U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 05:02 PM

52 posts, read 210,809 times

Advertisements

Moving to NYC from another city is obviously a major lifestyle change...no car, smaller living quarters, intense work hard/play hard lifestyle. Most people here are pretty enthusiast about this, but I was wondering if there's anyone out there who regrets their moving choice? C'mon, any haters out there? I'm contemplating a move myself but I'm worried that while I love NYC, I might miss living a "normal" life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 05:27 PM

7,079 posts, read 33,727,881 times
Sorry to disappoint you, but I love it here.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:29 PM

500 posts, read 2,671,868 times
I was a miserable person before. Only one thing occupied my mind: live in New York City.

I finally got to move here and I'm so happy! I love New York more than anything in this world (after my wife, of course)

Old 02-06-2007, 09:33 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,462,979 times
Not a hater, but I did have terrible pangs coming back to NYC after living for 10 years in New England. I also had worse pangs coming back to the States, and NYC after living in Amsterdam for 5 years.

It was about adjustment to pace, noise, energy, competitive edge, and much more.

It is not an easy city; it is mean, green and alive!

Old 02-06-2007, 10:04 PM

100 posts, read 576,310 times
im2005,

Your question is a difficult one. NYC is what it is and chances are your first impressions are going to be the only impressions of NYC. People who dont like NYC usually see it is not for them within the first two weeks. The major things people will dislike about New York are not hidden so most people who dont like wont even attempt to live here.

People who do have some sort of tenure in NYC are ones that love the city or are used to the city life. The only reasons I have heard someone leave was because of high cost of living, or they wanted to raise their children in the suburbs.

So to summarize: There are very few people who regret moving to NYC simply because if they decided to move here, it is taking into account the obvious disadvantages. People who feel that is a problem will come, hopefully within the first few days it wil hit them, and not move here.

Hope this helps

Old 02-07-2007, 09:41 AM

284 posts, read 1,526,350 times
I lived in NYC from 1999-2003 and at that time I was ready to leave, but never hated it there. Some of the reasons were personal, but it was mostly a financial decision. I got a job offer that paid quite a lot more money in a much less expensive city.

When I first moved back to suburbia, bought a nice car and got a big, inexpensive apartment, I was thrilled and didn't miss NYC a bit. Everything was so clean and shiny and easy!!!

But it didn't take long (six months or so) until I woke up with a tremendous ache in my heart. Something was missing! I soon realized it was NYC for which I longed!

I didn't ever expect to move back, but am currently contemplating a job offer that will take me back to NYC. If it all works out, I will make nearly 4 times what I made when I lived there. For me, that's the only way I can do it.

Everyone's needs are different, but in my case, being poor and kinda lonely were enough reasons for me to leave. I now have a wonderful husband and if I can get the salary I want I will be back in NYC in a heartbeat!

It is only an "abnormal" life if you make it that way.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:01 PM

586 posts, read 981,688 times
Wink Maybe Out Of Context ?

Just FYI I am a native New Yorker (From Brooklyn) having lived in South FL almost 30 yrs. and for the past 3 yrs. in the Raleigh, NC area I can say There is no place like home in NYC ! I often wish it didn't get so expensive to live in a decent home/community and still be close to the city... I would be back in a heartbeat. NYC is full of energy and excitement and inspite of all the bad mouthing NYC gets it's so easy making friends.
Well I guess I said a mouthful but couldn't pass up the chance to say my part, happy trails to all !

Old 12-09-2010, 05:54 AM

5,514 posts, read 5,496,825 times
I guess it is okay. I was born and raised in NY. I do not love it but I think it is the best place for me to make a life for myself. I considered relocating to a number of places but the cost of living vs. salary didn't make sense to me.

I plan to go away for graduate school. The apartment I am seriously considering rents for what I pay here for my home. It is a studio and I have to pay for parking too. I thought NY was the most expensive place to live, but that is not necessarily true.

NY can be a little too fast pace for me. I often feel I cannot be myself. I don't know where my happy place is . Hopefully, I will find in the near future.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:50 AM

121 posts, read 342,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by im2005 View Post
Moving to NYC from another city is obviously a major lifestyle change...no car, smaller living quarters, intense work hard/play hard lifestyle. Most people here are pretty enthusiast about this, but I was wondering if there's anyone out there who regrets their moving choice? C'mon, any haters out there? I'm contemplating a move myself but I'm worried that while I love NYC, I might miss living a "normal" life.
well i was born here, i don't like it that much and if i had the option to pick an alternate birthplace i'd choose san francisco, san diego, chico(california), once you've lived here a certain amount of time you get tired of it.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:02 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,097,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by android91891 View Post
well i was born here, i don't like it that much and if i had the option to pick an alternate birthplace i'd choose san francisco, san diego, chico(california), once you've lived here a certain amount of time you get tired of it.
I agree, I don't care much for it anymore.
I plan to relocate soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City