U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-17-2008, 12:53 PM

16 posts, read 50,283 times

Advertisements

Hi!. My am hunting down very affordable rents. NOT easy to find in nyc or nj where things are rising like crazy. I wondered about reading, PA but its 3hrs from nyc and about $58 RT by greyhound/port authority nyc. I need to work and come to nyc a lot so that won't do. What are some places no more than 1hr and 1/2 to and from nyc via public transportation. How much are rents are out there for one or two bedroom apartments?. Commuting costs and rents are priority as well as if the place takes yet another form of transportation to get there....not!.

Thanks!
Hapland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 01:27 PM

9,405 posts, read 16,033,050 times
Some areas that spring to mind would be the greater Easton, PA area, part of the Lehigh Valley, which lies about 70 miles west of NYC. Buses go daily to the Port Authority from there. I just checked on realtor.com to gauge rentals there, since I am not that familiar with them and found 1BRs from $650 and 2BRs from $800. You can get a monthly bus pass or coupon book for multiple bus trips for commuters from these areas.

In New York, the Orange County area offers bus links to Manhattan. Chester, for example, has 1BR and 2BR apartments that start around $1000.

Other areas in New York would include Westchester towns of Peekskill and Ossining, where 1BRs start around $1000-$1100. Nyack in Rockland County would also be about $1000 for starters for a 1BR. Still in New York, Dutchess County offers some affordable options, particularly around Beacon. 1BRs in Beacon generally start in the $800-$900 range. 2BRs are around $1000+. All of these areas offer train commutes to the city.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:03 PM

Thanks much for the tips!.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:20 PM

10 posts, read 17,627 times
I was just wondering if you had found an apartment yet.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:12 PM

No, I have not found one yet. I am thinking to really move later on by summer of '09. But I have to start doing my homework early since I only know greater nyc. It would be ok to move farther out, barring I know what I am getting into but the need to have to get to nyc over several times in a month or even working in the nyc areais too expensive for way out.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:05 PM

4,726 posts, read 4,834,000 times
Try Center City Philly -

Only a 90 Minutes Non-Stop Greyhound ride roundtrip for 24$, and they leave Philly and Port Authority every 1hr (Fridays every 30 minutes)...Philly Rents are much cheaper then NYC and in Center City you still have the Manhattan "Like" lifestyle.

My sister just moved down to Philly and rents an apt in Center City for 1200 a month that would cost easily 3500 in Manhattan. She commutes to NY everyday via Amtrak (Employer pays for) has her at Penn Station in 1hr to 90mins

Old 12-12-2008, 01:50 AM

Thanks for latest reply!...I just wondered to my own post! never really expecting another reply. I could so more than an hour out of NYC honestly for health reasons as well. My sister found a place for me..she said its a bit on the hour or so...which I can do by bus or by train...the latter would probably be a breeze but bus is fine too in cases where the train might not be convient or something.

In fact, I've done a lot of researching especially via Google which is helpful but NOT though for safety and privicy reasons. I am very much against the showing of peoples homes like that and with close ups, which I've heard they are working on shaper images. Why?...whats that all about?. People are snapshotted who are obviously unaware and of course have not given any persmissions nor is Google paying each and every homeowner, tenent, building owner, etc to be able to do this. Did we all ask for such Google to do this in some fine print somewhere?. Its an invasion of privacy. Its also very dangerous and inviting troubles that Google will never be there to help anyone with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City