Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2010, 10:43 PM

192 posts, read 400,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikk View Post
do you get paid of you dump twice on shift? a recycling dump is next door to the garage and my truck could not pack. if you went inside the body of the truck, you could probably push the blade home... thats how bad the truck was. the route was no heavier than it normally is, but before i knew it, it was loaded. the supervisor was saying that i had to dump the 2nd load because it was before the cutoff time, and i did finish the route. he was going on and on about if i dont dump again, he had to give me a complaint, if you dont dump i would still need to be loading at something like 1:20. i was tired of listening so i dumped again. im definitely not taking that truck again.
Yes. You can and you should. Most districts that usually dump twice have a pre-set pattern. There was initially a beef about the weight at these districts in order to receive a double dump... You might get some resistance giving that your weight is normal and it normally is done on one truck.

Ask your delegate (and act like you really want that dump money when you ask) NOT YOUR STEWARD.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:32 AM

121 posts, read 249,527 times
Double dumping with a rear loader or a split-body? That's an established route?! Or was it catching up with fridays recycling?

Old 01-12-2010, 06:54 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,047,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcals View Post
i guess they forget to say we contribute the most out of all the city agencies to our own pension...our money that they deduct goes rite into the nycers pension fund which then goes into investments stocks etc........ and the city borrows from our interest all the time...all i know is i work work work and every week im lucky if i bring home half of what i made.....oo and tell the post my take home money for 2009 after taxes was less then half of my gross tell them to write a story about that...

We all know what kind of a newspaper the Post is. They even use the word "Jackpot" like if these people won the lottery. Some of these high earners put in over 35 yrs of service. They paid their dues.

Maybe you have to adjust your withholdings but I bet you are maxing out on your defined benefit plans. The paycheck gets hammered. On the 1st DSNY 6063 thread somebody scanned a pay stub and the net pay was about half of the gross pay.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:44 PM

233 posts, read 534,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTDriver View Post
Double dumping with a rear loader or a split-body? That's an established route?! Or was it catching up with fridays recycling?

double dump with regular rear loader. any other day it is a 1 load day. this was just an unusual occurrence. there was no backlog or catching up on any work. truck was borrowed from another district so i had no idea of its problem. im sure that truck is given away and any possible opportunity!!!

Old 01-12-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikk View Post
double dump with regular rear loader. any other day it is a 1 load day. this was just an unusual occurrence. there was no backlog or catching up on any work. truck was borrowed from another district so i had no idea of its problem. im sure that truck is given away and any possible opportunity!!!
If I may suggest,next time something like that happens you might want to take notice of a possible hoist oil leak on the hand-me down truck. Either you will need to transport it back to the garage yourself,nice and safely mind you. Or you will have to await the GU or whoever the garage supervisor grabs to send out a replacement truck. Of course this would need to occur while you are out on the route. And you are entitled to a ten minute rest break after taking the replacement truck into your possession. At least this was in the contract last time I looked. Once burned,you'll not likely fall into a similar hole again. Sounds to me the supervisor went above and beyond ordering you to dump the second load or piece. "Ok boss,I'll do my best to get this piece dumped,but I think I see hoist oil leaking out the back of this out of town split-body. Maybe I should take it back to the garage before the line bursts and causes a bigger problem" "No, head straight to the dump? Ok,just write that down as so ordered and sign your name and put your badge number on my 350,acknowledging that I recommend downing the truck because I think I see hoist oil leaking" Chances are good that the out of town crappy truck has issues with it that will justify downing it. Maybe I'm over-reacting but I hate seeing a supervisor take advantage after you did the REAL WORK and loaded the truck. What did he do? Drive around,drink coffee,write a couple summonses,maybe stroke the payroll book.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:01 AM

200 posts, read 575,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTDriver View Post
If I may suggest,next time something like that happens you might want to take notice of a possible hoist oil leak on the hand-me down truck. Either you will need to transport it back to the garage yourself,nice and safely mind you. Or you will have to await the GU or whoever the garage supervisor grabs to send out a replacement truck. Of course this would need to occur while you are out on the route. And you are entitled to a ten minute rest break after taking the replacement truck into your possession. At least this was in the contract last time I looked. Once burned,you'll not likely fall into a similar hole again. Sounds to me the supervisor went above and beyond ordering you to dump the second load or piece. "Ok boss,I'll do my best to get this piece dumped,but I think I see hoist oil leaking out the back of this out of town split-body. Maybe I should take it back to the garage before the line bursts and causes a bigger problem" "No, head straight to the dump? Ok,just write that down as so ordered and sign your name and put your badge number on my 350,acknowledging that I recommend downing the truck because I think I see hoist oil leaking" Chances are good that the out of town crappy truck has issues with it that will justify downing it. Maybe I'm over-reacting but I hate seeing a supervisor take advantage after you did the REAL WORK and loaded the truck. What did he do? Drive around,drink coffee,write a couple summonses,maybe stroke the payroll book.
Your right about downing the truck and getting the Supervisor to sign your 350 if he insists you keep using it but I just want to clarify a few things because when it comes down to it if you start something you need to cover yourself correctly. First off you are not entitled to a 10 minute break upon receiving the replacement truck. You get the replacement and do a pre trip on it in the field and you go back to work and take your regularly scheduled breaks. You don't say you think you see a hoist oil leak, you say you see a hoist oil leak (big difference) and it can become a safety hazard in many ways. If you feel you are being ordered to take a down truck and the supervisor is willing to sign the 350 (which usually they don't, its like holding a crucifix in front of a vampire ) you can say I want to call my union rep because you feel you are being put in an unsafe working condition. You can go a little further if you want and remind the Supervisor of The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) which oversees enforcement of workplace safety regulations for the federal government. I doubt you will have to go that far or in fact any further than the request to sign to 350. Also remember you could be opening the door to a complaint to the GU who brought out a down truck to you. So you have to figure out how to approach it. The GU has to say It wasn't leaking when he left the garage. Just use your head and cover yourself. You can always call your Union if you are unsure of what to do, that's what they are there for.

Last edited by 20yearman; 01-13-2010 at 06:15 AM..

Old 01-13-2010, 06:51 AM

Really?No more ten minute break after receiving a replacement truck? I seem to remember that from somewhere but guess it was bargained away along with not cleaning routes when the men got upset about something. Progress? I'm not so sure. As for the GU catching heat,most of them should be more concerned about straightening out their "bedhead" and wiping the drool off their shirts. Of course I'd suggest they swear the truck was A number 1 when they left the garage.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:17 AM

I don't recall there ever being a 10 min break when receiving a replacement truck.
Maybe your thinking of a 10 minute break when taking a relay on overtime.
Funny about the bedhead and drool though.
I was a GU for 8yrs so I had my share of drool and bedhead.

Last edited by 20yearman; 01-13-2010 at 07:29 AM..

Old 01-13-2010, 09:10 AM

Did that 12-8 for about a year,hated pming trucks. Half the time I ended up waking up the garage foreman before the dayline super arrived in the morning. My back reminds at times that maybe it wasnt so bad washing down dirty garbage trucks. But the wallet is much happier!

Old 01-13-2010, 09:14 AM

If you can afford it then its the best thing to do to save your back for when you need to make the extra money for you pension. Its nice to leave this job standing up straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.