Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2009, 09:57 AM

3 posts, read 12,663 times

Advertisements

I wanted to know if the MaBSTOA and MTA Bus - Cleaner/Helper 3001 November 4 – November 24, 2009 test open to the public or do I already have to b working for Mta and if it is how do I go about applying, and do I have 2 wait till nov 4 to apply????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 10:01 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,061,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy2k7 View Post
I wanted to know if the MaBSTOA and MTA Bus - Cleaner/Helper 3001 November 4 – November 24, 2009 test open to the public or do I already have to b working for Mta and if it is how do I go about applying, and do I have 2 wait till nov 4 to apply????
It is open to the public, you don't have to be working for the MTA. Yes, you can't apply until Nov 4th.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:51 PM

Thank you very much do you know the type of questions that would be on the test and what steps I can take 2 study for the test

Old 10-25-2009, 09:35 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
You can find ads in The Chief for a couple of companies that sell "study guides." But that's basically just a way to separate you from your money. Hint about all MTA exams that are open to the public: the questions are VERY general, since you can't be expected to know the company rules, regulations and procedures. I would say that you don't really have to study for the test.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:02 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,243 times
I've found those study guides to be completely useless. For my first civil service test, I bought one and studied it like my life depended on it. As far as I can remember from taking the test, there weren't any similar questions from the guide on the exam. I've taken several tests already. NYPD, Corrections, several for the MTA, and others. Reading comprehension is all you need. They don't expect you to know the job and their policies beforehand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
...the questions are VERY general, since you can't be expected to know the company rules, regulations and procedures...
Pretty much.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:10 PM

Thanks a lit Fred u were very helpful

Old 10-26-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy2k7 View Post
Thanks a lit Fred u were very helpful
Thanks; I guess it doesn't hurt that I work for the company! (Trust me: don't listen to what people say about working for MTA--talk is cheap. I came from the publishing field originally, and you couldn't offer me anything that would entice me to go back. Anyone who wants to look down on a job with MTA is welcome to do so; it's their loss).

Old 10-27-2009, 08:36 PM

144 posts, read 463,884 times
What are the high's and low's of working as train conductor and/or working with the MTA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Thanks; I guess it doesn't hurt that I work for the company! (Trust me: don't listen to what people say about working for MTA--talk is cheap. I came from the publishing field originally, and you couldn't offer me anything that would entice me to go back. Anyone who wants to look down on a job with MTA is welcome to do so; it's their loss).

Old 10-27-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc227 View Post
What are the high's and low's of working as train conductor and/or working with the MTA?
The lows are--as you might expect--that some of our passengers are, how shall I put it, less than wonderful. Occasionally to the extent that you have to make quite an effort not to let them affect you. But those kinds of things don't happen as often as people would have you believe (one notable exception being school kids. Trust me, when the day comes that you can pick your job assignments, you'll make a genuine effort to avoid any train leaving a terminal between 2:30 and 3:30 in the afternoon!)

One of the high points, at least to me, is the knowledge that you're part of the greatest urban transit system in the world. New York City simply cannot function without its subway system. I also looked forward to the heavy tourist seasons--I found the tourists to be the best passengers on any line I ever worked.

Another, and more practical, consideration is that we have a pension plan and a health care plan. We have the right to pick our job assignments (private industry can only imagine what an advantage this is!), and opportunities for advancement. Conductors, for example, are eligible to take promotions to tower operator, train operator and assistant train dispatcher.

Good stuff, yes?

Old 11-23-2009, 09:55 AM

4 posts, read 19,667 times
I have to ask because I also took the test but I just wanted to know whether I have a shot or not. I took the conductor test for the second time last Dec and I scored a 92 even. I have a story though so bear with me. I took the test in 2004 and I scored a 95 something and my list number was 1805. I did get the letter but I wasn't home during that week so I didn't even know about it. I know the list from that exam is now done like everybody has said. My question is will I get called again and will I have first priority since I got called once before and do you have to live in NYC in order to work for the MTA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City