U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-24-2008, 09:11 PM
 
1 posts, read 5,131 times
Reputation: 11
Default Fired from dsny?

I'm wondering what it takes to get fired from Sanitation once you've been there for 2+ yrs. My boyfriend works there. His urine has come up dirty twice; once last yr in August and again this yr in July for smoking weed. He was suspended 30days on the initial occurrence and this last time just 7 days but then had to sign some form agreeing to terms to go to a program, pay a fine upon successful completion of the program or termination if program fails or urine comes up dirty again. Also he's been AWOL 6 times this yr alone already and late several other times. Why does he still have his job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-24-2008, 09:30 PM
 
288 posts, read 507,040 times
Reputation: 63
Default Save your job and your life

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanitationwife View Post
I'm wondering what it takes to get fired from Sanitation once you've been there for 2+ yrs. My boyfriend works there. His urine has come up dirty twice; once last yr in August and again this yr in July for smoking weed. He was suspended 30days on the initial occurrence and this last time just 7 days but then had to sign some form agreeing to terms to go to a program, pay a fine upon successful completion of the program or termination if program fails or urine comes up dirty again. Also he's been AWOL 6 times this yr alone already and late several other times. Why does he still have his job?
THEY ARE LETTING HIM DIG HIMSELF A DEEPER HOLE THEN THEY WILL FIRE HIM.I'VE SEEN IT BEFORE MANY TIME'S .TELL YOUR BOYFRIEND HE IS A FOOL,HE HAS A GREAT JOB ,PENSION,TELL HIM TO GET HELP AND USE IT,"IS HE STILL GETTING HIGH" TELL HIM TO GO TO THE UNION HALL AND TALK TO HARRY N. THE UNION PRESIDENT HE WILL HELP HIM AND GUIDE HIM TO NOT ONLY SAVE HIS JOB BUT MOST OF ALL SAVE HIS LIFE.ANOTHER THING YOU SAY HE SIGNED THE PAPER AT HIS TRIAL BELIEVE ME WHEN I SAY IT IF HE COME'S UP DIRTY AGAIN HE WILL BE FIRED POINT BLANK,GOOD LUCK TO YOU BOTH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 11:02 PM
 
334 posts, read 497,000 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanitationwife View Post
I'm wondering what it takes to get fired from Sanitation once you've been there for 2+ yrs. My boyfriend works there. His urine has come up dirty twice; once last yr in August and again this yr in July for smoking weed. He was suspended 30days on the initial occurrence and this last time just 7 days but then had to sign some form agreeing to terms to go to a program, pay a fine upon successful completion of the program or termination if program fails or urine comes up dirty again. Also he's been AWOL 6 times this yr alone already and late several other times. Why does he still have his job?

interesting.... I wonder if i can see who this guy is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2008, 03:58 AM
 
Location: Neither here nor there
1,810 posts, read 4,018,320 times
Reputation: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon7280 View Post
interesting.... I wonder if i can see who this guy is.
He still has his job because of the union,if he didn't then he would have been fired a long time ago. I wonder how many people like him are in DSNY. There should be zero tolerance for workers who do drugs. There are thousands of people on the current list for DSNY who really want this job bad.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2008, 12:33 PM
 
899 posts, read 2,492,754 times
Reputation: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
He still has his job because of the union,if he didn't then he would have been fired a long time ago. I wonder how many people like him are in DSNY. There should be zero tolerance for workers who do drugs. There are thousands of people on the current list for DSNY who really want this job bad.....
I can't speak for the AWOL's, but participating in a drug rehab program is appropriate for his drug issues in my opinion. If he stiill messes up after that he should be fired. It does not matter how many people want the job. If one of your workers truly has a drug problem you should try to help them, especially if they are not acting crazy on the job and embarrassing the company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2008, 12:56 PM
 
173 posts, read 36,709 times
Reputation: 31
Its call the Union..and its the same reason we have corrupt cops getting slaps on the wrist for attacking civilians, the same reason we have Con-Edison technicians parking in public parks and sleeping for 3 hours, the same reason we have a 10 person MTA crew for a 2 man job (8 people have to watch/chat/eat and sleep while the 2 actually do work), the same reason we have the bumbling fools at the post office who don't know a stamped envelope from a napkin, the same reason we spend the most per student of any school system in the country but have the worst schools in the country (teacher's union..yay!)....see a trend here? Unions = corruption/money suckers/mob/abuse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2008, 06:05 PM
 
239 posts, read 356,321 times
Reputation: 41
I had 2 guys in my garage who got fired because of this in the past 4 years and another who was fired for DUI.Your boyfriend needs to get help and get help NOW.People thinks just because they made there 12 month probation there safe the truth is the city has 36 months (3 years ) to fire you .The difference between the first 12 month and the next 24 is the unio can't fight for you in the first year.After the first 36 months it gets harder for them to fire you BUT THEY CAN AND WILL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2008, 09:56 PM
 
242 posts, read 628,872 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MottHavenDude View Post
Its call the Union..and its the same reason we have corrupt cops getting slaps on the wrist for attacking civilians, the same reason we have Con-Edison technicians parking in public parks and sleeping for 3 hours, the same reason we have a 10 person MTA crew for a 2 man job (8 people have to watch/chat/eat and sleep while the 2 actually do work), the same reason we have the bumbling fools at the post office who don't know a stamped envelope from a napkin, the same reason we spend the most per student of any school system in the country but have the worst schools in the country (teacher's union..yay!)....see a trend here? Unions = corruption/money suckers/mob/abuse
Yeah who needs Unions looking out for worker safety? Lets just trust employers to maintain safe working conditions, give decent benefits, and not fire older employees who earn too much. Imagine if we could travel back to those glorious days of 1800s when there were no unions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2008, 02:16 PM
 
Location: staten island
655 posts, read 942,662 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrock247 View Post
Yeah who needs Unions looking out for worker safety? Lets just trust employers to maintain safe working conditions, give decent benefits, and not fire older employees who earn too much. Imagine if we could travel back to those glorious days of 1800s when there were no unions.
Well said, this guy is just mad he does not belong to a strong union that fights for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2008, 07:50 PM
 
435 posts, read 1,041,084 times
Reputation: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanitationwife View Post
I'm wondering what it takes to get fired from Sanitation once you've been there for 2+ yrs. My boyfriend works there. His urine has come up dirty twice; once last yr in August and again this yr in July for smoking weed. He was suspended 30days on the initial occurrence and this last time just 7 days but then had to sign some form agreeing to terms to go to a program, pay a fine upon successful completion of the program or termination if program fails or urine comes up dirty again. Also he's been AWOL 6 times this yr alone already and late several other times. Why does he still have his job?
whats his nationality...everyone knows if your italian or irish your job with sanitation is pretty much safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top