Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 02:21 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,494,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primomjr78 View Post
Hey Guys,
to be called for the conductor job you must score at least a 95 or above. If you don't forget about being called. I took the last exam and I got a 91.42 and they are not even close to my list # which is 6436. The list expires this august so its pretty much hopeless. Hope this info helps
That is not true; as I mentioned in an earlier post, I scored 84 when I took the conductor exam. Of course, the higher you score, the better your chances and the sooner that call will come. But in order to be on the list (being on the list = eligible, no matter what your score was) all that's necessary is for you to pass the exam. And I believe a passing grade is 70.

Now, I can't comment on the list expiration. If there are still hirings needed, it doesn't necessarily have to expire in August. It could be extended--that happens fairly often. If another exam is given (I think there may be one in 2009), then the current list will expire when a new list is created from that exam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 02:43 PM

23 posts, read 103,074 times
Fred
what was your list # when you scored that 84? Nowadays everyone wants these jobs so its a lot more competitive

Old 03-12-2009, 06:26 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,540,580 times
It's determined by how high you scored and by how many people scored higher than you, obviously. If you scored an 82 and they were only 10 other people who scored higher, then you're good to go. Since so many(thousands) took the exam, it makes sense that there is an unwritten cutoff score that will determine if you will be able to continue the process, if they happen to call you. On that note, there's a Train Operator exam open for filing until the 24th of this month.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 10,238 times
hey guys! how do i apply for the mta train conductor job? btw i am new thats y am unsure.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:22 PM

Primomjr, if I remember correctly, my list number was in the low 800s. At that time, it had been announced that 1,000 people were going to be called, so it was only necessary to be in the top thousand in order to guarantee a callup. (In reality, they went up to something like list #2,000 because not everyone accepts the callup).

Jsmoyet, you can see listings for MTA exams in The Chief, or you can pop over to the DCAS (Dept. of Citywide Administrative Services) office on Washington Avenue, just above Bowling Green Park. They have listings posted, and that's also where you go to pick up applications.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:49 PM

23 posts, read 103,074 times
Hey Guys,
The current conductor list will expire on august 9, 2009. They are stuck on # 2824 I scored a 91 and my list # is 6436 so I guess you can say its hopeless they cant go through that many #'s in 4 months. I scored a 93 on the exam last year so lets see what my new list # will be .

Hopeless it seems for me to get into transit =(

Marc

Old 04-23-2009, 11:18 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,665,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Your attention ladies and gentlemen: the exam for MTA Conductor is open for filing, September 3-23. Applications can be obtained at the Department for Citywide Administrative Services, 2 Lafayette Street. Take the advice of this current tower operator (and former conductor)--it blows the private sector away! Everyone should rush to get their application forms ASAP.
Thanks for this info.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:04 AM

35 posts, read 164,173 times
can you take the exam online or do you need to come in person and take it

Old 04-24-2009, 11:28 AM

1,121 posts, read 6,540,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBaggO View Post
Exams are given approximately every 4 years. You apply online or send the application through mail along with a $40 fee(last time I paid). Once the application deadline is closed, the test will be set for a few months ahead. When I applied, the application was in Sept. and the test was for December. The test will be in a school. They will send a card stating where and what time you need to be there.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBaggO View Post
You might be able to apply online, but you have to take the exam in person. It's usually given at one location in each borough.

Incidentally, I don't think the conductor exam is on the list for 2009--which means it's very likely the current list will be extended beyond August, probably until the next exam is given. But I know that the train operator exam is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City