Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How long where you on NYCHA waiting list before you received your apartment?
Less than a year. 5 20.83%
Between 1 and 2 years. 4 16.67%
Between 2 and 3 years. 5 20.83%
Between 3 and 4 years. 10 41.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 04:50 PM

341 posts, read 452,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlem2 View Post
Moderator cut: Personal attack

what's wrong with living in public housing??? I live in nycha and my apartment is amazing. There are residents of my building that work for the board of ed, department of health, correctional officers..and why would you want to rent a room from an elderly couple???
I'm giving the OP suggestions because it sounded like she was in a bind. If the residents of your building have respectable jobs such as though, why would they need income-based or free housing? Wouldn't it be more fair to save that for people who really need it?

I'm not familiar with NYCHA, etc. But if I'm correct, it sounds like they are giving people a break on rental costs..which is fine..but if you don't need it, I think it seems awfully selfish to make the waiting lists longer for the people who *do* desperately need it. That's such a shame. I probably make less than the residents of your building and I have never utilized a gov't. program, taken any vouchers, or gotten in with the whole nycha thing....maybe I should? Where is my piece of pie? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 12:39 AM

4 posts, read 21,324 times
So how long is a transfer from 1 project to another. I put in da transfer cause my moms has 4 different sicknesses and its hard for me to travel from queens 2 manhattan wit my child. I travel everyday 2 assist my momis that an emergancy?

Old 07-22-2010, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 8,136 times
does anyone know how long after nycha interview will they call you for an apartment

Old 09-27-2010, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,004 times
is it posible to find out where you are on the housing waiting list

Old 09-27-2010, 07:30 PM

2 posts, read 5,997 times
I have a domestic violence case and i had my interview With nycha n i just found out i got accepted how long will it take them to show me an apartment do anybody know?

Old 09-27-2010, 07:37 PM

2 posts, read 5,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentC View Post
is it posible to find out where you are on the housing waiting list
Yea just call the number they gave you or if you dont get a responds go to the office

Old 10-01-2011, 08:52 AM

9 posts, read 34,548 times
I'm a victim of domestic violence and I been waiting for 3 years still. I applied for housing in 08 and now its 2011 and I'm still waiting. God forbid the person I'm running from might catch me. Smfh...it stilll takes forever you could be on fire and they still won't call you fast.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:01 PM

34 posts, read 102,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum333 View Post
I'm giving the OP suggestions because it sounded like she was in a bind. If the residents of your building have respectable jobs such as though, why would they need income-based or free housing? Wouldn't it be more fair to save that for people who really need it?

I'm not familiar with NYCHA, etc. But if I'm correct, it sounds like they are giving people a break on rental costs..which is fine..but if you don't need it, I think it seems awfully selfish to make the waiting lists longer for the people who *do* desperately need it. That's such a shame. I probably make less than the residents of your building and I have never utilized a gov't. program, taken any vouchers, or gotten in with the whole nycha thing....maybe I should? Where is my piece of pie? LOL
Who are you to determine who needs NYCHA and who doesn't..yes NYCHA has a few maybe more not so nice residents but if someone wants to live there, isnt it their choice?

Old 11-23-2012, 10:51 PM

4 posts, read 15,341 times
Exactly a smart person trying to save not living from check to ckeck would go for housing

Old 01-14-2017, 06:50 AM

3 posts, read 7,951 times
Default Experience

My experience being on a waiting list for NYCHA developments was a difficult one at first until I learned to be a thorn in their sides. Remember many people have applied, every one can not get in unless there is an exception eg. domestic abuse. I began to write the main office explaining my need for housing urgently, I send a letter and them a copy of updated letter once a week, I sent out cc's to those in the main office as well, I then got my elected official involved, and I just kept sending copies of my urgent need letter faithfully and not to long after that my application was send to the housing authority of the developments, i then began to send them letters too. So be put it politely i was a pest, but it worked, God Bless,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City