Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2010, 01:26 PM

372 posts, read 828,485 times

Advertisements

layoffs lol..... if they cut every function in DSNY except for collection there will be layoffs...but now if you cut trucks to once a week or bi weekly the weight is giong to be out there anyways and you will just have to run twice the amount of trucks ( am i wrong ) ???? first off if they cut cleaning during the summer like totally this city will be so dirty it wont even be funny.....

Old 01-28-2010, 01:34 PM

200 posts, read 575,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSICandidate View Post
I'd love to see them stop picking up Litter Basket collection in the Manhattan 10 and Manhattan 3 districts. The streets will look like scenes out of Mad Max and will be infested with vermin, roaches and maggots. This could be good, because if the city gets really bad and really dirty, then maybe when the budget gets better they will hire lots and lots of guys for cleaning and mlp. No collection but atleast you will be on the job and on the road to a great life with a pension and benefits.

I realize that they will just make the collection guys service those baskets, however what do they do with the surplus men who are normally on baskets and mlp because that's what their seniority dictates they do?

Who are we kidding? We are doing more with less and yes the routes that have litter baskets on them will be serviced by the crews doing those routes. All you runners and dumpers will take the cuts in stride and do the extra work without so much as a whimper just to get done early. I came back to my district (Q8) the other day for lunch and I saw the whole Q10 truck lot filled with empty trucks at 10:30 am. That leaves a lot more time to do more work with less and its all documented on their dump tickets. All this talk about cuts and layoffs in the spring hasn't fazed anyone. Its so sad that some of the ones running are gonna be the ones laid off. As for the surplus, there wont be any when the layoffs do come in the spring. So all I have to say is keep running and dumping so I can start making charts when they layoff and build up my pension.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:11 PM

876 posts, read 2,136,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yearman View Post
Who are we kidding? We are doing more with less and yes the routes that have litter baskets on them will be serviced by the crews doing those routes. All you runners and dumpers will take the cuts in stride and do the extra work without so much as a whimper just to get done early. I came back to my district (Q8) the other day for lunch and I saw the whole Q10 truck lot filled with empty trucks at 10:30 am. That leaves a lot more time to do more work with less and its all documented on their dump tickets. All this talk about cuts and layoffs in the spring hasn't fazed anyone. Its so sad that some of the ones running are gonna be the ones laid off. As for the surplus, there wont be any when the layoffs do come in the spring. So all I have to say is keep running and dumping so I can start making charts when they layoff and build up my pension.
You are wrong it isnt sad that the people who are running and dumping get layoff. It is sad when the people who are doing the right thing gets layoff.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:25 PM

200 posts, read 575,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
You are wrong it isnt sad that the people who are running and dumping get layoff. It is sad when the people who are doing the right thing gets layoff.
Yes, your right. I have a garage full of junior men and women who have been fighting the fight since they came on and are going to suffer for the selfishness of the greedy live for the moment low life's on this job. I feel real bad about that.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:25 PM

57 posts, read 157,818 times
I've asked this question before, but I never really got an answer that made sense to me.

For as long as I've read this board, I've seen the argument between running vs not running & explanations of why it's wrong to run & dump. Ok, fine, I get that, but.....

What I DON'T understand is how you expect a guy who just got out of a class, going into a new garage, to buck the system. If the garage is a running garage when he gets there, do you really expect a brand new sanitation worker to stand up & say "screw it, I'm staying out"?

I keep seeing people blame junior guys for running & dumping. In reality isn't it the fault of the much senior guys already in there that set the precedent?

So again, I'll ask.....What options does a new guy have when he lands in a garage that runs & dumps? Is there anyone who REALLY refuses to do it, cause honestly, I don't believe it.

I think when you start a new job (any job) you try to fit in & go along with what the rest are doing. I don't think it's fair to berate people for running & dumping if the garage was that way long before they got there.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbysgirl23 View Post
I've asked this question before, but I never really got an answer that made sense to me.

For as long as I've read this board, I've seen the argument between running vs not running & explanations of why it's wrong to run & dump. Ok, fine, I get that, but.....

What I DON'T understand is how you expect a guy who just got out of a class, going into a new garage, to buck the system. If the garage is a running garage when he gets there, do you really expect a brand new sanitation worker to stand up & say "screw it, I'm staying out"?

I keep seeing people blame junior guys for running & dumping. In reality isn't it the fault of the much senior guys already in there that set the precedent?

So again, I'll ask.....What options does a new guy have when he lands in a garage that runs & dumps? Is there anyone who REALLY refuses to do it, cause honestly, I don't believe it.

I think when you start a new job (any job) you try to fit in & go along with what the rest are doing. I don't think it's fair to berate people for running & dumping if the garage was that way long before they got there.
You are right but the problem comes when two junior guys work together and can easily stay out. When a junior guy works with a senior guy I understand not wanting to get into a fight and doing what the senior guy wants but there is no excuse when two junior guys work together.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:52 PM

233 posts, read 533,987 times
what does it mean when someone says a route is "established"?

Old 01-28-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikk View Post
what does it mean when someone says a route is "established"?
It means that it was shown to be able to be completed. A new route takes a month or so to get established. If they cut a truck in a section and add 2 lines to all the other routes in that same section. Those new routes are not established which means if you dont complete these new routes you cant get a productivity complaint. But once those routes cleaned for a period of time then you must continue to clean otherwise you will get a productivity complaint.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:08 PM

389 posts, read 773,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcals View Post
layoffs lol..... if they cut every function in DSNY except for collection there will be layoffs...but now if you cut trucks to once a week or bi weekly the weight is giong to be out there anyways and you will just have to run twice the amount of trucks ( am i wrong ) ???? first off if they cut cleaning during the summer like totally this city will be so dirty it wont even be funny.....

Cut collection to once a week and see how bombed out those baskets get after a week.....that's about as long as that would last in my district(if it even lasts that long). It'll look like snow backlog in no time.
Leave the baskets undone in front of the councilman's office, let him call and generate an action center, alas there is no MLP crew to address the situation. Forget snow-coned baskets, you wouldn't even be able to find the basket.
And when you do a basket, broom and shovel for every high-end.
All 'eyes' are on the blind man now and his budget.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:18 PM

335 posts, read 746,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
Of course, guys in my district are leaving like crazy. This time last year we were over head count and now we are under. I would like to know what epson knows, havent seen him post in a while.
epyon lol.

Dont worry i am always reading thou i dont post. I know we are pretty low on the headcount as you said. Dont know for sure what the numbers are since we haven't done headcount recently but i seen tons of guys leaving this winter. Honestly there are a couple of interesting things I read there. First here are the slide presentations the mayor showed

Summary : http://www.nyc.gov/html/omb/downloads/pdf/sum1_10.pdf

Staffing levels : http://www.nyc.gov/html/omb/download...tafflevels.pdf

First of all the threat of him cutting little basket collection and cutting other things is a joke. No way the city will allow him to do it. Its more of a buff I believe.

Anyways in page 18 in the summary for the rest of FY 2010 levels are where they want it when it comes to us.. but in 2011 they want us to cut uniformed by 248.

In the staffing levels it states our uniform in noverber of 2009 was 7,461. For 6/30/2010 They expect it to be 7,379. And in 6/30/2011 they want it to be 7,216. Now from Nov 09 to 6/2010 thats a difference of 82 guys. As I said tons of guys have left and i wouldn't be suprised if we are close to 82 if not at it. So i wonder if we are under by at least 100 before 6/2010 comes along if they would try to sneak in a class or two. The difference between Nov 09 and 6/2011 is 245. What if we lose or close to losing that many by late this summer or fall? If you think about it 245 isn't really that much. Different between 6/2010 and 6/2011 is 163.

So I think it depends on how you want to look at it perhaps. honestly to me it looks like the city knows they can't ask for many more cuts from sanitation. cuts for 82 guys in 8 months and 245 in 20 months ? Looks like they are trying to walk on a thin line and see if it works. for the last snow storm we had they had to call San Cops and put them back on the trucks to plow snow.. ask the numbers continue to fall what are they gonna do? ask them to pick up garbage too? Have Supervisors pick up too? Eventually they will have to hire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City