U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-04-2008, 01:17 PM

4 posts, read 234 times
Default Latest Crime Stats NYC

Does anyone have the most recent crime stats for NYC? Let's see how the city is doing, since so many people have made dire predictions about rampant crime and chaos overtaking the city due to lower economic performance and all those "loser/thug/broke" cops on the force. Please post what you have..thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 05:56 PM

5,062 posts, read 11,449,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MottHavenBro View Post
Does anyone have the most recent crime stats for NYC? Let's see how the city is doing, since so many people have made dire predictions about rampant crime and chaos overtaking the city due to lower economic performance and all those "loser/thug/broke" cops on the force. Please post what you have..thanks.
Similar to last year. The murder rate has slowed down considerably however.

Southern Queens is way up in homicides (especially Corona).

Morrisania is way up.

East Tremont is way up.

Soundview is up.

Fordham-Bedford is way down.

East NY is way down.

Bed Stuy is down.

Central Harlem is way up.

East Harlem is down.

Lower Washington Heights is down.

I usually post my analyses at the end of the year. But those are some noteworthy notes.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:39 PM

468 posts, read 1,518,436 times
Is Central Harlem really "way up"? I know there were a couple well-publicized shootings but I didn't think it was that different from last year overall.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:56 PM

5,062 posts, read 11,449,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passdoubt View Post
Is Central Harlem really "way up"? I know there were a couple well-publicized shootings but I didn't think it was that different from last year overall.
The 32nd precinct in upper central Harlem has reported 10 homicides this year as compared to 4 at this point last year. This makes it a 150% increase.

The 28th precinct in lower central Harlem has reported 4 homicides this year. This is compared to 1 at this point last year. It represents a 300% chance increase.

So Central Harlem has 14 homicides this year as compared to 5 last year. I'd say that is being way up. But Central Harlem has always been rough, in recent years people think gentrification changed the area but a couple of years back it was the murder capital of the city. No surprise. The hood if there ever was one. And it still is.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:46 AM

15 posts, read 2,726 times
SuperMario...please post the link...and not just your opinions of "way up"....let's see the actual numbers, as well as last year's numbers.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:39 AM

7,780 posts, read 13,239,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Similar to last year. The murder rate has slowed down considerably however.

Southern Queens is way up in homicides (especially Corona).

Morrisania is way up.

East Tremont is way up.

Soundview is up.

Fordham-Bedford is way down.

East NY is way down.

Bed Stuy is down.

Central Harlem is way up.

East Harlem is down.

Lower Washington Heights is down.

I usually post my analyses at the end of the year. But those are some noteworthy notes.
Wow where have you been. I was wondering if you had left the site or something. Figures a crime thread would bring you back.

I'm curious to see the Fordham, Fordham-Bedford stats. It seems like the flooding of cops around there has helped a lot.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:51 AM

242 posts, read 632,789 times
NYPD - Office of the Chief of Department

every precinncts stats

Old 09-05-2008, 08:54 AM

15 posts, read 2,726 times
Can you summarize Jrock? It would be your good deed of the day..and would be helpful to the forum...2007 vs 2008. In Mott Haven (40th Precinct) crime is down even from the 40 year record low crime rate of 2007...looks like we will see possibly 2007's record low crime rate broken by 2008!...but it is still early. Just to put it in perspective about how things have changed: 1990 Murders were 72, 2007 were 11 (at this time) and 2008 is 9 (at this time)...and the overall decrease in crime this year vs this time last year is about 4%...it continues to drop despite the accussations of "dumb" cops, the fear mongering of recession, and all the other problems that were "guaranteed" to bring the city back to the chaos of the early 90s. It isn't happening, the city has turned a corner..and the change is real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City