U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 04:59 PM

367 posts, read 451,840 times
SI has a strong NY accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 07:48 PM

718 posts, read 1,545,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax78 View Post
I don't think it's gone. When I leave NY, everyone knows I'm from NY, especially when I say certain words: Talk, water, coffee,saw, etc. I think if you're from NY, you have an accent.

Also, like I said in another post, if you're from Staten Island, or Queens, or BK, or BX, or LI, it will sound different. Maybe it's not as strong as a presence in Manhattan because many people are transplants, but it's there.
Most people dont know this. There is a huge difference between Bronx/Westchester accents and Brooklyn/Queens/SI/LI accents. I dont know what it is exactly, but I can always tell. A Manhattanite would never pick up a difference. Neither would someone from NJ or Ohio. Youd have to grow up around the accent to know

Old 09-20-2008, 07:53 PM

467 posts, read 1,135,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
Most people dont know this. There is a huge difference between Bronx/Westchester accents and Brooklyn/Queens/SI/LI accents. I dont know what it is exactly, but I can always tell. A Manhattanite would never pick up a difference. Neither would someone from NJ or Ohio. Youd have to grow up around the accent to know
Yupyup. I hear ya.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:22 AM

3,369 posts, read 7,409,418 times
^^The Bronx/Westchester accent sounds closer to the Boston accent than the Brooklyn/Queens/Staten Island accent does. That's the only way that I know how to describe it.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:44 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,579,452 times
There is no difference between a Bronx and Brooklyn accent.

For example, Bugs Bunny is said to have a Bronx accent, but what separates it from a Brooklyn accent?

Old 09-21-2008, 11:57 AM
Riv

236 posts, read 401,328 times
Bronx accent? Tomater, potater, soder for Tomato, potato, soda etc. You won't hear that in Brooklyn.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:17 PM

3,369 posts, read 7,409,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
There is no difference between a Bronx and Brooklyn accent.

For example, Bugs Bunny is said to have a Bronx accent, but what separates it from a Brooklyn accent?
Bugs Bunny sounds like he could be from Rhode Island or MA near Boston, and this is closer to a Bronx accent than a Brooklyn/Queens/Staten Island accent. I pick up on this after having lived in both Boston and here.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:54 PM

866 posts, read 2,774,870 times
Does each ethnic group in the city have a different accent, this is what I had heard before. That the old school Italians, Irish, Jewish, etc. have different types of accents, is his true anymore?

Old 09-21-2008, 02:23 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,579,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Bugs Bunny sounds like he could be from Rhode Island or MA near Boston, and this is closer to a Bronx accent than a Brooklyn/Queens/Staten Island accent. I pick up on this after having lived in both Boston and here.
No such thing.

Finally, it is worth noting that despite common references to "a Bronx accent," or "a Brooklyn accent," no published study has found any feature that varies internally beyond local names. Impressions that the dialect varies geographically may be a byproduct of class and/or ethnic variation.

New York dialect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-21-2008, 02:28 PM

7,081 posts, read 24,174,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I went to college in Massachusetts. There is NO mistaking Mel Blanc's Bugs Bunny's speech pattern for one of a resident of New England. It's New York - completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City