U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 08:07 AM

121 posts, read 342,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I agree, I don't care much for it anymore.
I plan to relocate soon.
i have no idea why everyone is so crazy about new york city, i only really like one borough and that's brooklyn. But i'd love to get the hell out of here, this place is overpriced, too crowded, and in certain places filthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 08:21 AM

2,490 posts, read 3,812,423 times
As a born and raised NYer, the only thing I regret is not moving out of here when I was a bit younger, like in my early 20s. Of course, at that time, I thought NYC was the only place to be. Now, in my mid-30s, I feel quite different. At least when you are younger, you sort of have a fearlessness about you that you are willing to try anything. Now, I question my every move. I plan on moving out to California in the next few years, but the process of moving across the country is so daunting.

But as for NYC, the cold, artic winters, the humid, sticky summers, and the rain in between, I find it all depressing. There are actually places where the weather is NICE most of the time. Hard to imagine, living here. There are also places where people are somewhat friendly to one other, also hard to imagine living here.

I feel that is why a lot of NYers are so unhealthy, because they go from their small apartments to their cublicle prisons (I am one of them) and maybe spend a total of 1 hr. a day outside, if they are lucky. Then you end up eating crappy food, and it's a recipe for disaster. Then add on piling on top of each other on filthy subways, forget it.

Of course, for a lot of people that move here from small towns, it's a very exciting and different experience. It's all about what makes a person happy.

I know that happiness, for me, isn't in NYC.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:14 AM

96 posts, read 160,901 times
After just one or two trips to new York for me it got really old I mean and that was just visiting I mean living there I agree with some people on these threads it would never happen for me I mean it is just way to crowded and people as much as they would like to not admit it are very very rude even if you look theme in the eye to say hy to you they just stare. Why are so many people gun ho over moving there or just the whole new York thing now days I have no idea me I would live under an intersection in a box rather than new York the city does not do anything for me.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:54 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,993,978 times
As a native Brooklynite (And still here) I will say this- - there's no place like home. In my case I'm a city guy all in all. I lived in ATL for 2 years and hated it. It was too slow, inconvenient and just different. Change is good but for me NYC has my heart and no other place in America can take that away (London is a different story! lol). I think people who move here and expect it to be Disneyland Will soon wake up and realize it's not a fairytale. You have to work for everything here and you will be able to have fun too.

One visit or two doesn't equate to an accurate view of NYC - Try again. And being assertive doesn't mean we're being rude. Speak your mind and speak up when you're talking to me.

I say to people who want to move here - don't let people change your mind. I love this place and it's more safer than the movies/TV make it seem. We have bad parts of the city but we also have really really good parts as well. Just like every place in the world. =)

Old 12-11-2010, 03:22 AM

96 posts, read 160,901 times
Ok I can see where you may now be somewhat offended from a wide range of Americans you know who speak the truth and do speak up when it comes to new York if so that is the real world. Sorry to disappoint you but many Americans could care less for a crammed packed city full of misfortunes and scary incidents like I posted in my thread sorry to say it but one or two trips for not just me but like over a dozen of buddies of mine and people have all said that pretty much sets an example of the city to theme in two days let alone two visits there. That sane new Yorkers are rude did not just fall out of the sky did it I mean do some Michael more thing and go around the country and ask people I am not trying to be offensive but it is the truth whether you want to here it or not.

Last edited by rosebud17; 12-11-2010 at 03:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City