Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 10:16 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,543 times

Advertisements

Ok, so my friends are coming in from town and want to spend NYE in Times Square and watch that ball drop. I've been living here for one NEW YEARS but haven't had an interest. They are set on being stupid and paying the extra $200 per plane ticket just to stand out in the miserable cold to watch it. I'm not saying that I might not do it one day..but I think it's a waste of half a day if they are coming only for 3-4 days. I dunno. Can someone please help me convince them not to come around NYE for that ball drop? I wanted them to save their money and come in February..plus..I really don't want to stand out in Times Square for 12 hours...or even 4-5 hours. I need good solid persuasion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 10:23 PM

467 posts, read 1,684,592 times
hmmm at Central Park they have an awesome fireworks show. Would they be interested in that? They have a midnight run and then the fireworks. I went once, and it was nice. Not too crowded. I would never go to Times Square, but out of towners seem to want to do that. Just throwing out another option? Or find a cool party for that NIGHT AND MAKE them go there.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:24 PM

242 posts, read 926,996 times
Tell them theres no open containers. I've actually done the ball twice. Once in high school (actually awesome snuck in bottle vodka and made friends with everyone around us) another time sucked cause we got crammed on some street where we could barely see the ball and were forced to not drink.

My best NYC New Years experience was going to a party at a bar that was a few blocks from time square where we were able to party, step outside aroun midnight to watch the ball drop and then went back in.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:27 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,634,102 times
Simple, tell them it will be 25 degrees out, with bitter, cold winds blowing at 25 mph between the canyons known as the NYC skyline. Tell them that it will be more than one million suckers-err- people that will stand in line for more than 24 hours in some cases between 7th and B'way watching an event that will climax in ONE MINUET! Tell them that there will be an army of police and national guards watching for any signs of "irnormal" activity and NYE in Times SQ is a protential terrorist target. If that doesn't work tell em'......

If you have to ****, the cops won't let you back on the line.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:27 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
I'd tell them that they're welcome to go to Times Square -- and that you'll watch for them on TV from the warmth and safety of your living room.

I went one time -- back in 1977(?) -- and let me tell ya, it's a mob scene! Even though it's more-or-less safe, it is VERY crowded. And what I remember most is that, from our vantage on the street, we couldn't even see the ball drop! Afterwards, we had to fight our way through the crowds back to the subway and it just took FOREVER to get home.

Never again .....

Old 08-25-2008, 10:40 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Tell 'em they might as well wear diapers b/c good luck finding somewhere to pee while you're waiting and holding your spot for all that time...

Brr...and cold is a diuretic, too...

Old 08-25-2008, 10:49 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,968 times
Be a gracious host and join them in Times Square. If you don't want to join them, don't. It's obviously something they (and thousands of others) want to do each year. It's their money. You're motive to talk them out of it is selfish.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:52 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I think the issue of him being a gracious host would make more sense if he had invited these friends in the first place. Give 'em a place to crash (in NYC, that is a big deal) and let them go if they want.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:52 PM

95 posts, read 452,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
Simple, tell them it will be 25 degrees out, with bitter, cold winds blowing at 25 mph between the canyons known as the NYC skyline. Tell them that it will be more than one million suckers-err- people that will stand in line for more than 24 hours in some cases between 7th and B'way watching an event that will climax in ONE MINUET! Tell them that there will be an army of police and national guards watching for any signs of "irnormal" activity and NYE in Times SQ is a protential terrorist target. If that doesn't work tell em'......

If you have to ****, the cops won't let you back on the line.
PERFECT ANSWER!!!

Old 08-26-2008, 09:26 AM

335 posts, read 1,113,264 times
Hey girlie. Just tell them you not going. If it is something they want to do them let them do it. A better option would be to go to a bar or club and party all night to the morning. You can drink, p*ss, sh*t, dance, stay warm....you get the point. lol You don't have to do anything you don't want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City