Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 08:36 AM

173 posts, read 192,507 times

Advertisements

Yes after everything, they finally got the significant raise they have yearned for: IT'S NYPD 'GREEN' FOR COPS - New York Post What they will get: -Rookie pay raised from $36,000 to $42,000 a year -After 5 1/2 years they are paid $76,488, compared to the present $65,382. -The pay spikes to approximately $91,823 when longevity boosts, holiday pay and night-shift differentials are added in, the city said. All this with just an AA from any community college! Why did they not also raise the minimum requirements to a 4 year degree? We want the best..we are paying for the best...but not even a basic 4 years degree? Shameful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 08:53 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,132 times
I am not sure that having a 4 year degree vs not having one makes you "better" necessarily. There is plenty of scum out there with all kinds of degrees and a lot of hardworking people with no degree. Have they done some type of study in the police force that proves the problems are coming from people without higher education?

Old 08-22-2008, 08:54 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,229 times
I think a four year degree would be great. A previous police commissioner though so but he met a lot of opposition with that. Can't remember his name.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:03 AM

1,121 posts, read 6,552,262 times
Workload to pay ratio. That's what's it's all about.

I'll be the first in this thread to congratulate those guys. They deserve it. Now only if EMS gets a nice little as well, all is fine and dandy.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:04 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
I think getting a 4 year degree like someone pointed out doesn't guarantee the best. I went to college with all kinds of scummy people, and quite a few managed to graduate.

Two year degree requirement for beat PO's is fine. What do you need a 4-year degree for? If your concerned about the quality of applicants, make the academy and the test harder.

They should have no problems recruiting now, and should be able to pick amongst a better pool of applicants.

But congrats to them. They deserved a nice bump as despite what a lot of people say they do a good job overall.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:20 AM

1,121 posts, read 6,552,262 times
Correct me if I'm wrong, but a 4 year degree is required if you want to wear a white shirt in the department.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:20 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MottHavenDude View Post
Yes after everything, they finally got the significant raise they have yearned for: IT'S NYPD 'GREEN' FOR COPS - New York Post What they will get: -Rookie pay raised from $36,000 to $42,000 a year -After 5 1/2 years they are paid $76,488, compared to the present $65,382. -The pay spikes to approximately $91,823 when longevity boosts, holiday pay and night-shift differentials are added in, the city said. All this with just an AA from any community college! Why did they not also raise the minimum requirements to a 4 year degree? We want the best..we are paying for the best...but not even a basic 4 years degree? Shameful.
Only 27% of US adults have a 4 year college degree; it's not a "basic" requirement. Why should a police officer have to have one to his job effectively? Police officers have been doing their jobs effectively for years without this requirement and I really doubt that fighting crime has changed so much over the years that a 4 year degree is necessary nowadays. Being a police officer is a blue collar profession and I don't think we should force white collar requirements on them just because they're making as much money or more as many white collar professionals. And yes, there are some positions within the police department that do require extensive post-secondary training and thus require 4 year degrees.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:32 AM

173 posts, read 192,507 times
The point is that they are "NYC Finest" and they want the best. Clearly, any other profession's minimum requirement today is a college degree. So although this does not guarantee anything, and nobody claims it does, having a college educated force would be better for everyone, not just cops. They are now going to be paying these guys almost 6 figures, yet all they need is an AA? I think the city should demand a better quality of cop...and with that a 4 year degree.. ANY 4 year degree...should have also been included in the deal. I believe that it is not just a blue collar job, these guys carry guns, and have the power to ruin your life (as we have seen over and over again). Would you prefer a guy with a high school diploma carrying the gun, or one with a college degree? This isn't the post office or the DMV....the choices these guys make on a daily basis are life and death for themselves and the public....I know I would want cops to have 4 year degree...does not have to be from Yale.... And at these salaries....it should have been part of the deal. This is not asking much!

Old 08-22-2008, 09:39 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,229 times
absolutely life is full of excellent people with degrees as well as without degrees. there are idiots from harvard and outstanding individuals -well known like bill gates and just the regular joe/jane - doing an outstanding job wherever they work.

notwithstanding that a degree doesn't necessarily make one a genius or not, we are hard pressed to not recognize its necessity in certain occupations today whereas in the past that degree might not have been necessary. the world, the technology, the issues involved in day to day life for certain occupations make it now necessary for some jobs.

a cop is right out there in the spotlight. we're asking for better cops, we're giving them better salaries. we're asking them to use modern technology, psychology, be involved in the community at all levels, understand the dynamics of human relations, group and individual behavior, and in a city like nyc, to be culturally sensitive and politically aware, and finally to be able to speak and write effectively when issuing summonses, offering guidance to those in distress, and the list goes on.

so absolutely some degree is required. is a two year enough? is a four year the way to go? should there be a graded educational scale where as you move up the ladder, the educational requirements get adjusted, as another poster mentioned?

Old 08-22-2008, 09:46 AM

838 posts, read 1,210,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MottHavenDude View Post
I just posted something on this! This seems pretty appealing. I think I may want to be a cop. But I'm too sweet to fit in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City