U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 06:09 PM

263 posts, read 546,432 times

Advertisements

What is Harlem like? I have a white friend that looking to rent in Harlem? Has or is Harlem seeing gentrification? I'm born and raised in Santa Monica, CA, so I guess I've only seen Harlem stereotyped in movies and what not. Is it a desirable place to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 06:11 PM

7,079 posts, read 32,432,069 times
There are so many areas in Harlem. Some have always been beautiful, like Sugar Hill. Some are gentrifying. Some are less desirable. What area are you thinking about?

Old 09-08-2008, 06:39 PM

943 posts, read 3,542,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideGirl310 View Post
What is Harlem like? I have a white friend that looking to rent in Harlem? Has or is Harlem seeing gentrification? I'm born and raised in Santa Monica, CA, so I guess I've only seen Harlem stereotyped in movies and what not. Is it a desirable place to live?
Was it necessary to describe your friend as white?

Old 09-09-2008, 04:06 PM

24 posts, read 78,853 times
I don't think she meant anything by it. It's no secret Harlem has been an overwhelmingly black neighborhood since early in the 20th century, and that there is some hostility towards gentrifiers. Of course "gentrifiers" are not just white, but black, latino, asian, etc. Nonetheless, the fact is most people on the street will assume, for better of for worse, that you are white, you are part of this influx of gentrifiers and haven't been living in neighborhood for 15 years. So, facts being facts, you'll stand out more and may be subject to some of this hostility.

Anyway - I too am looking at Harlem and have been spending a lot of time up there.
I actually have never experience any type of hostility - people have been overwhelmingly friendly. My thoughts are: it has good streets and bad streets, but Mt. Morris park districts (basically above Central Park to 125th street) and Sugar Hill/Hamilton Heights probably have more nice pockets and ammenities. Still, it's very much block by block. If you feel comfortable on the street you're living on, are aware of your surroundings, learn a good route to the subway everyday, it's fine.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:22 PM

1,278 posts, read 3,543,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
Was it necessary to describe your friend as white?

Would you have asked that question if she had said "I have a Chinese friend moving to Harlem" or " I have a black friend moving to Harlem"? Just curious.

To the OP: Harlem changes drastically sometimes from block to block, where are you looking to move?

Old 09-09-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudbeckia View Post
would you have asked that question if she had said "i have a chinese friend moving to harlem" or " i have a black friend moving to harlem"? Just curious.

To the op: Harlem changes drastically sometimes from block to block, where are you looking to move?
If chinese YES for the same reasons, if black YES, but just out of curiosity. Now someone walks up to me, one of my friends in Harlem or someone from my family and asks "I have a white friend that wants to move to Harlem, do you know if they gentrified the area yet?" I would be very offended. Doing it on the computer does not mitigate what is being said. I have answered questions for people about Harlem on this forum, but I didn't like the way it was worded and I asked the purpose for wording it like that. Sorry if you did not like that.

Last edited by ogplife; 09-09-2008 at 06:20 PM..

Old 09-09-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadingUptown View Post
I don't think she meant anything by it. It's no secret Harlem has been an overwhelmingly black neighborhood since early in the 20th century, and that there is some hostility towards gentrifiers. Of course "gentrifiers" are not just white, but black, latino, asian, etc. Nonetheless, the fact is most people on the street will assume, for better of for worse, that you are white, you are part of this influx of gentrifiers and haven't been living in neighborhood for 15 years. So, facts being facts, you'll stand out more and may be subject to some of this hostility.

Anyway - I too am looking at Harlem and have been spending a lot of time up there.
I actually have never experience any type of hostility - people have been overwhelmingly friendly. My thoughts are: it has good streets and bad streets, but Mt. Morris park districts (basically above Central Park to 125th street) and Sugar Hill/Hamilton Heights probably have more nice pockets and ammenities. Still, it's very much block by block. If you feel comfortable on the street you're living on, are aware of your surroundings, learn a good route to the subway everyday, it's fine.
I understand what you mean, but she did not say will I face hostility. She said have they gentrified yet which sort of implies something much different. Anyway I am not a disgruntled person and I don't want to turn her thread into some type of race war so I will fall back, but I did have to ask the OP the question.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:19 PM

467 posts, read 1,450,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
YES! Now someone walks up to me, one of my friends in Harlem or someone from my family and asks "I have a white friend that wants to move to Harlem, do you know if they gentrified the area yet?" I would be very offended. Doing it on the computer does not mitigate what is being said. I have answered questions for people about Harlem on this forum, but I didn't like the way it was worded and I asked the purpose for wording it like that. Sorry if you did not like that.

I hear ya. It seems a lot of posts are like this. "Is it safe for a white person?" I just don't get it really. It's not like black people are out to get whitey. I actually think black people probably face more issues moving into a predominately white 'hood.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax78 View Post
I hear ya. It seems a lot of posts are like this. "Is it safe for a white person?" I just don't get it really. It's not like black people are out to get whitey. I actually think black people probably face more issues moving into a predominately white 'hood.
Agreed.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:30 PM

24 posts, read 78,853 times
I have no doubt that it's worse for black people moving to predominately white neighborhoods. In fact, my white friends who've moved to Harlem have told me they have a bit better understanding of what it must be like to be the minority. Few have faced hostility, but it's that feeling of not belonging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City