U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-29-2012, 05:55 AM
Status: "READY FOR WINTER?" (set 18 days ago)
 
Location: Manhattan
11,051 posts, read 10,322,041 times
Reputation: 4579
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIPumpkin View Post
Electchester has changed a lot-I don't think you need to be an electrician anymore, but there are families that have been there, passed them down, etc. The commute into the city is not bad at all, but watch the neighboring area..I grew up there and it has changed a LOT...

Unions built a several of the City's better housing complexes. They were built for memebers but I doubt any of them discriminates by trade any more. It may not even be legal.
Reminds me of Penn South, Mitchell-Lama co-op built by the ILGWU for members, but now anyone can live there after about 20 years on the rarely opened waiting list.

(I wish I'd gotten on the list for PS back when, but I mistakenly believed you needed to be in the ILGWU.)


I LOVE the name "Electchester." Someone had a terrific sense of humor back in 1949.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-29-2012, 08:58 AM
 
7 posts, read 27,387 times
Reputation: 12
Yes they expect you to return it to the original condition but if you paint it white yourself they will still repaint it. They want to do the work, they wont accept you doing it. I moved in with the previous tenants changes (track lighting, shower doors, bathroom vanity) Im wondering what they will charge me, I have lived there 2 years and Im prepared to take them to court if they give me back a pathetic check. I only painted the livingroom so the rest of the apartment is the same beige they gave me. They also started me off with new kitchen cabinets and countertop so no way after 2 years do they need to replace it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2012, 09:01 AM
 
7 posts, read 27,387 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I couldn't agree more! I lived in Electchester for almost 10 years. We lived in 4th Housing and our 1 bedroom apartment was next to the Towers. When we moved to the 2 bedroom we were in building 3. Over the course of the years we noticed a lot of changes, especially with "rules". My husband was a board member so I know a thing or 2. The whole idea was for families to get started, save money and buy a house. Well, who'd want to leave considering the rent was low and you had a nice sized apartment? Over the years they started renting out to non-union members, mostly, I think, because people were saying it was discrimination. Anyway, I thought we lived on the nice side away from Pomonok. The street fair was the worst though. Too crowded and too much riff-raff. The last few months we were there seemed to be the worst. I lived across the street from the kid that was shot in the lobby. It's still low cost housing compared to apartments but the down payment cost has increased. I think it keeps out riff-raff but also, it costs TONS of money to run these buildings and they didn't have other funding for maintenance. You get what you pay for. My only problem was that you had to replace any housing items such as light fixtures or window treatments and the ridiculous bill they send you after you move out. That was all a bunch of bs. As for transportation, there are buses along the LIE service road, the bus on 164 Street and the bus along HVA. I can't see how someone can say there is no transportation. I do admit that it's not that easy getting in and it does help to know people. We tried applying for the towers and 5 years ago we were told there was a huge waiting list. It's a nice place to live and like anywhere else, it has its good and bad things.
So you got a bill? instead of a refund of your deposit? Did you take them to court?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2012, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
6,318 posts, read 4,058,159 times
Reputation: 5955
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan65446553 View Post
So you got a bill? instead of a refund of your deposit? Did you take them to court?

What are you suing for? You can't take them to court. You sign a lease stating you return the apartment back to its original state. I got a bill itemized for what they wanted to charge me and we told them we're not paying it and then they returned my deposit. They can't just deduct what they want without giving you an itemized bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2012, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
6,318 posts, read 4,058,159 times
Reputation: 5955
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan65446553 View Post
Yes they expect you to return it to the original condition but if you paint it white yourself they will still repaint it. They want to do the work, they wont accept you doing it. I moved in with the previous tenants changes (track lighting, shower doors, bathroom vanity) Im wondering what they will charge me, I have lived there 2 years and Im prepared to take them to court if they give me back a pathetic check. I only painted the livingroom so the rest of the apartment is the same beige they gave me. They also started me off with new kitchen cabinets and countertop so no way after 2 years do they need to replace it.
Did the new tenants look at your apartment? If they accept everything then you don't have to worry. When I moved out of my 1 bedroom, the new tenant was being a b*tch about everything, down to the window treatments. Everything was already there when I moved in and I accepted it from the previous tentant who actually accepted everything from the tenant before her. When I moved out of my 2 bedroom, they didn't have a tenant lined up yet so I was worried I was going to get screwed with the painting but I left all the cans there and then they told us that the new tenants liked our colors (thank goodness). Don't let them get over on you. There are things you can dispute but if they replace light fixtures with theirs then make sure they give you what you have in the apartment. Fortunately for me the guy left the old light fixtures and even those ugly mental blinds so I was able to replace certain things. They charged me for the floor and a few tiles that were missing from the bathroom floor. I looked everywhere but no one carried those ugly teeny tiny gray tiles anymore. But most importantly, ask to be present when they do the inspection. You don't want to get hit with a suprise that they want you to replace a kitchen counter that you left in perfect condition. When I moved into the 2 bedroom I gave the office a laundry list of defects I found and eventually they came to fix it. There was a big scratch on the stove and i showed them because I was not about to get a bill for that when I moved out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2012, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
6,318 posts, read 4,058,159 times
Reputation: 5955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Unions built a several of the City's better housing complexes. They were built for memebers but I doubt any of them discriminates by trade any more. It may not even be legal.
Reminds me of Penn South, Mitchell-Lama co-op built by the ILGWU for members, but now anyone can live there after about 20 years on the rarely opened waiting list.

(I wish I'd gotten on the list for PS back when, but I mistakenly believed you needed to be in the ILGWU.)


I LOVE the name "Electchester." Someone had a terrific sense of humor back in 1949.
Exactly. During the 10 years I lived there, we found out that they could no longer rent to only union members and we also found out that single people were living in 1 bedroom apartments. A lot of it is who you know but the premise for it was a great idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2012, 06:47 PM
 
1,427 posts, read 951,868 times
Reputation: 2147
I used to walk there for lunch at my Grandmother's apartment when I went to Queens College for a year. It was very convenient to Queens College. Bus to the subway to get into Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2012, 08:25 PM
 
7 posts, read 27,387 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
What are you suing for? You can't take them to court. You sign a lease stating you return the apartment back to its original state. I got a bill itemized for what they wanted to charge me and we told them we're not paying it and then they returned my deposit. They can't just deduct what they want without giving you an itemized bill.
Like I said in a previous post they charged a family member $1600 to repaint. Who justifies these amounts? The lease says back to the condition you got it, ok that's fine but I can paint it myself for less than $1600. They also charged for a toilet bowl seat and lightbulbs I remember when I moved in I had an old toilet seat. It just doesn't seem consistent. But when my time comes I'll make sure to be there for inspection thanks for the replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2012, 08:27 PM
 
7 posts, read 27,387 times
Reputation: 12
From what I've heard they don't let new tenants see the apartments anymore. Anyone I know who has moved in recently were denied viewings.



Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Did the new tenants look at your apartment? If they accept everything then you don't have to worry. When I moved out of my 1 bedroom, the new tenant was being a b*tch about everything, down to the window treatments. Everything was already there when I moved in and I accepted it from the previous tentant who actually accepted everything from the tenant before her. When I moved out of my 2 bedroom, they didn't have a tenant lined up yet so I was worried I was going to get screwed with the painting but I left all the cans there and then they told us that the new tenants liked our colors (thank goodness). Don't let them get over on you. There are things you can dispute but if they replace light fixtures with theirs then make sure they give you what you have in the apartment. Fortunately for me the guy left the old light fixtures and even those ugly mental blinds so I was able to replace certain things. They charged me for the floor and a few tiles that were missing from the bathroom floor. I looked everywhere but no one carried those ugly teeny tiny gray tiles anymore. But most importantly, ask to be present when they do the inspection. You don't want to get hit with a suprise that they want you to replace a kitchen counter that you left in perfect condition. When I moved into the 2 bedroom I gave the office a laundry list of defects I found and eventually they came to fix it. There was a big scratch on the stove and i showed them because I was not about to get a bill for that when I moved out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2012, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
6,318 posts, read 4,058,159 times
Reputation: 5955
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan65446553 View Post
From what I've heard they don't let new tenants see the apartments anymore. Anyone I know who has moved in recently were denied viewings.
Really? I didn't know that. I bet that's because they want to charge people for stuff when they move out instead of letting the new tenant accept the upgrades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top