U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-23-2009, 11:04 PM

1,981 posts, read 1,740,330 times
well I think we can agree that they're both way too hot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-24-2009, 01:04 AM

4,324 posts, read 4,984,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
well I think we can agree that they're both way too hot!
LOL yeah that's for sure.

Unread 07-24-2009, 08:09 AM

7,313 posts, read 12,049,136 times
Personally I think it's worse here. Because of all the concrete and because the main mode of transportation for many of us (the subway) is not summer friendly. This summer has been pretty tame so far though.

Unread 07-24-2009, 06:55 PM

954 posts, read 1,205,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Some people are more sensitive to heat than others, I think that's why it feels the same to me. I've been in Central Florida and NYC when the heat index was at and above 120 degrees, I was outside all day and felt good to me. Florida's heat is more consistent than NYC's. Both have hot and humid Summers though.
You may be right about that, NYC does have its days here and there when it can compare to Florida's humidity. However, Florida can be humid from late April to mid October. We'll have 45 days straight in the mid to high 90's in the summertime. My cousins are in NY now from Florida and are enjoying being out and about without being drenched in sweat within 2 minutes. But NY ESPECIALLY Manhattan can have its days like that as well.

Unread 07-24-2009, 10:48 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,873,539 times
Florida is definately hotter and more humid overall, but there's another angle no one mentioned...air pollution. Its probably much worse in NYC, as haze and poor air quality plauge this area on many days in the summer. Florida is less congested, less traffic and pollution, so at least the air is cleaner.

Unread 07-25-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Florida is definately hotter and more humid overall, but there's another angle no one mentioned...air pollution. Its probably much worse in NYC, as haze and poor air quality plauge this area on many days in the summer. Florida is less congested, less traffic and pollution, so at least the air is cleaner.
Depends where in Florida you are, I think anywhere in America with a sprawling metro area will have its traffic, don't forget NY has different modes of transport as well. And we down here like to drain wetlands, lakes and cut forests in order to build low density neighborhoods which leads to more roads and highways for a smaller population which thus leads to more vehicle dependency and traffic. That formula is what lead to L.A. being notorious for having the worst air pollution among large U.S. Cities, i digress florida is far behind though. But if we had a city here with 8 million people we would surpass L.A. in smog and traffic. But we're learning our lesson down here, slowly but surely

Unread 08-18-2009, 07:00 AM

478 posts, read 485,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I agree with you, because whenever I visit FL, I'm always amazed how much easier it is for me to breathe! I have terrible allergies up here in NY, and they disappear in FL!! We're seriously thinking of moving down there now that we're retired!

Unread 08-18-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen and Jim View Post
I agree with you, because whenever I visit FL, I'm always amazed how much easier it is for me to breathe! I have terrible allergies up here in NY, and they disappear in FL!! We're seriously thinking of moving down there now that we're retired!
Wow, for most people its completely opposite, I for one always have a stuffy nose in FL because of all the allergens like pollen, and the summertime humidity for most of us makes it so hard to breathe cause the air is so thick and hot. I guess its what you're allergic to. I'd like to know what part of florida you're going to, cause most people I come in contact with, including myself, usually have an opposite experience.

Unread 08-18-2009, 05:49 PM

7,469 posts, read 8,380,301 times
My asthma goes away during the Summer in both NYC and Florida, I love how Florida feels in the Summer, that nice humid heat. NYC's Summer is okay but it cools off every 4-5 days then gets hot again about 3-5 days later.

Both have the same humidity level to me, they both have the heat with that thick air.

I want to live in Florida.

Unread 08-20-2009, 09:54 AM

594 posts, read 198,822 times
Florida is on average more humid and hotter than New York City.
Florida is always upper 80s and 90s from May to September or October, while New York City could for few days more hot & humid, and other days 70s and 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City