for 4 yrs), have been just that--barbacks--and not really pushed up to bartender position. The big caveat is being goodlooking or not. Sadly, those with better looks would get the promotional push to the bartender status quicker than "ordinary joes" or "less than" types...

Old 08-19-2008, 12:43 PM

hey JJ. did you start off as a waiter and work your way to bartender, or did you move straight into bartending

Old 01-17-2009, 07:06 PM
bxt

49 posts, read 199,720 times
I know I'm late here but I wanted to know what would you recommend for a female with no bartending experience? I was looking into attending a school but after reading through this thread I'm not sure that's the best route. barbacking seemed like a good option but I didn't think about trying gay bars which wouldn't be a bad option. I'm not a bad looking female, just a little on the short side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City