U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 01:35 PM

24 posts, read 63,180 times
Default Harlem - Mt. Morris Park Area

My husband and I are in our early 30s, white professionals, thinking about buying a place in the Mt. Morris Park Area of harlem (below 125th and west of 5th avenue).

We'd obviously be careful (e.g., I wouldn't take the subway home at 2 am, wouldn't walk with headphones at night), but what about:

- taking the subway home at 7,8, 9 pm and the walk from 125th and lex to, say, 120th and lenox.
- or walking to the drugstore or one of the gyms on 125th street at 9 or 10 pm?
- walking home from a local restaurant a little later, 11 pm or 12 pm?

I think it's beautiful up there, and the values are amazing, and I've literally walked every street druing the day by myself and feel totally safe. People also seem really friendly. I need to get up there at night I know, but just wanted to get thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 03:42 PM

40,060 posts, read 19,366,010 times
It's like any other place in New York; as long as you're careful, you should be fine. And 9PM isn't really late for being on the subway.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:00 PM

I agree, 9 pm isn't late, we live in the East Village right now and the subway is packed at night. Mostly just thinking about that NYU student who was attacked on Saturday evening around 9 pm a couple years ago. I mean, weren't there people around? Though I suppose it happens in other parts of the city too, there was a girl shot in the LES a few years ago too.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:09 AM

1,276 posts, read 2,765,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadingUptown View Post
My husband and I are in our early 30s, white professionals, thinking about buying a place in the Mt. Morris Park Area of harlem (below 125th and west of 5th avenue).

We'd obviously be careful (e.g., I wouldn't take the subway home at 2 am, wouldn't walk with headphones at night), but what about:

- taking the subway home at 7,8, 9 pm and the walk from 125th and lex to, say, 120th and lenox.
- or walking to the drugstore or one of the gyms on 125th street at 9 or 10 pm?
- walking home from a local restaurant a little later, 11 pm or 12 pm?

I think it's beautiful up there, and the values are amazing, and I've literally walked every street druing the day by myself and feel totally safe. People also seem really friendly. I need to get up there at night I know, but just wanted to get thoughts.

It is a beautiful area. I have never had a problem walking around in that area. I will say though the last time I went to Marcus Garvey post the drummer circle situation, I was not looked at very welcoming. I was looked at even less welcoming when I stopped to watch the drummers. I definitely got the "whitey get out of our park vibe" but that will go away with time I think.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:15 PM

9,339 posts, read 15,363,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
It is a beautiful area. I have never had a problem walking around in that area. I will say though the last time I went to Marcus Garvey post the drummer circle situation, I was not looked at very welcoming. I was looked at even less welcoming when I stopped to watch the drummers. I definitely got the "whitey get out of our park vibe" but that will go away with time I think.
That's a shame. Perhaps they thought you were one of the yuppies from the new building? That could be from where the tension emanated. I had not heard that about the drum circle previously, since usually it's an inclusive activity. I know a couple of white guys who are precussionists and do like drum circles, however, and one even carries his own bongo drums and actually went to study precussion in Africa.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:02 PM

473 posts, read 1,143,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
....I will say though the last time I went to Marcus Garvey post the drummer circle situation, I was not looked at very welcoming. I was looked at even less welcoming when I stopped to watch the drummers. I definitely got the "whitey get out of our park vibe" but that will go away with time I think.
that's not cool- will you go back or stop to watch the drumming again?

Old 08-18-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx718 View Post
that's not cool- will you go back or stop to watch the drumming again?

Yes, I think Marcus Garvey is a beautiful park with amazing potential, I will go back.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:29 PM

they are re-zoning 125th street so I think long-term it's a good buy, plus all the light and space in the area. i really like it up there, but i still want to make sure in the short-term. i'm not easily freaked out and neither of us are small people (I am 5'10 an he is 6'5), not that it probably matters, but still, i don't think we scream victim. one thing i have found is that during the day at least people seem really nice

Old 08-19-2008, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadingUptown View Post
they are re-zoning 125th street so I think long-term it's a good buy, plus all the light and space in the area. i really like it up there, but i still want to make sure in the short-term. i'm not easily freaked out and neither of us are small people (I am 5'10 an he is 6'5), not that it probably matters, but still, i don't think we scream victim. one thing i have found is that during the day at least people seem really nice
I agree it would be a great long term investment. I got to take a look last semester of all of the drawings for the Columbia expansion, and I would think anywhere near there would be a good investment.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:49 AM

Here is a link to some if you want to take a look.This is all probably west of where you are thinking of buying, but I would think it would up the property values all over Harlem when they are finished.

Manhattanville in West Harlem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City