U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 10:32 AM

11,562 posts, read 15,719,742 times

Advertisements

Curious, when i got my apartment 3 years ago my landlord said he either could do a credit check for $50(I'm not certain if there was a fee or not) or simply have me give him 12 cancelled rent receipts from the past year. I did the latter and i got the apt

I'm curious if the landlord can still get a Consumer Credit Report on me without my paying the $50 if he wanted to snoop

I recalled seeing something in the lease or lease riders about the landlord's right to procure a Consumer Credit report for up to 5 years after the initial lease signing

I have no issues with my landlord, I'm just curious if he could find out anything in my report without my paying the fee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 10:45 AM

1,867 posts, read 2,619,902 times
Paying the fee is not the issue. You must give written signed permission for the LL to do a credit check on you. If you gave that permission in the lease, that is probably sufficient. The credit companies that do these checks for landlords have websites that list what the LL must provide in order for them to run your credit report so you can check there to see what's needed.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:19 AM

31 posts, read 125,511 times
If I am not mistaken, the landlord does have to pay the fee to the credit bureau to run credit on you, whether or not it's $50 is probably up to the different company but I did recall there's fee involved.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:25 AM

1,867 posts, read 2,619,902 times
Yes, I'm sure the credit companies dont perform their services for free. However, whether or not the tenant paid the landlord a fee for the credit check is not the issue. The issue is whether the landlord has the written permission to run the credit check or not.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:29 AM

what do landlords see if they run your credit? FICO'S or details about late payments?

Old 08-20-2008, 11:41 AM

31 posts, read 125,511 times
I think they just see your credit score, how high or how low. I have never seen one though, hope this helps.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:06 PM

Each of the bureaus has their own credit scoring system which is different from FICO's.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:16 PM

3,143 posts, read 5,761,224 times
The credit check most property management services run is not the same as the credit reports from TRW, TransUnion or Equifax. There are agencies that package a report that emphasises real estate and housing data. They likely include some retail credit data, likely just a count of positive and negative items, but focus on rental payment history, mortgage payments, liens, public records such as evictions, court convictions, judgements, etc. They will have data on utility payment history such as phone, cable, water, electric.

These reports are more like background checks on anything housing related than they are credit reports. The landlord can obtain one anytime they wish as long as you have applied with them whether you give permission or not. They generally don't like spending their own money for it unless you give them good reason to be suspicious of you and refuse to pony up the money for it. The fact that the ll accepted a years worth of cancelled rent payment checks in lieu indicates he just wants some level of assurance that you have not run out on the rent at your last place.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:48 PM

They likely include some retail credit data, likely just a count of positive and negative items, but focus on rental payment history, mortgage payments, liens, public records such as evictions, court convictions, judgements, etc.

**if I paid late a few times at my old place (but otherwise there were no problems) would this show up on a rental payment history? I'm talking about getting hit twice with late fees in over a 10 year period

this leads me to another question I had. Last year I went to rent a car with a VISA checkdebit card and the rental company said they were doing a "credit check" from my VISA debit card. Knowing i had some late payments and not very good credit then (it's much better now) I got over -concerned and asked them to run the card prior to renting the car. They ran it through and everything was OK.

So I wonder why would they do a credit check from a debit card if the $$ for the rental is coming out of your checking account (somewhat similar to cash) and even if I used a credit card wouldn't the credit card in good standing serve as the "credit check"?

Old 08-20-2008, 12:59 PM

9,365 posts, read 15,822,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
this leads me to another question I had. Last year I went to rent a car with a VISA checkdebit card and the rental company said they were doing a "credit check" from my VISA debit card. Knowing i had some late payments and not very good credit then (it's much better now) I got over -concerned and asked them to run the card prior to renting the car. They ran it through and everything was OK.

So I wonder why would they do a credit check from a debit card if the $$ for the rental is coming out of your checking account (somewhat similar to cash) and even if I used a credit card wouldn't the credit card in good standing serve as the "credit check"?
A debit card does not offer the same protections to a rental agency or the consumer as a credit card in a car rental transaction, most notably in the form of vehicle insurance. Many credit cards offer LDW protection for cardholders, such that you do not need to purchase the additional coverage from the rental agent, and the rental company is assured that the vehicle is covered in the event of loss or accident. Some car insurance policies cover one in a rental vehicle and others do not, so that could be a reason why they would want to perform a credit check (though this would not be as involved as pulling detailed credit reports) prior to renting the vehicle.

I always use the same cards for car rentals, since I know the policy limitations and exclusions on the LDW, and for most cards, you may not switch to an alternative means of payment after the rental to preserve coverage. So, if you wanted to pay with your debit card, you're better off charging it to your credit card and transfering the money from your checking account to the credit card immediately thereafter, just in case there's an issue with the vehicle that the rental agency notices as it's prepared for rental again. Now, internationally, there are even more exclusions in place, say for certain countries like Great Britian and Ireland, and it's far simpler to factor in the higher cost of car rental with full insurance coverage, or purchase an inbetween coverage to limit, but not exclude any exposure you may have up to a certain monetary amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City