Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2009, 05:44 PM

5 posts, read 9,779 times

Advertisements

To my knowedge that the fed govt (irs) is complaining about employees retiring in early retirement are to early and young to retire . the feds are forcing the state to push for teir 5 . if they dont the feds wont give money to the state . the state in the other hand is forcing the city to do the same . cops & firemen are under teir 2 . 20 years and pay 3% , after 10 yrs pay nothing for the rest of active time . under teir 4 majority of the city civil service workforce is 30yrs & age 62 unless its been modified to retire early with additional payment . what i heard from my shopsteward from my district is that if you retire early before 62 , when you reach social security age , you start collecting , the amount of money you get from ss will be deducted off your pension under teir 5 . The shopsteward heard it from the last union meeting .

Last edited by garbo97; 12-03-2009 at 05:52 PM..

Old 12-03-2009, 08:11 PM

372 posts, read 829,971 times
well i mean if tier 5 is inevitable which i think it is.. why should try to push for something big in our favor if it is possible...I also believe something with the health benefits is different in the tier 5...

Old 12-04-2009, 06:45 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,059,811 times
Default Senate Pension Chair: No Reason to Pass Tier 5

I know this is an old article(Feb 6/2009)but this state senator makes sense.

http://www.thechief-leader.com/news/.../news/006.html (http://www.thechief-leader.com/news/2009-02-06/news/006.html - broken link)

Old 12-04-2009, 06:55 AM

i hope not kingcals , once you start losing health benifits , you wont get them back . Harry nespoli is a smart man , great negoiator , he has a game plan in mind . HE has done alot for 831 and got alot of benifits back to us but took a long hard time for it . Our problem coming up is national health care , thats going to hurt our health benifit to all of us , not only teir 5 . (active & retirement ) Its going to bankrupt all health poviders and then some !

Old 12-04-2009, 07:19 AM

Excellent article vantastic10 ! Its sounds like were going backwards in time losing what every civil servant fought for . The peasant pleasing the king , Death & Taxes !

Old 12-04-2009, 11:08 AM

192 posts, read 401,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yearman View Post
I'm assuming that if we don't have a choice (and I don't think we will) then the union cant negotiate anything. Its take it and that's that. But if for some reason it is negotiable then I think the union would opt for keeping our health benefits the same, no lay offs and hopefully get something as well like a nice raise.

Pension legislation gets negotiated just like everything else. Is it going to happen? Yes. Will it happen exactly as in a proposed bill? Probably not. 831 and the other uniformed unions have become more and more political out of necessity. We can influence Albany. The argument that a variable supplement is rightfully ours can be made. Maybe even carrying special weight in the face of weakened retirement benefits.

As far as health benefits go... I would not want to see a sanman pay one more red cent on anything, especially his "free" GHI/HIP option. I think we must wait and see what happens on a national level regarding this issue. The proposed health care bill by the feds indicates a "tax" on employer paid benefits. On us or the city. We have to see how that plays out.

If we continue forward with a 2 man truck program. We are going to need some kind of guaranteed raise structure. There is a breaking point, in terms of our citywide ton average. How much more can a man be expected to do every day for roughly 40 weeks of the year and survive? I mean really...4,000 days behind the truck, not counting our other responsibilities.

You can run a mile in 3 minutes. Does that mean you can run 10 miles in 30 minutes?

Old 12-04-2009, 02:53 PM

121 posts, read 249,833 times
I wonder if the union could put together something that shows how increasing the workload will seriously hurt most san workers. Like an independant study performed by experts;medical,sports related injuries and so on. Thing Ive been noticing is how more and more bosses have little or no experience behind the truck. More power to you for studying and passing tests. Someone needs to be the brains of the operation. But I think it spells out disaster for the long run. Have you ever noticed how some of these newish foremen and supers jump thru hoops and kiss up to anyone with a star on their uniform? Its disgusting. And dont even mention the society meetings,some of which Ive been the reluctant attendee of in years past. They are run by bosses who make sure their people get into soft and cushie spots. And those same bosses make sure their people are provided with answers to promotional exams. I guess my point is we have had some bosses that understood what san workers do from personal experience and wouldnt condone crippling any members with unreasonable demands. But I think before long there will be absolutely no one up top that will be sympathetic towards us. Ive said it before,we need to be our own public relations reps on the streets. Work toward getting the people we serve on our side. After all,they vote and pay taxes like we do.
Most homeowners dont know their local cop or fireman or ems driver. And many dont know their sanworker either,but they see results when their garbage pails are emptied. Maybe we should start taking out full page ads in newspapers and 30 second commercials on TV showing what we do day in,day out. Get it into the back of peoples heads the services we provide for the city. So when some politician comes along and attempts to strip away benefits that have been earned thru hard work,the people will protest. Its just an idea, anyone have any better ideas? Id love to hear them.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:23 PM

192 posts, read 401,206 times
In reply to your question about something being done to account for our wear and tear... Harry did. He asked everyone to fill out a questionnaire. This was going to be the foundation for a medical investigation into what happens to our bodies from the job. Guess what? We needed like half of our men to reply and mail it in. We got something like 1,500. Can you believe that? From what I understand Harry was very, very upset and disappointed with that one..... He really wanted to get us our due credit.

You can lead them to water.....

Old 12-05-2009, 08:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,953 times
please heap me with direction on how to register with NY city sanitation department so it will help me to prepare for examination next year 2010. my name is David Inyangedo
with my Email address; davidedo4eva@yahoo.com

Thank you for your understanding, and have a good day.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:26 AM

121 posts, read 249,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FULLTRUCK View Post
In reply to your question about something being done to account for our wear and tear... Harry did. He asked everyone to fill out a questionnaire. This was going to be the foundation for a medical investigation into what happens to our bodies from the job. Guess what? We needed like half of our men to reply and mail it in. We got something like 1,500. Can you believe that? From what I understand Harry was very, very upset and disappointed with that one..... He really wanted to get us our due credit.

You can lead them to water.....
Yeah I know,we can really do alot of good things if we only acted as a group,unified in action. Union and shop stewards can only do so much. Guys have to wake up and start using their heads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City