Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 09:12 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,984,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90'sHip_Hop_Head View Post
Aint it kind of foolish to close your eyes and listen to music at the same time!?...that makes you completely unaware...its like being blind and partially deaf at the same time.

IMO you'll be a perfect target for a theif!!!
I've done this everyday for the past 6 years or so.. it's really not that bad; you just need to know where you are.. there might be some areas that you'd prefer to be awake in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 10:45 AM

3 posts, read 5,755 times
For me, I always carry a book to read, I use MP3 player from time to time as well.

You know, after watching the movie:The Eye by Jessica Alba. I realized how peaceful it is to be blind. Try closing your eyes on subway and bus, there is no more weird eye contact and you just put you in another world by yourself. Try it for yourself !!!

Jay

Old 09-17-2008, 10:49 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
I've done this everyday for the past 6 years or so.. it's really not that bad; you just need to know where you are.. there might be some areas that you'd prefer to be awake in.
I'm in the same boat. I have a 70-minute commute (50-60 of it on the 5) to and from work. Yes, you need eyes in the back of your head wherever you are and be cognizant of your surroundings but when you combine the motion of the train and some smooth tracks on your iPod, it's hard not to zone out or take a light nap.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:32 PM

353 posts, read 1,261,666 times
Quote:
LOL,

"The only problem was we almost missed our stop lol we woke up as the doors were opening lol" thats beyond lucky how crazy is that!!!

The trains in D.C. are alright they just need better views like trains in NYC...NYC train views are to die for!(not literally but you know what im sayin').No im not from D.C. i just go there with friends from time to time.What part of VA did you live in?
I currently live in DC and agree that DC trains aren't as interesting as NYC ones. NYC ones have plenty of colorful characters. During one of my trips I saw a homeless woman begging for change, but however her weave, leather jacket, manicure and pedicure (she was wearing NO shoes!) seemed to be pulled together.

And no one's bothered me on the NYC trains, whereas some sketchy guy is always trying to talk to me on the DC ones. The most someone's come to talking to me on NYC trains is asking for directions (I must blend in well if someone mistakes me for a local) and a homeless man trying to offer me a piece of hard candy from his pocket (I shook my head "no" and he let me be). Those instances are a relief compared to what I deal with in DC (homeless people incessantly begging for change, kids causing trouble, sketchy guys). Other than that, my NYC train rides are pretty uneventful and problem-free.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:39 PM

296 posts, read 734,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingfree View Post
I currently live in DC and agree that DC trains aren't as interesting as NYC ones. NYC ones have plenty of colorful characters. During one of my trips I saw a homeless woman begging for change, but however her weave, leather jacket, manicure and pedicure (she was wearing NO shoes!) seemed to be pulled together.

And no one's bothered me on the NYC trains, whereas some sketchy guy is always trying to talk to me on the DC ones. The most someone's come to talking to me on NYC trains is asking for directions (I must blend in well if someone mistakes me for a local) and a homeless man trying to offer me a piece of hard candy from his pocket (I shook my head "no" and he let me be). Those instances are a relief compared to what I deal with in DC (homeless people incessantly begging for change, kids causing trouble, sketchy guys). Other than that, my NYC train rides are pretty uneventful and problem-free.

I was with friends on all of my train rides in D.C. so the sketchy guys on D.C. trains let "us" be they usually try to screw with the people who are by themselves.Which city do you like better?

Old 09-17-2008, 04:29 PM

22 posts, read 70,835 times
I hate when people stare at me on the train...or the bus. It always makes me feel like I have something on my face or something!

I usually do reading for college on the train though.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:43 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
I had a tiny awkward moment today.

The story starts a few days ago when I bought new wire shelving unit. It has essentially 4 long poles and the first step is threading the bottom shelf on all 4 poles at once (starting at the top) so the shelf ends up on the floor and the poles are all vertical. Well... I had a little trouble with this step - I was kind of hugging the 4 poles at the same time as I was letting the shelf come down toward the floor.

Unfortunately as the edge of the shelf was sliding down the pole, the skin on my inner bicep got in the way and the skin briefly got caught (pinched). It was painful and made an instant perfectly circular dark bruise about the size of a quarter.

Today I was wearing a short-sleeved shirt and most of the day I don't think the bruise was visible because it's on the inside of my arm facing my body.

However, that changed when I rode the train at rush hour and had to reach up to grab a pole to hang on. The ugly bruise was right in front of a few peoples' faces!!

I saw one guy look at it - probably in disgust. I wanted to explain, but the explanation would have probably made me look worse. Since I was on the 7 train and I'm learning Spanish I also practiced the explanation in Spanish in my head. But I'm a beginner and the best I could come up with would have translated loosely "It's an accident of making furniture." In the unlikely event someone asks me what happened to my arm in Spanish, that explanation will not get me very far.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:21 PM

296 posts, read 734,468 times
How are you learning spanish henna by book?...I should of payed attention in spanish class in High school now i want to learn it again also!!!...whats the best way to do this any ideas besides having hispanic friends???....I have hispanic friends...lazy hispanic friends that dont wanna teach me squat!

Old 09-17-2008, 11:51 PM

59 posts, read 238,185 times
Quote:
How are you learning spanish henna by book?...I should of payed attention in spanish class in High school now i want to learn it again also!!!...whats the best way to do this any ideas besides having hispanic friends???....I have hispanic friends...lazy hispanic friends that dont wanna teach me squat!
LOL. I heard that Rosetta Stone was a good way to learn but its kinda expensive. I have been interested in learning myself and like you I didnt pay attention in class either lol. I know in GA if you have a library card you can go onto the libraries website an use Rosetta Stone online for free. Im not sure about VA but you should check with your library there and find out if they offer that.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:12 AM

71 posts, read 149,310 times
Quote:
Aint it kind of foolish to close your eyes and listen to music at the same time!?...that makes you completely unaware...its like being blind and partially deaf at the same time.

IMO you'll be a perfect target for a theif!!!
I probably wouldn't sleep on the train at 2 AM but usually there's enough people where nobody would try and rob someone, and my wallet is secure in my back pocket when I'm sitting.
Plus I kinda have this bearded, tattooed thing going on (in other words, I look much tougher than I actually am).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City