U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 12:29 AM

16 posts, read 24,722 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I will be making the move to Queens at the beginning of September. We currently live in Erie, PA.

My husband just graduated summa *** laude in Graphic Design and Photography. Which really leaves us with only a few cities to choose from. He wants to do something with photo, right now he wants to be a photo editor... who knows what he'll want to do in next year.

We decided upon NYC b/c it is closer to home (other options were in california) and there are more opportunities for him. Ok that sort of sounds like we're only moving for him... I want to move to, I'm tired of where we live, and want a change. I graduated college on 2006 with a ba in History. Which basically means I have to go back to school if I want to do anything with my degree.

We were thinking about moving to Astoria, Jackson Heights, Rego Park, Kew Gardens, and Forest Hills. Our requirements are that rent has to be under $1K. We've got two cats. Does it sound like we could find something in any of those neighborhoods. We know it'll be tough to find something in our price range, but craigslist has had many options. Are there any other neighborhoods we could consider.

We don't know where we'll be working yet, my husband will likely be working somewhere in Manhattan. I'll just find what I can. We've got jobs here in Erie that we can transfer with, they'll at least keep some money coming into the household, but I don't think they'll pay much more than $10 an hour. Which will cover rent and some groceries (but barely, according to pay estimator/calculator.)

We'll be coming into the city again sept 2nd-4th to go apt hunting, possibly several times after that... But wanted to know if anyone knew anywhere else we should be looking, or if there are any good websites to look into. We really don't want to use a broker.

Ok, I'm sure I've got lots more q's but for now that's it.

Thank you for reading!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 02:49 AM

112 posts, read 601,863 times
you can try middle village (close to rego park) or briarwood (close to kew gardens across queens blvd) as well. but honestly, it will be difficult to find a place under $1k unless its a studio, and even then its rare. in rego park, forest hills, and kew gardens it will especially be difficult. jackson heights its more doable but certainly in less-than-perfect living conditions (for under $1k). you should check out middle village really, maybe even maspeth. you may find something more in your budget and the area is pretty decent, and pretty family oriented.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:20 AM

7,079 posts, read 33,558,485 times
Finding a rent less than $1000, especially with cats, is going to be a challenge.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:52 AM

10,496 posts, read 20,549,952 times
You might be able to get a "walkin" apartment in the basement of a house (like what I think Page3000 says she live in in Corona, Queens). The landlords of private homes may be less stringent about asking for proof of your income than the management companies are in large buildings.

If I were you I would also consider parts of East Elmhurst that border Jackson Heights - this is NOT the same as Elmhurst - in fact the two areas do not connect. East Elmhurst sits between JH and Laguardia airport. There are lots of 3 family homes and there may be more basement rental opportunities. Sometimes the listings on craigslist that say Jackson Heights are actually located in East Elmhurst. The border is bascially Northern Blvd.

I would actually also suggest Elmhurst itself, which borders JH on the other side. Both Elmhurst and East Elmhurst are cheaper than JH.

And I don't know all that much about Ridgewood, Queens but I think the rentals are also more likely to be in private homes; it's a pretty safe area as far as I know and it has train access so that might be one to add to your list.

Btw, I found it really funny that City Data automatically considered the "C U M" in "C u m Laude" to be a dirty word!

Old 08-20-2008, 02:01 PM

16 posts, read 24,722 times
Thank you for your suggestions. I wasn't too sure about Elmhurst, reading some of ppl's posts on it I was afraid to look there or anywhere else where there were bad/unsafe sections. I didn't want to look into any areas that I wasn't familiar with the borders of what was safe/unsafe.

Henna, I had the same thought about summa laude, thought about changing it, but figured eh, whoever reads it will figure it out.

I was wondering, if we wander through neighborhoods, will we see signs listing apartments for rent? Here ppl just post them in their windows, but I don't know about there. One of the ways we had considered searching was wandering through neighborhoods, but if ppl don't post signs I don't know how effective that would be.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:29 PM

730 posts, read 2,530,349 times
have you considered Brooklyn? My coworker has a 1 bedroom in Bensonhurst in a private home and she really loves it there. You can still get apartments there for under $1,000

Old 08-20-2008, 02:32 PM

107 posts, read 317,049 times
Default Jackson Heights: where no English is spoken

To the OP:

I grew up in Jackson Heights. Jackson Heights is ghetto. If you live there, you had better brush up on your Spanish. Rego Park is kind of crappy too. Astoria is getting better. Kew Gardens and Forest Hills are cute and have stuff to do, but are further from Manhattan.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:35 PM

317 posts, read 1,015,177 times
You might want to check out Woodside as well. It tends to be cheaper than the areas you mentioned and borders Jackson Heights, Elmhurst, Astoria, Sunnyside, Maspeth... depending on where you are in the neighborhood.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:11 PM

467 posts, read 1,497,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuvopolis View Post
To the OP:

I grew up in Jackson Heights. Jackson Heights is ghetto. If you live there, you had better brush up on your Spanish. Rego Park is kind of crappy too. Astoria is getting better. Kew Gardens and Forest Hills are cute and have stuff to do, but are further from Manhattan.
Jackson Heights is FAR from ghetto. I'm there every day for work, and with friends. I love the neighborhood. I think it has great food, it's pretty, and a cool neighborhood. I would live there, but I don't want to live that close to the school I teach at. Maybe Roosevelt area can be shady at night, but overall it's a beautiful neighborhood, and overall it's safe. Just because it is predominately Latino, doesn't mean it's ghetto.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:15 PM

467 posts, read 1,497,774 times
I think it's going to be hard to find a place less than $1000, unless it's a studio, or a basement apt like Henna mentioned. Astoria and Forest Hills are probably the most expensive of the neighborhoods you mentioned. I agree about checking out Woodside, or Sunnyside (though, I think Sunnyside is getting more expensive lately).

Personally, I love Astoria and Jackson Heights. I live in a 3br in Astoria currently. The neighborhood is great: great food, diverse, Astoria Park is beautiful, safe.

All the neighborhoods you mentioned are safe. Good luck! You might have an easier time if you can increase your price range a little more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City