Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 08:19 PM

50 posts, read 132,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi24 View Post
Oh ho! The truth finally comes out!
But did I mention that I did not like it because I felt so horribly poor the whole time? I don't buy a lot of junk, but still I would get all excited about taking my bottles in for the 5 cent deposit.

Central park is nice, but so is Prospect Park and Inwood Park and the greenways in the north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi24 View Post
Yes, you're right. I stand corrected. Many people in Manhattan DO make over 100K/year.

Fortunately for us though we make that much right out of school and only work 3 days a week. Who else can say that?
That's great-- free time is the BEST. Much better than being worked to death. If you have time then you should be able to figure out the public school system-- it's mostly rich people with no time to sort it out who end up in the expensive private schools.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:26 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
One other thing to remember is that there is the UWS and the real estate definition of the UWS, some of which are described as Upper UWS or just UWS that are actually in transitional neighborhoods. That's why one has to watch the school districts in these areas, since the neighborhood demographics shift wildly within a couple of blocks.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:27 PM

348 posts, read 1,248,350 times
Fortunately for us though we made that much right out of school and only work 3 days a week. Who else can say that?

Well...ACTUALLY...if you are saying that each of you is making a little over 50K right out of school and are making that for 3 days worth of work...then to answer your question....almost any top MBA student's earning potential (per hour) could easily match (or top) that. Although, they likely wouldn't have the choice of only working the three days. They will HAVE to work a full work week (and lots of overtime) and collect their 100k-150k salary.

Anyway, good luck.

And, for the record - I LOVED the UWS when I lived there!!!

Old 09-08-2008, 08:29 PM

69 posts, read 210,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
In a good school district, $3k a month will be small, somewhere around 900-1000 square feet of space, and it can be difficult to find 2BRs in that range in good districts. And, the rule of thumb is 40x income to determine affordability that most landlords and management companies use. NYC also has taxes that are levied on income, and food/necessities are generally more expensive in the city than other areas of the country.

Assuming $100k with 2 exemptions, the net pay would be in the region of $69k. So, you'd be spending $36k in rent and then be left with $33k for a family of four, which would be very tight in Manhattan.

Many people in Manhattan do make over $100k, and it really can be very tight, since you need a good school district.
Thank you for doing the math...not my best subject. So yes, approx. 3K left over every month=$750/week and that is stretching it?

Seriously, I'm not trying to be obnoxious. I think I speak for most of the other small town simple folk when I say that I/we have a hard time understanding this.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
One other thing to remember is that there is the UWS and the real estate definition of the UWS, some of which are described as Upper UWS or just UWS that are actually in transitional neighborhoods. That's why one has to watch the school districts in these areas, since the neighborhood demographics shift wildly within a couple of blocks.
Hmmm...good to know.

In your opinion, do you think the agents/brokers in NYC really give a hoot about helping people find what they want and need or are they just trying to make a sale?

Old 09-08-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCwoman View Post
Fortunately for us though we made that much right out of school and only work 3 days a week. Who else can say that?

Well...ACTUALLY...if you are saying that each of you is making a little over 50K right out of school and are making that for 3 days worth of work...then to answer your question....almost any top MBA student's earning potential (per hour) could easily match (or top) that. Although, they likely wouldn't have the choice of only working the three days. They will HAVE to work a full work week (and lots of overtime) and collect their 100k-150k salary.

Anyway, good luck.

And, for the record - I LOVED the UWS when I lived there!!!
Wow, that's crazy. You mean we're earning the equivalent of someone with an MBA who has to work over 40 hours/week? It boggles the mind.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:37 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
I understand that you're not trying to be obnoxious, since it's quite a shock as to what it actually costs for Manhattan, and the UWS has some very prime neighborhoods that can be expensive to live in, not just for rent. Groceries are more expensive, a good premium over other areas. Where you might spend $200 a week in a smaller town, you're easily going to be spending $300 for the same groceries, and other services are also higher. You can cut transportation costs with subway and bus travel, but that might not offset the higher daily costs you are likely to encounter. I know it sounds crazy to say that a six figure income is going to be tight, but that's New York, since housing is way above average in cost and other real estate is also expensive, hence higher prices.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:41 PM

Well, you might be fine if you never eat out and never go anyplace or do anything... ever ... but then what's the point of being in the city? The friends you'll make will all be doing things-- fun things, I just did a 55mile bike ride all over the city this weekend. Before that it was off-off-Broadway theater and of course dinner, before that it was roller skating, and kayaking.

And you spend money doing things.

Moving out of Manhattan isn't death-- it's getting some freedom. Or if you must stay go to Inwood. The whole point of living on the UWS is that you can go to all kinds of restaurants and things very easily. If you're not doing that you feel like chump-- it's like going to Disney world and not getting on any of the rides.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
I understand that you're not trying to be obnoxious, since it's quite a shock as to what it actually costs for Manhattan, and the UWS has some very prime neighborhoods that can be expensive to live in, not just for rent. Groceries are more expensive, a good premium over other areas. Where you might spend $200 a week in a smaller town, you're easily going to be spending $300 for the same groceries, and other services are also higher. You can cut transportation costs with subway and bus travel, but that might not offset the higher daily costs you are likely to encounter. I know it sounds crazy to say that a six figure income is going to be tight, but that's New York, since housing is way above average in cost and other real estate is also expensive, hence higher prices.
Well...hmpf.

So...is it really worth it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City