Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 02:05 PM

110 posts, read 347,298 times

Advertisements

I really don't know myself. In my opinion, Brownsville and East New York are easily THE worst 2 hoods in NYC.

How is it like to live in these places? I only stop through ENY and the Ville often but never lived in BK a day in my life.

I grew up in Morris Hieghts, where I dealt with, robbers, stick-up people, grimey drug dealers, Latin Kings, Black P Stones, Bloods, and no good people. I was 10 years old when for the first time I experienced firsthand how if you are not on your sh*t, you can get got.

I was walking down Sedgewick Ave toward the Burnside then these two 20-something ish Hispanic dudes were on the corner looking like they were waiting for someone to scheme on. I walked passed obliviously not paying them or anyone else to much regard. As I approached them, one of them said, "I like your sneakers, son!", I looked down and as soon as I put my head down, the other one started punching me in my face and so did the one who spoke. I started to fight back then ran back down Sedgwick. I then decided to get to my place on Loring Pl South by using West Tremont ave. I don't know why but I looked back and the 2bd guy had some blade in his hand!!! I ran the f*ck outta there and never looked back until I got home.

Morris Hieghts isn't a high crime area which is some indication that in New York, anything can happen anywhere. Not to mention that alot of things including murders go completey unreported.

I would like and appreciate any and all feedback from anyone who lives in a shady area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 02:22 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,022 times
Morris Heights isn't a high crime area? What statistics are you reading?
I've been there several times because a friend lives there, and I've never seen anything bad, or shady.. but most people would consider that area, along with University Heights bordering it to the north as not such nice places.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Morris Heights isn't a high crime area? What statistics are you reading?
I've been there several times because a friend lives there, and I've never seen anything bad, or shady.. but most people would consider that area, along with University Heights bordering it to the north as not such nice places.

I LIVED there for 14 years that's how I know.

Statistics can be misleading but compared to many other hoods in the Bronx no it is not a high crime area and I have never seen any statistics saying otherwise. Live there, be raised there then comment, but thank you none the less

Old 09-03-2008, 04:50 PM

1,280 posts, read 2,443,221 times
I grew up on Southern Blvd. down by Jennings street in the Bronx, it wasn't as bad as most hoods, but all around me there were hoods you didn't really wanna hang around by yourself. 174st back in the 80's and 90's comes to mind, especially the Bronx River Projects. Elder Ave got pretty rough, I believe the cops use to close the block down past a certain time due to all the drug related murders. Not sure what those neighborhoods are like now, some things have changed, but it still looks pretty much the same

Old 09-03-2008, 08:29 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,345 times
Midtown, especially Times Square. What an awful place to be

Old 09-03-2008, 10:08 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,746 times
There are quite a few. And even the best neighborhoods can be unsafe depending on the time of day and the location. It just all depends on what you're used to and what you can afford.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:13 PM

536 posts, read 2,349,007 times
Most people on the street would probably give East New York and Brownsville as their answers based on reputation. Numbers-wise, I have no idea, changes year to year I assume.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:23 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysocks View Post
Most people on the street would probably give East New York and Brownsville as their answers based on reputation. Numbers-wise, I have no idea, changes year to year I assume.
The funny thing is that MOST of us who give that answer, have never been to either of those places, so we don't know how bad it really is or isn't, but the rep is so bad that I'm sure most of us aren't willing to visit either.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:40 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
I was born in Brownsville (it was a different neighborhood in those days--if I may understate a little!) and, as it happens, I've been back there a couple of times recently. Don't know that I could call it the worst one in the city; that's a subjective view. As George Orwell noted in 1984, the worst thing in the world is different for every person.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:18 AM

Yeah like I said in the original post, anything can happen anywhere. This is New York. Even Upstate cities are like that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City