U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2008, 11:55 PM

71 posts, read 688,866 times

Advertisements

I'm asking to be sure so that in the event that I don't get hired ill know I did everything I could to secure this opportunity. In case you forgot, Ds stated, it is extremely hard to obtain a position in the LIRR as a conductor. So it's only practical that I maximize my chances of the opportunity by asking a fellow member that is employed by the agency and that has the experience.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 07:14 PM

6 posts, read 52,741 times
Dont focus on this particular position!!! Just get in. Once in you can branch off. There might be something you like that makes a lot of money as well.

Any questions feel free to leave a private message as well. I dont check this site often so please dont be offended if I take a while

GOOD LUCK

Old 09-24-2008, 11:45 PM

1 posts, read 6,066 times
Default Locomotive Engineer

I am actually in Phase 2 right now. You really dont have a life in this program, but its not the end of the world. You just have to have a strict study schedule and a good memory. Dont even bother applying if you are not the type who can sit and study a few hours a day. There is a very bright light at the end of the tunnel, so you have to use that as your motivation. After all the agony of just getting to phase 2 when I finally got my hands behind the controls of a Train it made it all VERY WORTH IT. If you make it past Phase 1 then you at least know you have what it takes to make it through phase 2. You just have to stay the course. We started with 12 in my class and are already down to 10. By the time all is said and done I think we will probably loose a few more. You can best compare this program to becoming a doctor or lawyer in 15 months.
First you actually have to be called in so good luck with that. If you do get a call make sure you really want this job before you go in for the first round because if your not fully committed to becoming and Engineer you are wasting your time and probably wont make it.

Time to go study. Good luck.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:53 AM

9,832 posts, read 21,491,753 times
LIRR is straight up robbing people with those fares.

But I see with these high salaries and pension/disability schemes where the fares are going.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:22 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,709,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
LIRR is straight up robbing people with those fares.

But I see with these high salaries and pension/disability schemes where the fares are going.
It would be really nice if people on the outside looking in wouldn't make comments like this. I work for MTA too, although I'm with NYCT rather than LIRR. Higher fares are not going for salaries and pension "schemes," as you put it.

If you really believe that we have some sort of phenomenal deal going, then you should be checking the Chief for exam postings, and come join us.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:06 AM

Well said Fred well said!!!

Old 09-25-2008, 11:21 AM

2,331 posts, read 4,843,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
It would be really nice if people on the outside looking in wouldn't make comments like this. I work for MTA too, although I'm with NYCT rather than LIRR. Higher fares are not going for salaries and pension "schemes," as you put it.

If you really believe that we have some sort of phenomenal deal going, then you should be checking the Chief for exam postings, and come join us.
There was a long article in last Sunday's New York Times on how just about every LIRR conductor or engineer is out on permanent disability. It is a total scam.

Having said that, engineers should be highly paid because they are responsible for the lives of thousands of passengers. But somehow, conductors should be phased out, and just be limited to one per train. A metro-card system should be created, just like NYC. Access to the platforms would be via turnstiles and gates, so the rides would be pre-paid. It would also get rid of the freeloaders who hide in the bathrooms and who find other ways not to pay. The cost to run the railroad would plummet. Don't know if it is physically possible to implement this, but it's worth the thought.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:45 AM

9,832 posts, read 21,491,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post

Fred I happen to feel NYCT workers are underpaid. LIRR is a whole other bag.

That being said I happen to have the "luxury," of having to go into LI using the LIRR for work purposes from time to time and I think I can confidently say the LIRR fares are a rip-off, oh and they just raised them recently too. The pension schemes were all over the papers.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 09-25-2008 at 11:56 AM..

Old 09-25-2008, 12:21 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,709,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
There was a long article in last Sunday's New York Times on how just about every LIRR conductor or engineer is out on permanent disability. It is a total scam.
If true, then LIRR really is operating in a different universe. I can tell you that here at NYCT, you have to go through a fair approximation of hell to get disability.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if this has something to do with the classifications of the different systems. LIRR is officially designated as a railroad, and therefore falls under Federal guidelines. The subways in the city are officially classified not as a railroad, but as an urban transit system. This may explain the disparities.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:06 PM

Here is what actually happens. LIRR employees no matter the craft retire at 57. Now from 57 to 62 for those 5 years they get disability. This disability is taken out of everyone pay at the Rail Road just in case. What was happening is that they were being granted these funds for from the ages of 57 til 62 until they receive their social security funds.

you guys say scam I say great job LIRR for taken care of your own!!!

Thats what any employee would want, a company that will take care ($$$$$) of them.

Am I right???

YOU DAMN RIGHT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City