U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 04:56 PM

473 posts, read 1,536,537 times

Advertisements

I recently decided to get gym memberships for my very active ,16 year old twin-cousins (boy/girl) as a birthday present. We get to the gym and there is a shocker - the annual membership fee was $60 dollars more for men. This gym is one for all so, there are no women's only sections (besides the locker room of course) to warrant different fees. When i queried the employee to explain the disparity, he basically said I was the only "man" to worry about a gym having more women......

I did get the memberships however, I paid the same price for both. I walk in and I see MANY women happily working out, women I couldn't help but mentally scoffing, for I doubt any oppositions to the GENDER based price disparity were raised. No problem paying less than the men yet, who hasn't heard about being paid less than men for doing the same job? Is this common in gyms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 05:06 PM

11,238 posts, read 21,675,515 times
I've never heard of it, but I find it quite astounding that you are blaming the women who are working out there for paying less! If a woman goes into the gym and asks for the price of the membership and is told "It's $600 a year" should she then say "I heard the memberships for men cost more - so I'd like to pay more." ??? And what if none of the women even know men's memberships are more- after all, how would they know unless they go into the gym to join with a man?

Please. Just blame the ownership/management of the gym and leave it at that.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:09 PM

1,278 posts, read 3,726,150 times
What gym are you talking about, I have never heard of a gym charging men 60 per month more than women, that's crazy.

And don't scoff those women so quickly, women still have a longer ladder to climb in the work arena, far making up for a gym membership benefit.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:13 PM

7,079 posts, read 34,467,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
And don't scoff those women so quickly, women still have a longer ladder to climb in the work arena, far making up for a gym membership benefit.
That must be why they charge them less: the men make more!

Old 08-18-2008, 05:24 PM

473 posts, read 1,536,537 times
There are stickers at extreme ends of the glass windows advertising the prices (i only saw the one for men because of where we parked). So while it is easy to miss on one trip, working out multiple times a week, one cannot miss both signs. I am not blaming the women -

I am simply saying I doubt if this has been questioned with the same vehemence as questioning disparities in salaries for the same job, performed by different genders.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:28 PM

11,151 posts, read 14,119,470 times
I'm wondering if perhaps the gym is geared more towards men? (In my [extremely unfit] opinion, that would means lots of free weights, not so many machines.) If that's the case, the gym may be trying to attract more women members to help close the gender gap. Kinda like the bars that offer no cover charge for women on "Ladies' Night" .....

Old 08-18-2008, 05:57 PM

9,847 posts, read 22,131,456 times
I don't know, I'm going out on a whim, but my guess would be Gyms do this to lure more women to come into the gym. A lot of women tend to join Gyms in groups I've noticed, which of course is more profitable for the Gym in the long run.

But $60 more is excessive, that is not cool.

Also squeezebox might be on to something.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 08-18-2008 at 06:08 PM..

Old 08-18-2008, 07:19 PM

65 posts, read 250,776 times
The gym is probably trying to achieve a 50/50 split between male and female members. This may be because the particular gym is a meat market, or because the 50/50 split is good for business and because members like it.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:32 PM

340 posts, read 1,060,090 times
i think hes talking about dolphin on eastchester rd.....that gym is cheap i paid 160 for a year but honestly u get what u pay for the gym sucks....i ended up goin to star fitness in westchester sq paying 485 a year and it was worth every penny.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:38 AM

242 posts, read 849,266 times
I think your right,the Dolphin Fitness on Eastchester Rd. just doesn't care. No numbers on the dumbells, old equipment and the place gets so crowded. They have to charge women less otherwise that place would be a total sausage fest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City