Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2008, 04:39 PM

335 posts, read 1,113,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
I like it when people say that. They can look white, blue, black, purple, red, yellow..but you ask them what they are and they say "AMERICAN!"...loud and proud. It's great really.
Yup cuz it is what it is. When you fill out all these forms they tend ask what is your nationality. If you are american they go on to ask what background/culture you are from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 06:15 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir_ny View Post
Yup cuz it is what it is. When you fill out all these forms they tend ask what is your nationality. If you are american they go on to ask what background/culture you are from.
Yeah I know. I think it's ironic really. We are supposed to be one of the least racist and culturally acceptive countries..yet we put such an insane emphasis on race.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:50 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,669,844 times
Being racially aware doesn't necessarily have a connection with being racist. In my opinion not enough people are racially aware (especially regarding Hispanics/Latinos and mixed-race people of any background); I believe that we should be a racially aware society before we become a race-blind society. With that said, both options are better than being ignorant or misinformed about racial matters.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:38 AM

656 posts, read 1,412,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir_ny View Post
What do you mean whatever that means? I would think that because I was born in the usa that would make me american. My dad is african american born in North Carolina and my mom is panamanian. So really that would make me panamerican?!?!?! But technically it doesn't matter cuz I was born here making me american with a hispanic background.
panamerican? like panam the airline?

Old 08-28-2008, 03:23 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Well obviously she is white but I do not think she is of Latin origin; I believe she stated her parents came to the US during the 1960's as immigrants from Germany.
LOL good memory crisp. Yup I'm white but I would say about 95% of my private life is spent around puerto ricans. This has been the case for several years ago now, the more I got into salsa and the more I noticed how fine some of the men are LOL.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:26 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MottHavenDude View Post
QueLinda...that pic looks awefully familiar.....is that the Marriot?
Wow, good eye! Correct so far. Where is the locale?!

Old 08-28-2008, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekuai View Post
panamerican? like panam the airline?
Like panam - the airline? I don't know. If their name is a hybrid of panama and america then yeah. if its not then no.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXGEAR View Post
mottdude prob thought you were half wasp
Why would he think that??

Old 08-28-2008, 07:26 AM

173 posts, read 192,612 times
The local is Condado...and the background is facing West. Regarding the Panamanian/1/2 American.....it doesn't make sense when you say 1/2 American and 1/2 Panamanian....why did you not say 1/2 American and 1/2 South American in that case? Being American means you are anything and everything....but why then did you include being 1/2 Panamanian? The reality is you are 1/2 Black and 1/2 Panamanian..but you were born here....who says 1/2 American and 1/2 Panamanian? And the further reality is, you are physically black, as few would be able to tell the difference between you and another black person...but this is just my guess. I also find it interesting that you say you have a Hispanic background...but you also have a black background..but you choose to ignore that side for some reason. I did not assume you were white/black/chinese...but when you say you are 1/2 American...it means nothing..as American is just an umbrella under which every race/creed/religion/cutlure falls under...there is no "American" the same way someone is German, French, Kenyan, etc. For some reason you chose to ignore your black side by saying "1/2 American"....

Old 08-28-2008, 08:26 AM

Dude!! Please show me where I said I was half anything. I said I am american. And my mom is panamanian. You should read people's posting carefully before commenting. My mother raised me!! My dad died when I was 8. I grew up around hispanics and most of my friends are dominican. I didn't grow up eating collard beans, grits, chitlings (however you spell that), fried chicken, drinking kool aid or whatever southern/black people generally eat. When I speak to someone who doesn't know me most of the time they ask me where I am from because I have a spanish accent. Yes i am physically black but so are puerto ricans, dominicans, cubans and so forth. And I don't ignore the fact that I'm black. As I said before I tell people I am american or that I was born here and letting my skin color imply that I am black. There is no way to ignore that I am black. Then I explain that my mom is panamanian. Your whole arguement is pointless since I never said that I was half american.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City