U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 02:31 PM

335 posts, read 717,848 times
Default Con Ed bill has doubled!

I know that the price for electricity has increased. But for it to double from one month to the next is crazy!! Has this happen to anyone else?

When I called con ed they try to say it is due to price increase. It has went up 25% So shouldn't the bill be 25% more and not double. And that does't explain why the electric uses went from 150 to 500. And I haven't been doing anything to increase it to my knowledge. Actually I try to cut back on my ac usage and unplug my electronics that I don't use. But obviously that is not working.

Is someone stealing my electricity?? Is this a con ed scam? Someone please explain it to me or throw some advice my way. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 02:33 PM

173 posts, read 40,980 times
Hey dude...did they do an actual meter reading or was it an estimate? When I get estimates for some reason it is typically double what my actual usage is. Then they come back the following month and "correct" the bill..and I have a fat credit....

Old 08-27-2008, 02:39 PM

In may the bill was 61.49 They had to do an estimate in june and july. The actual reading came back that those two months totaled 275.66. For August there was another estimate reading for 174. Only god know what the actual reading will be. For the past year i've lived there my bill hasn't passed 90.71 From march - may it has been in the $60's. And then June and July 275.66

Old 08-27-2008, 03:09 PM

7,081 posts, read 24,184,135 times
And how much air conditioning did you use? People frequently underestimate the cost of using an air conditioner.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:14 PM

2,954 posts, read 7,723,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MottHavenDude View Post
Hey dude...did they do an actual meter reading or was it an estimate? When I get estimates for some reason it is typically double what my actual usage is. Then they come back the following month and "correct" the bill..and I have a fat credit....
This is a great point. My uncle, who's never home for a reading, had about 8 months of estimated readings last year. This was mostly the warmer months (March-November) and the bills were high. Con Ed had him owing something like $2600 since he was past due. Next thing you know they come over and actually do a reading, and their estimates were off by $3500. So he actually had a credit of over $900 and didn't pay Con Ed for a while.

While some people underestimate the cost of AC (heating or cooling anything, whether AC or a fridge, is the most energy-intensive thing there is in most homes), Con Ed in their estimated bills often over-estimates usage. I have wondered if this isn't a way to get money up front, and earn bank interest on it or have capital on hand to invest in something else, and they don't mind giving a credit later since they've made money off your money in the meantime.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
And how much air conditioning did you use? People frequently underestimate the cost of using an air conditioner.
I don't know how much a/c I use. but I do know that I'm not home mon - fri generally from 7:30 am - 5:30 pm. I try to keep it on 70 when I'm there. And it's always kept on energy saving setting. During the night it turns off and turns back on again I guess to keep it at 70. Anyways I have a list of the electric uses since I've been there. And the uses has never pass 250 (i think) so it's suprising to me that it jumped from 150 in may to about 500 in june.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:37 PM

625 posts, read 1,495,573 times
My bill went up substantially as well, almost double. My bill last summer, with all that a/c, was around $90-$100 per month. This summer it has been $160-$180 per month. My super's bill, who has a two-bedroom (I have a studio), was around $400 per month!

I don't really recall using the a/c any more this summer than last summer, but even if I did, not that much!

Old 08-27-2008, 06:57 PM

Oh okay. yeah thats a lot too esp for a studio. I live in a one bedroom. My mom lives in a two bedroom and her con ed bill isn't as much as mine.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:02 PM

8,904 posts, read 6,403,908 times
My bill was so high too. There was another thread about this with an article that said that ConEd is increasing charges by 33% or something.

Anyway, I was only home about 4 of the days that the bill was for. I have a fridge half the size of a normal fridge. My apartment is a fairly small 1 bedroom apartment. Those 4 days I was here, I had my fan on probably 3 of those days, that's all. My bill was still $35. I just don't see how it was that high considering I was only here 4 of the days. I called and they told me it was estimated since they couldn't reach my landlord to read the meters in the basement. I hope it's a lot cheaper next month. It isn't that fair, because someone else was in this apartment this time last year, which was when the time it was estimated with. My landlord said they were a teacher (so home longer than most who work, since it's summer), and told me she had the AC in the window. They probably used a lot more electricity compared to me.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 9,821 times
Angry Con-Ed bill Ridiculous

Here's a kicker people. I used to live in a 5 bed 3 bath 3,600 Sqtf house in San Antonio, TX and the bill was never over 150.00. I had two air conditioning units that ran 8 months out of the year.

Now I live in a Studio in a high rise bldg that's under 500 sqft in midtown east and for the month of August paid 225.37!!! ???

How is this right? How do the residence of NYC accept this kind of service? Delivery Charge....What is that? I don't understand why there aren't people revolting in the streets.

When I called con-ed they gave me the same crap about prices being higher this year from last, but come on? I used to live in a 400sqft studio in Brooklyn Heights and the charges were never above 150.00. The charges shouldn't be this far off?

The guy from con-ed said everyone is entitled to do there own meter reading and call it in, so I intend on doing that on the 29th. Maybe this will help others too.

Last edited by Viralmd; 09-24-2008 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: Inappropriate language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City