Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 07:53 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times

Advertisements

But back to topic...Morrissania, an unfortunately much of the Central Bronx, is becoming the housing of last resort. The South Bronx has had billions invested to rebuild it literally from the ground up, and its proximity to Manhattan and new middle class developments are appealing to transplants from around the city. Morrissania still has substantial vacant lots, and has no master plan of any kind to revitalize it. The city is busy touting its wonderful plans and investments in the South Bronx (South of 161st that is), and is saying (and DOING) nothing about Morrisania, and other deteriorating/stagnant parts of the central Bronx. As a result, many of the poor are relocating to the central Bronx (again, north of 161st) because housing is the cheapest in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 09:08 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
The schools in DR are legit but a lot of the people unfortunately are caught up in a cycle of ignorance and poverty. They have way too many kids or more than they can support financially, and therefore some kids suffer more than others. A lot of times in a Dominican family only one or two kids can really take advantage of the Dominican schools. In the case of my dad, him being the oldest, he had to pretty much work his whole life. Also I hate to say it but a lot of people in DR have come to overly rely on their family here and have become lazy. They automatically think everything is better here and are always looking for some quick fix and not trying to better themselves in DR. So my point is while there are opportunities in DR, a lot of things get in the way, and a lot of it is a self-defeatist, quick-fix attitude unfortunately.

Also most of the immigration from DR to US is overwhelmingly from the lower masses. While there was also a substantial professional class that immigrated, Doctors, business-people, etc, seeking better wages and opportunities. Most were mostly poor and uneducated. Most of the people who are able to take advantage of the DR educational system and have good jobs there don't immigrate here, they have no need to. I don't blame them, DR is a great place to live if you have the means.

As for Morrisania, yeah it's a mess and not really seeing too much improvement.

Also as for the Drug trade thing, it was my understanding, once Dominicans started coming here in big numbers, we pretty much took over Rican's and Cubans part in the drug trade. A lot of Ricans became users and let their grip on the trade slip, and Dominicans just outnumbered Cubans. Plus the Dominicans were off the boat and hungrier. A lot of stuff is exaggerated though. In reality probably only one or two big Dominican dealers reached the upper levels of the trade. During the 80's the Drug game was a lot less centralized and there were a lot of hands in the pot, but a lot of the people on the higher levels were White dudes. In the grand scheme of things, the Dominicans weren't really doing much besides messing up their own neighborhoods and families. But at the same time a lot of towns, houses in DR, and even churches, lol, were built on drug money. But that's life.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 04-08-2009 at 09:31 AM..

Old 04-08-2009, 02:42 PM

730 posts, read 2,053,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
But back to topic...Morrissania, an unfortunately much of the Central Bronx, is becoming the housing of last resort. The South Bronx has had billions invested to rebuild it literally from the ground up, and its proximity to Manhattan and new middle class developments are appealing to transplants from around the city. Morrissania still has substantial vacant lots, and has no master plan of any kind to revitalize it. The city is busy touting its wonderful plans and investments in the South Bronx (South of 161st that is), and is saying (and DOING) nothing about Morrisania, and other deteriorating/stagnant parts of the central Bronx. As a result, many of the poor are relocating to the central Bronx (again, north of 161st) because housing is the cheapest in the city.
Very true about the Central Bronx relocations of Dominicans. Thanks to the fact that some of the Washington Heights crosstown buses (specifically the Bx6, 11, 35, and 36) go through Morrisania and East Tremont. I have been seeing a number of people that get on the Bx35 at Broadway or at St. Nicholas Avenue and getting off at the very last stop on Southern Boulevard. This is how I've been noticing the many Dominicans moving further east in the Bronx. When I was younger, most Dominicans lived west of the Concourse. When I was in high school, the boundary pushed to Webster Avenue. Nowadays, they're heading further east to nicer areas such as Van Nest, Longwood, and Soundview.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:40 PM

185 posts, read 752,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Damn you wrote alot Desi.

But basically,

Dominicans are the minutemen of the Colombians. What happens is that the Colombians went to DR and dropped off their drug supply there. The Dominicans would then come to New York, and supply the dealers. There is a reason that Washington Heights was/is the drug capital of NYC. Where do you think the Puerto Ricans and blacks get their drugs? They can't get it in the US. And Puerto Rico is heavily scrutinized by the national guard. The Dominicans brought it in. And you're way off. The west Bronx during the crack days where dominated by Dominican drug dealers. The Boris and blacks usually stuck in the south Bronx. But the Papi chulos, Wild cowboys, Jherri curls, Dominican power, La Compania and most recently los Trinitarios are all infamous Dominican drug gangs. How many Puerto Rican and black drug gangs can you name? Very few. Fact is Dominicans ran the drug trade Uptown from the tip of the island all the way to west Harlem in the 130's....ran it in the west/central Bronx and ran it in Bushwick and Corona/East Elmhurst. And in other areas, they supplied the dealers. Of course there are a plethora of Puerto Rican and black drug dealers EVERYWHERE. But none had the impact of the Dominicans. Puerto Ricans are actually more notorious for using crack.

And I am Dominican myself, just so you dont think im attacking Domis.
Touche, you know your stuff I see. I suppose we see it a bit differently, but I also remember seeing all the deportees back on the island, which is what influenced me most on this topic.

Either way, it tended to be immigrants and minorities on the bottom of the trade, or atleast the ones that that got caught AND sentenced.

But or the poster that said to go and look at the prisons and see how many white people were in for drug crimes, Well already bet you to it, The ratio I saw in South Florida was 90% plus minorities for such crimes, of those incarcerated here in New York I saw one white construction worker with heroin on the side, I dont think anyone believes that white drug use and white drug crime incarceration is anywhere near on par with reality, Yes I have visited prisons and seen for myself so this is first hand, but I am sure the stats on this are easily accessible.

But yes, back to Morrissania, this area has stayed the worst because of the lack of subway transportation I believe. If the 8 train had never been torn down, I doubt it would still be vacant. IT is true, the development stays all below 161St, and Mott Haven is much safer now then central bronx (mostly because of politics and the "south" bronx stigma, politicians focused on the most "south" part. It is starting to get much worse again here in Morrissania.

And ITs true, Dominicans are moving here from Washington Heights because of the rent. I see it all the time. And the cross bronx bus routes do foster that migration eastward. Still Dominicans are not buy any means the majority in this neighborhood. It is still predominantly black. But something else it at play here than race, as this neighborhood was still predominantly black and very safe 6 years ago.

And yet, Morrisania is being developed pretty quickly, and yet getting worse. The irony is that when it was Really Really abondoned, burnt out, and empty it was safer than now (when its only Partially abandoned/burntout/empty here and there)

So whats at play here?

Old 04-15-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiArnez6 View Post
Touche, you know your stuff I see. I suppose we see it a bit differently, but I also remember seeing all the deportees back on the island, which is what influenced me most on this topic.

Either way, it tended to be immigrants and minorities on the bottom of the trade, or atleast the ones that that got caught AND sentenced.

But or the poster that said to go and look at the prisons and see how many white people were in for drug crimes, Well already bet you to it, The ratio I saw in South Florida was 90% plus minorities for such crimes, of those incarcerated here in New York I saw one white construction worker with heroin on the side, I dont think anyone believes that white drug use and white drug crime incarceration is anywhere near on par with reality, Yes I have visited prisons and seen for myself so this is first hand, but I am sure the stats on this are easily accessible.

But yes, back to Morrissania, this area has stayed the worst because of the lack of subway transportation I believe. If the 8 train had never been torn down, I doubt it would still be vacant. IT is true, the development stays all below 161St, and Mott Haven is much safer now then central bronx (mostly because of politics and the "south" bronx stigma, politicians focused on the most "south" part. It is starting to get much worse again here in Morrissania.

And ITs true, Dominicans are moving here from Washington Heights because of the rent. I see it all the time. And the cross bronx bus routes do foster that migration eastward. Still Dominicans are not buy any means the majority in this neighborhood. It is still predominantly black. But something else it at play here than race, as this neighborhood was still predominantly black and very safe 6 years ago.

And yet, Morrisania is being developed pretty quickly, and yet getting worse. The irony is that when it was Really Really abondoned, burnt out, and empty it was safer than now (when its only Partially abandoned/burntout/empty here and there)

So whats at play here?
I think Morrisania (as well as East Tremont) are being made as strictly residential neighborhoods where people mostly live. Most of the areas south of 161st St are being catered for the Manhattan buyers as well as a shopping zone.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:20 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,850 times
I don't think that it is lack of subway service that has stopped Morrisania from developing. Before the fires Morrisania was a thriving residential community. Outside of the projects, Morrisania was mostly private homes, and small apt buildings. It was always mostly residential. I think that there are some other reasons why Morrisania has been overlooked. I don't know what they are, so I won't speculate. I have always wondered about why, since it is still fairly close to Manhattan, and sandwiched between areas that have been revitalized.

There is subway service, and for most it is no further than subways are for people in Brooklyn, Queens, and other sections of the Bronx.

Since this has been the tradition, and there is not Subway service to a lot of it, there should be more houses built with parking, also more shopping strips for everyday needs, in the eastern sections of Morrisania, that still have vacant lots, or old houses that families would be willing to sell to developers. I also think that the developers should use community based contractors for the building of the new housing.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
I don't think that it is lack of subway service that has stopped Morrisania from developing. Before the fires Morrisania was a thriving residential community. Outside of the projects, Morrisania was mostly private homes, and small apt buildings. It was always mostly residential. I think that there are some other reasons why Morrisania has been overlooked. I don't know what they are, so I won't speculate. I have always wondered about why, since it is still fairly close to Manhattan, and sandwiched between areas that have been revitalized.

There is subway service, and for most it is no further than subways are for people in Brooklyn, Queens, and other sections of the Bronx.

Since this has been the tradition, and there is not Subway service to a lot of it, there should be more houses built with parking, also more shopping strips for everyday needs, in the eastern sections of Morrisania, that still have vacant lots, or old houses that families would be willing to sell to developers. I also think that the developers should use community based contractors for the building of the new housing.
Agreed. With an area without subway service, it should have some type of middle-class presence in the midst of the projects. This way, there is a mix of incomes, thus maintaining a financial balance in Morrisania.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:34 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,813,054 times
Bump for neongumbo.
I would have linked it in the other thread---but for some reason my hyper links arent working

Old 12-13-2010, 02:32 PM

138 posts, read 373,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish22 View Post
Bump for neongumbo.
I would have linked it in the other thread---but for some reason my hyper links arent working
thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City