Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 06:54 PM

389 posts, read 774,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSANMAN View Post
hay guys lets keep this one going,any word on hiring yet.im at 13hundred and sixty.i want the job,this freeze is a real pain in the ???.lets hope people retire in droves so we can get some new blood in there.if anyone has info please reply
People have retired....they are just not being replaced..........yet

Old 11-09-2009, 08:14 AM

95 posts, read 210,865 times
Yes, even in my garage I seen quite a few guys retire in the last couple of months.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:08 PM

372 posts, read 829,971 times
HEY GT i know its not gonna happen I was just speaking out loud in hopes that one day we can smarten up lol just made cuz im a not signee i heard no 12-8 truck and there not even gonna put the man power 12-8 either......how the hell can they discipline you if you dont finish what happens if I take my breaks and my lunch and do one side at a time?

Old 11-09-2009, 12:31 PM

121 posts, read 249,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcals View Post
HEY GT i know its not gonna happen I was just speaking out loud in hopes that one day we can smarten up lol just made cuz im a not signee i heard no 12-8 truck and there not even gonna put the man power 12-8 either......how the hell can they discipline you if you dont finish what happens if I take my breaks and my lunch and do one side at a time?
I feel the same way Kingcals,but fact is on a normal day you are obligated to finish an established route. If you dont finish, and you dont have a reasonable excuse, and/or a fully loaded truck, you and your partner are getting complaints. In our last contract, we gave up the loophole that existed allowing us some leeway to leaving out work. And think about it,the city has always been looking for ways to save money by going with private sanitation. We give any appearance,on a broad scale, that we are performing a "job action" and we may just push the prospect of privates into the open and on the table. I dont think now is a good time for doing anything to jeopardize our jobs.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:52 PM

360 posts, read 735,870 times
Was going to ask with this reduce headcount .. What has not bein able to be done on a normal day of being a sanatation worker ..? Or is everything getting done on a normal day.. I guess I'm asking .. As badly I do want this job is it really possible to go another full year of no hiring and about a atration rate of 25 a month..?

Old 11-09-2009, 03:38 PM

233 posts, read 535,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deac39 View Post
Was going to ask with this reduce headcount .. What has not bein able to be done on a normal day of being a sanatation worker ..? Or is everything getting done on a normal day.. I guess I'm asking .. As badly I do want this job is it really possible to go another full year of no hiring and about a attrition rate of 25 a month..?

why hire new people if you can get everything is getting done every day with less? as much as it sucks, it makes sense. my garage only lost a "1/2 truck" 1 day a week, and another day they combined two "1/2 trucks" into 1 "full truck" (it goes 1/4 from 1 section, 1/2 from the 2nd section, and 1/4 from the 3rd section) no loss of truck, but 2 less people needed for the shift. and 3 people have retired. everything is complete, and most dumped, so why would the city hire replacements

Old 11-11-2009, 02:21 AM

176 posts, read 374,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikk View Post
starting monday, the majority of Manhattan garages have a new primary dump. the Waste Management - Julia St place is no more. its about 10 mins out of the holland tunnel. seems like a win-win for the city... less $$ per ton and half the distance round-trip. why did that take so long??!! supervisors will push the relay shifts to pump out an extra relay. even worse, since its closer more dumps on shift.
Can't be for the garages that use the G.W. Took me almost 3 hrs. to get to IWS & back. Coming from the turnpike, you deal with the drawbridge & all the traffic going towards the Holland.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:35 AM

15 posts, read 31,773 times
hey did anyone read todays daily news harry is talking about how the other unions are getting ready to neg. contracts talks and it does not sound good .

Old 11-11-2009, 08:41 AM

15 posts, read 31,773 times
I heard that in the spring when 32b-j contract expires they might strike true or not we just have to wait and see but if that happens and then the other unions jump on the band wagon boy we are in for a tough ride

Old 11-11-2009, 09:17 AM

360 posts, read 735,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J russ View Post
hey did anyone read todays daily news harry is talking about how the other unions are getting ready to neg. contracts talks and it does not sound good .
article was saying the budget def. cant be payed back .. and albanys putting it on Paterson... blaming him for worrying about diffrent things like gay marriage and 2nd account murder regulations instead of regulation of getting the citys pension and deficate in order and Paterson is stating that they may not even be able to pay whatever is due back in December . And not that it was mentioned but this is a old tale we have heard all year round was Tier 5... and Like you said J contracts up for neg and Mike bloombergs the mayor so it will be intresting to say..Im at the point now pass tier 5 ill work another additonal 5 years to retire and ill be happy. Guys have to face facts its bein the good life past 10-20 years but everything comes and gos. And as long as health ben are there payed in full and only con is working 5 more years to retire(And yes i know wont help my pension much and i dont care) Something needs to be done...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City