Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 10:40 AM

4 posts, read 20,840 times

Advertisements

I need to get from Manhattan to LaGuardia Airport pretty early in the morning. I am a 19 year old girl and would have to switch from the N train to the M60 train in Astoria Queens at 6 am which are at different subway stations. Is this a safe walk, Hopstop says its about 9 minutes, its just a few blocks but I do not know Queens and wouldn't want to do anything to risky at that time.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 10:45 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm315 View Post
I need to get from Manhattan to LaGuardia Airport pretty early in the morning. I am a 19 year old girl and would have to switch from the N train to the M60 train in Astoria Queens at 6 am which are at different subway stations. Is this a safe walk, Hopstop says its about 9 minutes, its just a few blocks but I do not know Queens and wouldn't want to do anything to risky at that time.
Thanks!
The M60 is a BUS not a train so you'll be switching from a train to a bus to LGA. The bus/train stops in Astoria are pretty safe. Also if you're anywhere near 106/Broadway in Manhattn the M60 originates there and goes all the way to LGA - a longer ride but no switching from train to bus in Astoria.

Which is better? Depends on your point of origin and time available - but I believe safety is not compromised either way.

Hope that helps.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:08 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
I don't understand if you are going from Manhattan to LGA why your trip would have to include a 9 minute walk.

What is your starting point in Manhattan?

There is a bus - the Q47 - that leaves from the Jackson Heights 74th St. station. There are several train lines that go there including the E/F/7/R/V, and there is no walk at all as the bus station is connected to the subway station. Wouldn't that be better?

http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/q047cur.pdf

Old 09-17-2008, 03:33 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,984,640 times
You'd be much better off taking the Q33 or the Q47 from 74th Street. Either way, there is no walk from the N train to the bus.. that's what I was trying to understand.. you get off at Astoria Blvd, and the bus is right there next to the train station! Anyway, Astoria is very safe, and you'll be fine even at that time.. 74th St. might seem a little shady, but you won't have a problem.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:41 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
For the heck of it I just tried hopstop and maybe I didn't spend enough time on it, but when I typed in "Laguardia Airport" as my destination in Queens, it refused to recognize it! So I selected that I wanted to choose my destination on the map and I pointed it to Laguardia and it refused that too!

I think the MTA Trip planner is much better. MTA NYC Transit - Trip Planner

And it says to get off at 74th St. in Jackson Heights and take the Q33 bus.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:45 PM

As a side note, it should take about 25 - 30 minutes to get to LaGuardia on the Q33 from 74th.. I'm only guessing because I live a couple stops in and it usually takes 15 - 20 minutes.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:42 PM

Oops about the M60 being a bus, never taken it obviously. It says that I have to get off at the Ditmars Blvd/Astoria stop which I thought was at 31st and Ditmars and says that the M60 bus is as 31st and Hoyt.
Also I tried using the point to point trip planner on the MTA site but since it only does things that are on one line it doesnt work because I am starting down from Lafayette and Canal.
I then used the MTA Custom Trip Planner and it gave me the same directions as Hopstop, Ditmars Blvd/Astoria to 31st and Hoyt for the M60

Old 09-17-2008, 04:44 PM

also, for some reason I went back to Hopstop and Laguardia Airport doesnt seem to exist for them anymore, dunno whats wrong

Old 09-17-2008, 04:52 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
I take the M60 bus from 49th st in Astoria going to Harlem at 6:30 each morning going to work. Of course it's safe. I sometimes wait alone at the bus stop right along Astoria blvd in the pitch black mornings in the dead of winter. Never had any problems besides guys honking at me in their cars. Once you get to 31st st, there are tons of people around taking the M60 to and from Manhattan.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm315 View Post
Oops about the M60 being a bus, never taken it obviously. It says that I have to get off at the Ditmars Blvd/Astoria stop which I thought was at 31st and Ditmars and says that the M60 bus is as 31st and Hoyt.
Also I tried using the point to point trip planner on the MTA site but since it only does things that are on one line it doesnt work because I am starting down from Lafayette and Canal.
I then used the MTA Custom Trip Planner and it gave me the same directions as Hopstop, Ditmars Blvd/Astoria to 31st and Hoyt for the M60
31st and Hoyt is Astoria Blvd, no wonder it says 9 minutes.. they wanted you to walk from Ditmars back to Astoria Blvd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City