U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-03-2010, 06:35 AM

372 posts, read 546,734 times
Cdl permit ----tanker, air brakes and general knowledge...

Old 01-03-2010, 02:47 PM

9 posts, read 13,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
I dont remember taking a breathalizer during the physical but if you did fail it then forget about getting the job.

DSNYSANMAN, he may be referring to the medical. I remember at the clinic you had to take a breathalizer and a urine test. I dont remember taking one at the physical test either, and I just took mine in october 08. But yea you pretty much said it, if he failed either, he can kiss his oppertunity good bye. He probably can try to file for an appeal, but thats a long shot.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:13 PM

334 posts, read 489,191 times
Quote:
Glad to hear that talk of layoffs have gone away. Hope there is a class and hope you are in it.
the rumors of layoffs have been replaced with rumors of a class so i guess thats a good thing. dont ask when cause i dont know myself and neither does anyone in sanitation. But everyone seems to feel that we can't continue much longer like this.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:51 PM

33 posts, read 33,585 times
ive worked at alot of garages in manhattan,and there usually even if not they can use more ppl for cleaning(mlp,handbroom) in staten island there over ppl but they goto the dirty neighborhoods to help them clean,so i mean laying off ppl doesnt seem like the best idea and i dont see how they would need more off the new list,but from what i hear 89-90 was a big hiring yr so ppl will leave when they hit 20(especially how they hate how the job is changing) and around 20-25 ppl leave per month (retire,fired,3/4) so hopefully they will hire cause i need some more seniority! lol

Old 01-04-2010, 09:57 AM

146 posts, read 149,423 times
kingcals thanks for the help i appreciate that info alot and yea i hpe they start calling for some classes i want the chance to work for sanitation this thread has helped alot with information for myself and im sure for others so thanks everyone on the job for helping and giving good information to us who are awaiting the call

Old 01-04-2010, 05:49 PM

876 posts, read 1,221,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon7280 View Post
the rumors of layoffs have been replaced with rumors of a class so i guess thats a good thing. dont ask when cause i dont know myself and neither does anyone in sanitation. But everyone seems to feel that we can't continue much longer like this.
I wouldnt be surprised if they hired in the summer of 2010. It would be 2 years since they last hired in aug 2008 and makes sense since they will be getting ready for night plow a couple of months after that. This year so far has been very cold and snow should follow. This will get them nervous about next year and hiring a class or two should be a reality.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:41 PM

334 posts, read 489,191 times
Quote:
I wouldnt be surprised if they hired in the summer of 2010. It would be 2 years since they last hired in aug 2008 and makes sense since they will be getting ready for night plow a couple of months after that. This year so far has been very cold and snow should follow. This will get them nervous about next year and hiring a class or two should be a reality.

The Unions backed up the mayor for his third term so he has to make pretty and show his support by allowing another class. Even my mom who is a school teacher is telling me she thinking there will be a class because they are lifting the hiring for the board of ed in the summer so she said maybe the city has money to hire now. And talk about the list getting extend is going around too. Right now alot of positive talk is going on. And its about there being another class this year and this list getting extended. Lets hope this talk goes into action.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:12 PM

876 posts, read 1,221,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon7280 View Post
The Unions backed up the mayor for his third term so he has to make pretty and show his support by allowing another class. Even my mom who is a school teacher is telling me she thinking there will be a class because they are lifting the hiring for the board of ed in the summer so she said maybe the city has money to hire now. And talk about the list getting extend is going around too. Right now alot of positive talk is going on. And its about there being another class this year and this list getting extended. Lets hope this talk goes into action.
The city dont have any money, hiring more teachers is political as is hiring more police. Also I believe they wont hire another class without tier v given to them. Is there any talk about extending the foremen list too?

Old 01-04-2010, 08:44 PM

354 posts, read 433,680 times
Wasent teir 5 passed .. And pretty much ready to be implented anytime bloomberg wants ..? And city will be making money this year... And if everyone keeps saying there will be no wide spread hiring for anyone (except cops *hiss*) then when..? 2 years 4 years ..? Hiring has to eventually occur and 89,90 big hiring years... And extention of list from fdny and dsny and I'm sure others .. Is being talked upon... So noone knows to be honest ...

Old 01-04-2010, 09:19 PM

149 posts, read 239,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deac39 View Post
Wasent teir 5 passed .. And pretty much ready to be implented anytime bloomberg wants ..? And city will be making money this year... And if everyone keeps saying there will be no wide spread hiring for anyone (except cops *hiss*) then when..? 2 years 4 years ..? Hiring has to eventually occur and 89,90 big hiring years... And extention of list from fdny and dsny and I'm sure others .. Is being talked upon... So noone knows to be honest ...
Tier 5 can't just be implemented, city unions would have to agree to it, and it still hasn't been negotiated with most (if not all?) city unions

to be honest, if I was on this list, I'd be rooting for an official list extension more than anything...the city is still facing a $4.1 billion (approx.) budget deficit for the next fiscal year...and because of Epyon's posts, I spoke to my family friend who's a shop steward once again...asked him about the possibility of new classes this year (what junior guy isn't dying for some more seniority at this point?), and he repeated to me what he's been saying for at least a year: "until there's some version of Tier 5, the city will not hire another san worker"...Bloomberg presents his preliminary FY 2011 budget near the end of this month, keep an eye on that...listen to what he says about any type of pension reform (Tier 5) and also Albany's plans, if they will hurt the city

all the layoff rumors, Nespoli's comments about the newest guys at least being off probation at that point, etc., centered around this spring after night plow, so if we can get past that, I think we'll be ok, and everyone can hopefully look forward to the possibility of new classes

Mayor: Albany set to make city suffer - NYPOST.com

Last edited by illmatic; 01-04-2010 at 09:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City