Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 12:51 PM

3 posts, read 95,916 times

Advertisements

Im a construction worker.How do i get into a Union.Evan apprentice or laborer.I dont know anyone. Help anybody?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 01:56 PM

629 posts, read 901,081 times
There's a 'little' more than that to it. Places like Pittsburgh, you almost have to be related or be tight with someone in order to get into the 'building trade unions'. Here in NYC, a union construction worker will make aroung $75 and hr with his benefits. Some trades even more. After 8 hrs, it's time and a half (includes total package and even if it's just a one day job). Saturdays is all 'time and a half' (includes benefits and even just a 1 day job). Sundays are double time (includes benefits and even if 1 day job). My 'union' has in our contact when if it's a 'new work' job, after 6 hrs mon thru fri, it's all doubletime. And sat and sun are ALL double time. So a construction worker who gets on a 'new work job', and they start working alot of overtime, say 7 12's. You're looking at making around $7500.00 a week here in NYC. They dont just let ANYONE into the unions. Politics and neptism is VERY big. Im 3rd generation to give u an example.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:20 PM

A "heart beat" away is a little bit of a stretch. For example, most men couldnt make it as an IRONWORKER. Besides needing a BIG set of BALLS, u need to be in good shape. Or they'll drop u like a hot potato! I do want to clear something up too. Alot of union construction work is seasonal. You wont be working 50 weeks a yr. Maybe only six months, and u might have to travel out of state to get that. It's a living, that's all. The pension benefits is really what SEPERATES us from a white collar job. And alot of the construction work around NYC has a 35hr or 40hr work week. The work in the power plants are the jobs with all the overtime for the most part. A new building might work spot overtime if they get way behind schedule, but that's it. It's FEAST or FANOM basically. You'll never get RICH working construction. It really is just a living. And 'good money' doesnt always mean 'a good job'. I was 22yrs old when I REALIZED the difference. Construction isnt fun when u start getting older. And the toll it takes on your body is no joke either. "Exorbitantly High", u ever walk on a beem 20 stories high? Been outside working in the dead of winter? See one of your co workers killed from a fall or by being crushed to death? Walk in "OUR" shoes for a little while and I bet your opinon on our WAGES would change.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:41 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
My friend's husband is a construction worker. As spots opened up they took turns filling it - I guess that's how fathers bring sons in? The person he brought in paid him $30,000.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:47 PM

235 posts, read 1,085,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamUrFriend View Post
Hmm..I don't think it is that hard to get into a Union. I believe all you need is a heartbeat and a legal social security number. Take a walk over to any building construction site in the city and just ask the guys for their Union contact...they should be able to help.
You believe wrong! Getting into a construction union is NOT easy. MUCH nepotism in many of them.

The crane operators are in the Operating Engineers union--Good Luck getting into that one

Old 09-11-2008, 02:59 PM

Wow, that's crazy! 30 grand! Only in NYC! LOL I knew a union 'crane operater' here in NYC. Their total package is just over $100.00 an hr. Now that's for the operators running the 'big' cranes only who get that amount. An operator running a forklift on the same jobsite is making less. The operator I knew, quit his job, and got a job delivering newspapers. Still makes a good buc. The reason he did it, "They were starving him to death". Im sure some of them operators stay busy yr round. But when there aint alot of work, only the truly 'connected' ones are going to work. Now he could have gone out of town to work. But alot of guys dont like doing that. Leaving the wife and kids, to stay in a crummy motel room, for months at a clip, isnt for everyone. Like I said, " It takes a little more than a heartbeat " to cut it in union construction. There is alot more into making them paychecks than the average person thinks. A government union job is different than field construction work.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:02 PM

Southqueens, u beat me to the punch. Funny how I mentioned the crane operators as u were posting.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:07 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Work for Vons or Ralphs. They pay pretty good money for stacking cans. If you don't strive to do much with your life (8 hours of every day) then that could be for you. I'd go insane sliding cans across a code reader.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:09 PM

235 posts, read 1,085,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
Southqueens, u beat me to the punch. Funny how I mentioned the crane operators as u were posting.
Those of us who either work in construction or have family/friends who do know the real deal about getting a union card in this city. Some unions are easier than others, but for the most part even if it's doable, it is NOT easy to get that card.

Unless of course you happen to have 30K just laying around LOL

Old 09-11-2008, 03:18 PM

Do u think that ANY good paying job is EASY to get? Especially a UNION one that has GREAT pay and benefits. Life dont work that way. That guy u see swinging a sledge hammer might make more than u do. And I bet he retire's by 55 or 56 yrs old. With all do respect, I'm a UNION CONSTRUCTION worker. Have been for 15yrs. I do know the politics involved with all aspects of it. Look how tough it is to get in with the Sanitation Dept union here in NYC. I dont think that being a garbage man is considered a glamorous job by anyone. Still tough to get though. Good pay and good benefits is what makes it hard. Some people with degree's might even thumb their noses at them. But come payday, the garbage man might be the one thumbing his nose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City