U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 05:58 PM

3,369 posts, read 7,409,418 times
I don't think that our winters are that cold here in NYC; also, we don't get much snow. Other cities (Boston, Minneapolis, Cleveland, even Chicago) have much worse winters. This past winter was a joke!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 07:19 PM

338 posts, read 106,548 times
Florida has on average hotter and more humid summers than New York City.
However, it could be hotter on many days in NYC, and also periods of low humidity during the summer in NYC, while Florida is Hot & Very humid every day during the loong summer.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:36 AM

6,671 posts, read 10,502,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Thanks for posting. As an Ex-New Yorker when you factor in the worse summers in S. Florida where you aren't going outside a lot, it seems equivalent to our winters here. On average, would you say it's a wash then? Bad winters in NYC/stay indoors, Bad summers in Florida/stay indoors. Or is the winter in NYC worse to deal with than the summer in S. Florida?

Just your take since you've lived both places.
First I don't consider myself a ex new yorker. I am just on a LONG vacation

Secondly, your questions is very subjective. It depends on what you like personally, get me? I mean, I LOVE cold weather and I hate heat. I sweat a LOT and i am miserable during the summers. So, I think you have to experience for yourself the summers and see if its something you can handle. Also, the winters here, outside of a few days, really are not winters. They can be hot, just not as humid as the summer.

You also have to look at other factors, like what are you into? I mean, what are your hobbies, and will Florida offer you what you are looking for? There are TONS of things to do in NYC that are free and fun, but in S.E. Florida, not so much. Here is clubs, resturants and shopping. Events are generally for a fee, very few free (good) events. Then there are the locals, well i wont get into that one.

I hope this helps man,

Peace

Not for nothing, but you should also check out Nashville. A relative of mine moved out there and I have spent a few weeks there. The weather is MUCH better than south florida. Also, nashville is a bit more progressive as far as getting businesses, mass transit, sustainable living etc. Now, they do have pollution though, because they are in a valley. But other than that, I would really check it out. Only thing is, again the locals. I wont get to deep into that, its something you just have to expeience for yourself to understand.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:45 AM

91 posts, read 181,033 times
I am living in fl right now (waiting for DH to retire) and plan to move full time to our co-op in Brooklyn Heights.
I live in the panhandle of Florida and lived in Naples, FL for 8 years.
I'm not a beach person as I don't like the sand but most people who live in Florida love the beach - so take what I say with a grain of salt or sand .
I now live close to Fl/Ga border and the trees are wonderful. 100 yr old expansive live oaks cast quite a swath of shade so there is lots and lots of shade to sit under, park under etc. Most houses here quite shaded so it doesn't feel quite as hot (to me) as Naples did/does. Folks claim the breeze from gulf makes southwest fl cooler but its just hot humid air and no shade trees. Much longer season too. I dread March/April because you're in for some long hot months ahead. 4 months of the year Fla is unbearable. Thanks goodness for air conditioning. But do you want to live like that? from your air conditioned home ($$!!) to your air conditioned car to your air conditioned office. In the years ahead it's only going to get more expensive (and hotter!), not to mentioned the environmental 'footprint' you're leaving. Buy a timeshare on the beach somewhere for the ONE or TWO months of nice weather.
On the other hand, my daughters LOVE the heat, they love flip flops, skimpy clothes (not me so much) and the hot humid air.
When I visit out west, I shrivel up like a raisin in the dry heat and plumb right back up after arriving in the humid environment - so I prefer humid to dry.
JMO

Old 09-08-2008, 07:49 AM

6,671 posts, read 10,502,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roccos View Post
I am living in fl right now (waiting for DH to retire) and plan to move full time to our co-op in Brooklyn Heights.
I live in the panhandle of Florida and lived in Naples, FL for 8 years.
I'm not a beach person as I don't like the sand but most people who live in Florida love the beach - so take what I say with a grain of salt or sand .
I now live close to Fl/Ga border and the trees are wonderful. 100 yr old expansive live oaks cast quite a swath of shade so there is lots and lots of shade to sit under, park under etc. Most houses here quite shaded so it doesn't feel quite as hot (to me) as Naples did/does. Folks claim the breeze from gulf makes southwest fl cooler but its just hot humid air and no shade trees. Much longer season too. I dread March/April because you're in for some long hot months ahead. 4 months of the year Fla is unbearable. Thanks goodness for air conditioning. But do you want to live like that? from your air conditioned home ($$!!) to your air conditioned car to your air conditioned office. In the years ahead it's only going to get more expensive (and hotter!), not to mentioned the environmental 'footprint' you're leaving. Buy a timeshare on the beach somewhere for the ONE or TWO months of nice weather.
On the other hand, my daughters LOVE the heat, they love flip flops, skimpy clothes (not me so much) and the hot humid air.
When I visit out west, I shrivel up like a raisin in the dry heat and plumb right back up after arriving in the humid environment - so I prefer humid to dry.
JMO
adopt me?

Old 09-08-2008, 08:18 AM

3,225 posts, read 5,270,352 times
Default thanks all...

wild style, roccos, mattias, crisp, etc., for your input.

I guess I'll have to eventually be a nomad going back and forth between Florida and NYC. See, I hate both extremities - too hot/humid and winter. I find the cold months depressing, don't like slush, sleet, snow, but also feel extremely uncomfortable when it's too humid/hot. San Diego would be nice for me but for family, professional, social reasons I'd like to stay on the East Coast.

So I'll stay in NYC and hopefully when/if any of my writings makes me financially well off, I'll buy a condo in South Florida and use that as a winter getaway. Don't want time shares, want a place down there of my own to go to whenever I feel like it.

Tanks again all.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:19 AM

oh thanks also to rubies, rachel. otis for their feedback.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:27 AM

And how can I forget to also thank my fellow poster, welder, who has traveled many parts of the good old USA? Thanks welder for your input.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:21 AM

629 posts, read 175,992 times
Hey Miles, if u could swing it financially, go with either San Diego, or one of the LA's beach community's. Have u ever visited the west coast? Big difference between cali and fl. You can actually wear nice clothes when u go out in Cali. In Fl, most months of the yr, its a waste. Cause you'll be dripping wet. San Diego is rated america's best climate if u didnt know that. Plus Cali's cities blow Fl's away! The summer's in NYC are brutal. Seattle is also a great place to spent the summer. Alot of 60's and 70's there during the summer months. Plus most nights, down into the 50's. Look at the Seattle Times newspaper online. They have monthly rentals in neighborhoods like Queene Anne, Capital Hill (FRASIER), and Bell Town, between $1200 to $1500. Studios with free internet, etc. And those are good neighborhoods That city and surrounding areas are gorgeous. I feel like a "travel agent" pushing an agenda on u !LOL LOL LOL .......

Old 09-08-2008, 10:25 AM

629 posts, read 175,992 times
My bad, I didnt read your post about the west coast. Damn, all that wasted typing! LOL .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City