Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 03:55 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,544,831 times

Advertisements

Someone mentioned to me that the Queensview co-ops in LIC are a good deal. It seems like they are priced way below market prices. Can anyone tell me why they're so inexpensive and what is the area is like? Are they Mitchell-Lama? Please tell me all that you know.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 06:31 PM

317 posts, read 1,144,047 times
I hear the buildings aren't bad, although I've never been inside. They're close to Queensbridge, though - that may or may not be a concern to you.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:57 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,544,831 times
Do you know how close they are to Queensbridge? Would there be a serious safety problem?

Old 08-27-2008, 08:04 PM

317 posts, read 1,144,047 times
Sorry, I meant to say it's next to Ravenswood - I was thinking Queensbridge because of the similar name. Queensbridge is farther south.

Ravenswood is right there - it depends on where you are in Queensview, but they're right next to each other. If you're on the 34th Ave side, they are across the street, but if you're on the 33rd Road side, that's the far side of the complex.

Ravenswood isn't THAT bad, though, so I guess it comes down to your comfort level. If you don't mind living a block away from projects, it's probably worth taking a look. I doubt safety would be a serious concern.

That said, though, I've never actually been in the buildings (Queensview), so I don't really know much about them other than I heard they were decent. Maybe someone else has some firsthand info.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:23 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,117,398 times
There is a long thread on queensview on the astorians site
Queensview Co-Op

Old 10-17-2008, 08:08 AM

1 posts, read 14,812 times
Default Nice place to live

I was brought up in Queenview and had two apartments of my own. I live in CT but still keep my 4 1/2 room apartment. My rent is $744 per month with gas and electric included. I'm not sure about the price but I think it's about $175,000.

The Queensview Apartments are well below market price. They are a closed end coop which mean the price is determined by the coop and not market price. They were built in 1949 as middle class housing with a 30 year tax abatement. Although the coop could go "open" in the future, the residents have chosen to keep the current systemn which makes the apartments affordable for new residents. There is a waiting list. Give them a call and I'm sure the office will set up a meeting and short tour. There number is 718-728-5090.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:35 AM

103 posts, read 448,398 times
I lived in Queensview for about 12 years before moving to Westchester. It is absolutely the best deal around, apartments are nice and you can't beat the location. Train ride from Broadway in Astoria to 42 Street takes less than 30 min! Safety is NOT a concern at all - I had to come home very late at night, and my teenage daughter did the same, and there were no issues whatsoever. Plus, there is 24 hours security in the development. I lived in the building on 34 avenue, right across the street from Ravenswood and never had a single problem with them.
The complex has a nice layout with a basketball court and playground, and sort of a park-like setting - it looks different (read - NICE) from the rest of residential blocks in Astoria.
There was always a long waiting list for larger apartments (2 and 3 BR), it is easier to buy 1 BR and then transfer from the internal list. But you should definitely call and find out what the situation is right now.
Good luck!!!

Old 03-31-2009, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 14,205 times
My sister presently lives in Queensview. It is a very nice place. She has been there well over 15 years. It is a clean, mostly quite place. You don't see a lot of children. But there are some. There are a lot of elderly residents. Its a mixed community. parking lots everywhere. Heat has been a problem this winter, but thats a first. Apartments are large and plenty of closets. Kitchen is tiny though. I am looking into moving here also.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:59 PM

749 posts, read 2,454,097 times
Queensview looks like the hood but it's actually nice. I guess it's like Stuyvesant town in the East Village, but MUCH cheaper. That area is extremely quiet and you're right off all of the nice restaurants and shops on Broadway and the N/W on 31st street, which is about a 2 min walk. I've walked through there at all times of the day and didn't feel unsafe at all. There's no one hanging out at night, it's very quiet. Ravenswood is worse, but still not terrible. Queensbridge, I would describe as terrible, but then again it's not infamous for nothing.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:25 AM

1 posts, read 13,767 times
So what is needed to be able to be approved to buy one of these condos? Is it easy? it would be my first attempt at buying and i want to know what im getting into, im young but have a family and those prices seem really affordable, id like to know more anythin you can give me, tips or anything i would appreciate it. thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City