Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 12:36 PM

4 posts, read 21,612 times

Advertisements

Limited? Did I miss something? You understand I am a New Yorker, right? I'm American. Maybe I'm a Dutch American who's cousin is married to a Beijinger but that doesn't mean I'm not a New Yorker born and raised. The only thing is from my 28 yrs of exp with this city is that I've moved on. I'm currently working in Amsterdam.

Really though how else did you think I came up with those "exaggerations based on my limited runs with NYC subways?" I went on an A train to catch the red eye to the Netherlands and it went from 3AM to 3:52AM. Sorry but 52 min is much closer to one hour than 30 min. and yes it isn't an isolated incident. I've done my fair share of straphanging and I can tell you 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,N,R,Q,B,D,F,L,G,M and any that I missed are all really really bad. I mean 1,2,3 are probably the best lines but that's where I came up with that 7-15 min wait during rush hour when I worked in the Fashion District in midtown. N,R,B,D,M and F are way worse, averaging the 15 min wait time during rush hour. I don't even want to sound mean or I could go into weekend service.

Since we're talking about Shanghai vs NYC I think I should point out that even if it was 5 min avg wait for a subway during rush hour is really sad when you know that Shanghai metro during their rush hour is on avg 2 min. WAYYY overcrowded but yes every 2 min you can expect a train. You can even be drunk. The LCD monitors at every station tell you how many seconds are left in your wait time. I think NYC just got those like last year and not even at every station. In fact if your wait is longer than 2 min a Shanghai local will ***** to high heaven if the train takes 2 min 15 secs to get to the station. It was hilarious with her screaming at the guy as the train was coming in. There are I dunno what to really call them but they stop people from getting on a train that's too crowded or if its taking too long to load and the train needs to pull out to stay on time for the next stop.

imho if it was the 24/7 thing that kept the MTA from fixing all these issues NYC has, I'd be all for doing like Tokyo or London and shutting down. They seem to be fine with it. Shanghai Metro closes at 10PM but then for all those drunks that needed that drink or two after work, they just take the taxi. You know they can use the same metrocard for taxis in Shanghai and the average cost is like 20RMB. When I lived in Shanghai that was the plan. I mean I don't drink but I do go to discos and that can go to the crack of dawn. There was one time my Shanghai friends and these two guys from Nagoya Japan wanted to karaoke for the whole night. At 5AM I hopped on a green taxi and paid 15RMB to get home.

But anyway I just saw that saobi the guy that started this discussion is just some troll that puts this topic up everywhere so I'm gonna stop. Just want to close by saying I'm still and always will be a New Yorker and I know there's tons of stuff going for us. We're still the home of the UN. We're still the financial center of the world even if that's not such a good thing right now. We're still the people that stood together on 9/11 and showed the world what being an American really means. But I've also lived in Shanghai and I've also been to other places so I'm not going to be so proud of being a New Yorker that I'm gonna excuse all its problems and pretend that it's still the best when I've seen better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 12:45 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Being an expat in Shanghai gives you a much better lifestyle than being a native in New York would get you. The only thing that's awful is being a domestic migrant from elsewhere in China living in Shanghai, but the fact that those are people whose experiences should count as well doesn't cross the minds of most of the expats in Shanghai.

I agree that NYC's mass transit system is in need of some serious overhaul and oversight compared to those brand new ones in many East Asian cities. Neither the government nor people really have the will to make that happen though. That and basic etiquette requirements for some straphangers.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:48 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,225,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolwut View Post
Limited? Did I miss something? You understand I am a New Yorker, right? I'm American. Maybe I'm a Dutch American who's cousin is married to a Beijinger but that doesn't mean I'm not a New Yorker born and raised. The only thing is from my 28 yrs of exp with this city is that I've moved on. I'm currently working in Amsterdam.

Really though how else did you think I came up with those "exaggerations based on my limited runs with NYC subways?" I went on an A train to catch the red eye to the Netherlands and it went from 3AM to 3:52AM. Sorry but 52 min is much closer to one hour than 30 min. and yes it isn't an isolated incident. I've done my fair share of straphanging and I can tell you 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,N,R,Q,B,D,F,L,G,M and any that I missed are all really really bad. I mean 1,2,3 are probably the best lines but that's where I came up with that 7-15 min wait during rush hour when I worked in the Fashion District in midtown. N,R,B,D,M and F are way worse, averaging the 15 min wait time during rush hour. I don't even want to sound mean or I could go into weekend service.

Since we're talking about Shanghai vs NYC I think I should point out that even if it was 5 min avg wait for a subway during rush hour is really sad when you know that Shanghai metro during their rush hour is on avg 2 min. WAYYY overcrowded but yes every 2 min you can expect a train. You can even be drunk. The LCD monitors at every station tell you how many seconds are left in your wait time. I think NYC just got those like last year and not even at every station. In fact if your wait is longer than 2 min a Shanghai local will ***** to high heaven if the train takes 2 min 15 secs to get to the station. It was hilarious with her screaming at the guy as the train was coming in. There are I dunno what to really call them but they stop people from getting on a train that's too crowded or if its taking too long to load and the train needs to pull out to stay on time for the next stop.

imho if it was the 24/7 thing that kept the MTA from fixing all these issues NYC has, I'd be all for doing like Tokyo or London and shutting down. They seem to be fine with it. Shanghai Metro closes at 10PM but then for all those drunks that needed that drink or two after work, they just take the taxi. You know they can use the same metrocard for taxis in Shanghai and the average cost is like 20RMB. When I lived in Shanghai that was the plan. I mean I don't drink but I do go to discos and that can go to the crack of dawn. There was one time my Shanghai friends and these two guys from Nagoya Japan wanted to karaoke for the whole night. At 5AM I hopped on a green taxi and paid 15RMB to get home.

But anyway I just saw that saobi the guy that started this discussion is just some troll that puts this topic up everywhere so I'm gonna stop. Just want to close by saying I'm still and always will be a New Yorker and I know there's tons of stuff going for us. We're still the home of the UN. We're still the financial center of the world even if that's not such a good thing right now. We're still the people that stood together on 9/11 and showed the world what being an American really means. But I've also lived in Shanghai and I've also been to other places so I'm not going to be so proud of being a New Yorker that I'm gonna excuse all its problems and pretend that it's still the best when I've seen better.
My apologies for making an assumption as to your experience. However, my 30yr experience with the MTA is quite different from your 28yrs. We will leave it at that.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:58 PM

188 posts, read 276,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolwut View Post

Old 07-18-2012, 11:57 AM

109 posts, read 343,669 times
Interesting article comparing costs in extending subway service. I think maintenance would about the same, more expensive than in Europe and much more expensive than China.

Quote:
Phase I of the Second Ave. Subway is one expensive project. Designed as a three-mile extension of the BMT Broadway line north from 57th St. and 7th Ave. to 96th St. and 2nd Ave., this route is, as SAS commenter Alon Levy has noted, the most expensive subway under construction. It’s budgeted at approximately $1.7 billion per kilometers while similar projects in Paris and Berlin have checked in at $250 million per kilometer and a London Tube extension cost $450 million per kilometer.

The costs of Second Ave. construction :: Second Ave. Sagas

Old 07-18-2012, 10:25 PM

7 posts, read 12,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaHuff View Post
I saw a pictures of a corpse of dead newborn baby girl on the sidewalk in some poor area of Shanghai, and people stepping over it. Since you can only have one child, people kill unwanted newborn girls and just throw them away.
But who cares, you can go out and eat at 3am, and you can get blow jobs for almost nothing on every corner from a hot chinese chick! I guess it denends on what you like-you are obviously at partying and going out all night long, getting cheap sex services, etc. Then yeah, go and have fun in Sanghain, definately much more "culture"

Yeah, and really who cares about theater and musemus-when you cant stuff your face with food at 3 am and get a $2 blow job from propably an underaged girl or boy.

As for transportation-i never had to wait for a train more then 2 minutes in New York, unless it is in the middle of the night.
I guess you only care about going out at night, thats it, how deep!
hey, are you talking about the Subway in present tense? I taking subway to work everyday, I've to wait average 8 -20 minutes for train. On weekends, it takes forever or it is not running.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:12 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,124,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cra234 View Post
hey, are you talking about the Subway in present tense? I taking subway to work everyday, I've to wait average 8 -20 minutes for train. On weekends, it takes forever or it is not running.
This sounds very weird. I have to conclude you are travelling at night to get to your job. Most trains run every 2-5 minutes during rush hours (6:30 - 9:30 a.m., and 3:30 - 8 p.m., Monday through Friday).

I do agree about the weekends, though. Sometimes best to avoid the lines that are having track work done altogether.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:06 PM

240 posts, read 621,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saobi View Post
Conclusion, New York City is much worse than Shanghai. Much much worse.

That may be. But every single day we get literally tens of thousands of Chinese citizens (expected to exceed 800,000 by 2013) coming to or thru NYC. How many Americans do you see visiting ..what's the name of that place again? .. oh, yeah ..Shanghai?

Ten?

Conclusion, Shanghai is much worse than NYC. Much much much much much much much much much much much worse.

http://www.cnngo.com/explorations/no...-places-733544

Old 07-19-2012, 08:31 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,533,770 times
Actually my roommate just got back from a two week vacation in China. Loved it...had a great time and did not really want to come back. Lots of up and coming cities (besides Shanghai)with brand new buildings, roads, great infrastructure, transportation, high speed rail, solar panels etc. Brand spanking new well maintained Subway system in Shanghai, not the dilapidated urine smelling rat shelter in NYC. She says in some respects USA seems almost like a third world country in comparison now, at least infrastructure wise. Figures, while they are busy building up their cities and country while we spend our borrowed money on war.

Just wait for the next 10 years or so, we are nearly at the intersection point between the two economies. Soon our young children will wonder how China could ever be considered a third world country and USA a developed one.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:06 PM

640 posts, read 717,429 times
Ni shi nuhaizi...yeah, you cats got a bird sanctuary...whatever...NYC is the epicenter of the civilized world...

..."Most of the big shore places were closed now and there were hardly any lights except the shadowy, moving glow of a ferryboat across the Sound. And as the moon rose higher the inessential houses began to melt away until gradually I became aware of the old island here that flowered once for Dutch sailors' eyes-a fresh, green breast of the new world. Its vanished trees, the trees that had made way for Gatsby's house, had once pandered in whispers to the last and greatest of all human dreams; for a transitory enchanted moment man must have held his breath in the presence of this continent, compelled into an aesthetic contemplation he neither understood nor desired, face to face for the last time in history with something commensurate to his capacity for wonder."...

...a place of wonderment and possibility...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City