Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 02:14 PM

838 posts, read 1,210,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaHuff View Post
mir_ny, it is a custom to tip cab drivers, everyone does it. if you can afford to take a cab, one more buck for a tip wont break you. dont be cheap.
I was yelled by a cab driver once when i forgot to leave a tip.
If you go to the airport from the city, you should tip at least $5 on top of the fare.

I was a waitress in the city-people tip good. usually 20% or more. I was tipped 50-100% a few times. I was also a cotail waitress, and also people tipa a lot when they buy drinks. only cheap people leave one dollar.
If you're standing behind a bar and pouring me some alcohol from a hose..and it takes you maybe 10 seconds at the most..you're definitely lucky I'm even giving you a dollar. Especially considering you are getting AT LEAST a dollar off of all the other 100 drinks you pour that hour ($100/hr with NO college degree? I don't think ANYONE should be complaining lol) I suppose cocktail waitress is different though, as you have to walk around and really serve people etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
mir_ny, it is a custom to tip cab drivers, everyone does it. if you can afford to take a cab, one more buck for a tip wont break you. dont be cheap.
only cheap people leave one dollar.
BTW I made this thread so that people can be honest about their perceptions and what they give for tips..not for you to come on here and attempt to insult others. If you can't offer your opinion without trying to judge others for their honesty please find somewhere else to post.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:16 PM

317 posts, read 1,144,214 times
I was a delivery guy for a while. I once got a $27 tip off a $73 order. People generally gave me around $3. The worst tip I ever got was $1.10, from a lady who actually lived outside of our delivery radius... I remembered that.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:17 PM

335 posts, read 1,112,952 times
Quote:
I was yelled by a cab driver once when i forgot to leave a tip.
If you go to the airport from the city, you should tip at least $5 on top of the fare.

I was a waitress in the city-people tip good. usually 20% or more. I was tipped 50-100% a few times. I was also a cotail waitress, and also people tipa a lot when they buy drinks. only cheap people leave one dollar.
And everybody doesn't do it cuz like I said I only saw ONE person ever tip a cab driver. And it's my prerogative to tip people who I FEEl have provided me with good service. not standard or ordinary "it's my job so whatever service".

Why should I tip a cab driver who from the minute I hop in is talking on the phone to the minute I hop out and pauses the conversation long enough for me to tell him where I am going and to tell me how much?? YEAH GREAT SERVICE!!!

Last edited by Viralmd; 08-29-2008 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: Rude

Old 08-29-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minus View Post
I was a delivery guy for a while. I once got a $27 tip off a $73 order. People generally gave me around $3. The worst tip I ever got was $1.10, from a lady who actually lived outside of our delivery radius... I remembered that.
Yeah I was a waitress. It was backwards a lot. People who were easy to deal with and didn't order too much would give me up to 50% for a tip. Then there were those that let their kids throw milkshakes on the table..or had a party of 12, but left $2 or nothing! Luckily they never came back or else I would have added some laxatives to their drinks. eh eh eh

Old 08-29-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir_ny View Post
sweety you don't know everybody! And everybody doesn't do it cuz like I said I only saw ONE person ever tip a cab driver. And it's my prerogative to tip people who I FEEl have provided me with good service. not standard or ordinary "it's my job so whatever service".

Why should I tip a cab driver who from the minute I hop in is talking on the phone to the minute I hop out and pauses the conversation long enough for me to tell him where I am going and to tell me how much?? YEAH GREAT SERVICE!!!

FOR REAL! Thanks for keeping it real and having common sense...and using it!!! NO SHAME IN OUR GAME! LOL!

Old 08-29-2008, 02:20 PM

210 posts, read 971,880 times
page300, beign a bartender is a hard job, you probably don realize it, but they work hard, it is late at night, in a noisy place. they have to listen to people ***** and complain. if you are a girl, you have to tolerate men hitting on you and saying nasty things....i know how hard it is to be a bartender, so I tip good, but it is your personal choice how much to tip. I like seeing a smile on a bartenders/waiters face when they see my good tip. i am happy that i made them happy.
we were in this chinese restaurant once, it was not expensive, but we left a very good tip for the waitress. it was not that much for us. But we saw her showing the tip to the other waitress, all excited, and then they hugged. I was very happy. I remember when i was broke and getting a $20 tip would make my day.
And if i am going to a bar where i already spend around $100 a night on drinks and stuff, leaving a $3 tip on a drink wont really kill me.
As for cab drivers-i dont necessarily agree that you have to tip them, but as i said, i was yelled at by a cab drive once for not leaving the tip. I'd rather tip then listen to insults from a driver, and him cursing me out after i leave. I dont need that negative energy. I'd rather leave $1-2 and get it over with.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:31 PM

210 posts, read 971,880 times
mir, why are you so pissed?
i am not judging everyone. i am talking abotu what i personally do. you can do whatever you want with your tips. you dont have to tip at all if you dont want to, it is not mandatory, and it is not a law.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:31 PM

335 posts, read 1,112,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
FOR REAL! Thanks for keeping it real and having common sense...and using it!!! NO SHAME IN OUR GAME! LOL!
That is exactly it, common sense! I'm not about to give away my money to someone is just doing their job!!! Everybodys job is hard work and everybody is underpaid!!! Boo Hoo!!!

I'm still not tipping anybody for doing their job. it is what it is!!!

Old 08-29-2008, 02:32 PM

317 posts, read 1,144,214 times
I just remembered this - I was a runner for a while at a restaurant/bar a few years ago, and a couple had ordered a fairly expensive bottle of wine with their dinner. They only drank about 2/5 of it, and told me it was very good but they couldn't finish it, and they asked me if I wanted to keep it and take it home (in addition to leaving a fairly good tip). That, I thought, was real nice. And it WAS very good wine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City