U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 09:01 AM

71 posts, read 528,346 times

Advertisements

I'm 22 y/o and am would like to know if anyone here could give me an idea of the yearly salary with O.T. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 10:13 AM

1,119 posts, read 4,411,184 times
https://employment.mta.info/psc/hph1..._VIEW_JOBS.GBL Click on LIRR jobs and search for Locomotive Engineer. It tells you everything.

$35/hr for 100% pay rate. So that's maybe $70,000+, with OT, maybe $85k+.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:37 PM

40,059 posts, read 20,017,663 times
Just in case you're interested, I believe that conductors on LIRR collect fares...which means that they occasionally get robbed. Conductors on New York City Transit don't have that problem--and the exam for NYCT conductors will begin filing on September 3.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:23 AM

yeah i saw that notice thats why i was asking about the average salary AFTER O.T...
NYCT pays too low though... which is why i was looking at the LIRR. And I wouldn't be too worried about being robbed on the LIRR, considering that the MTA police are almost always on board with you during the ride. They have full peace officer powers in Conneticut as well as New York. =D

Old 08-23-2008, 06:01 PM

242 posts, read 650,843 times
LIRR is a tough job to get, since the requirements are low and the top pay is very high, so it helps to have a hook. Be prepared to work weird hours and to learn to drive the train, people do wash out of the training program.
I don't think the conductors get robbed very often though, most people buy their tickets at the station, so i can't imagine them carrying very money.

I sent them a bunch of resumes when i was younger, recieved confirmation that they got them and...... never heard back. Anyway, good luck!

Old 08-23-2008, 06:11 PM

40,059 posts, read 20,017,663 times
It's about the same with Metro North--which you could also try applying for.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:01 PM

6 posts, read 36,835 times
Hey whats up everyone!!!

I can answer your questions about the LIRR. I am a Locomotive engineer for the railroad. First off its really hard to get in. I started off as a cleaner and after 1yr applied. Step one is an aptitude exam. Next is a graded panel interview. Next is a signal and definition exam. 40 of each and you must know the defs verbatim. If you miss 1 signal you are DONE. Next is another interview. Then if all goes well you will enter phase 1 which is memorization of the book of codes and rules. the classes are Wed eve and all day sat. there are exams every wed. If you fail 1 you are OUT. On the final exam they will ONLY take the top 8 scores. All other people must wait til next class but you are guaranteed a spot if you pass. After this you are still NOT in. The next part is phase 2 which is on the job training/probation. If you fail any part you are again OUT!!! This part is compensated. After the year then you are a full blown Locomotive Engineer. 35.189 an hour and you will get a 5k bonus for going through all the previous bs mentioned.

Avg salary about 120k. There are a lot of perks that will increase your pay. For instance if you switch equipment (trains) thats 8 hours pay time and a half. if you are asked to move a train from track 1 to track 2 thats another 8 hours time and a half. All this is done on your 8 hour shift so you can just work 40 hours a wk and get paid for 60+ and the 20+ are time and a half. If you are willing to work in the city starting point bk or penn station then you can get nice hours. Any where else you will have worse hours.

Any other questions FEEL FREE

later

Last edited by Viralmd; 09-09-2008 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: inappropriate language

Old 09-10-2008, 11:09 PM

Thanks for the info ds, I know someone that works for the LIRR (not as an engineer though) would it help if I put them down when they ask if I know anyone that works for the LIRR? Im 22 and in college but desperately need a job right now and I've always loved trains so I think that would be a great plus but is competition that fierce? Is there anything I can do to make me stand out as an applicant? I have experience in working in the IT field and have a seldom ass. manager exp. Also do they drug test with hair or urine samples? Sorry for all the questions, I very much appreciate any insight. =)

Old 09-11-2008, 11:41 PM

bump, ds where are you =(

Old 09-11-2008, 11:51 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,411,184 times
Just apply. It won't hurt you, same with all the other jobs you're looking in to...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City