U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 06:57 PM

6 posts, read 20,652 times

Advertisements

I previously posted this thread and for some reason now I can't find it, so I will post again. I am just looking for some feedback and thoughts. i am a 26 year old teacher and single mom and I live in Fort Lauderdale Florida. I really want to relocate up to NY this summer.

I prefer teaching in innercity, low income schools and I would like to live somewhere in Brooklyn (I think?). However, I really don't much about the buroughs and what is safe and what is affordable for a single teacher mom. I am planning on renting so if anyone could steer me to some safe, reasonbale areas to rent I would really appreciate it.

The reason I want NY is because I have family in Long Island and friends in Queens. I really am open to any and all suggestions and opions as to whether you think this is a wise move and if it is even doable (financially).

Thanks for all your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 06:54 AM

1 posts, read 3,175 times
You might want to post this in the New York, NY (NYC forum), rather than general NY.

Old 02-11-2007, 07:50 AM

27 posts, read 79,908 times
Why Would You Want To Put Yourself In Hell

Old 02-11-2007, 10:55 AM

8,900 posts, read 12,706,739 times
I'm student teaching right now in Manhattan and live on Long Island. Next year I'm going to be teaching in either Manhattan or Queens and living in Queens. The schools with bad test results aren't necessarly the bad schools. You probably know that though. I went into student teaching expecting these city schools to be horrible, but they aren't as bad as you think. Your first day you have to be extra mean so the kids get scared of you. If you don't, they'll walk all over you.

If you want to live in Manhattan, you would probably need a roommate. In the other boroughs, you could probably get a small 1 bedroom or a decent sized studio with what you would be making.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:00 AM

93 posts, read 333,517 times
I grew up in NYC, East Bronx, Pelham Bay area. I am now a very happy resident of SW Florida. I have family in Long Island, Smithtown, the theme song there is "Exodus" In NYC english is now the language of the minority. NYC income tax, NY State income tax, over 8% sales tax, auto insurance of several thousand per year WITHOUT collision is the norm. BTW half the drivers in NYC do not have licenses and the other half do not have ins. Houses in Pelham Bay now average over $600K Where the marinas were, now 2 family attached townhouses, the prices are over 1 Million. In the burbs the prices are less but the property taxes are BRUTAL. There are sooooo many people leaving New York that the state has lost seats in Congress and this is only the beginning. I would think reeeaaaaallll long and hard before making that move.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:20 AM

500 posts, read 2,672,117 times
I'm glad you're happy in trashy, trailer-park queen Florida, member Aaargghhh. But I SO disagree with you. There's a reason why we pay the highest taxes in the nation, and it is because we in New York live in the capital of the world, greatest city on earth!

Honestly, not even a tax-free haven and free housing would make me move form the excitement of New York City to Florida or any damn similar location.

We walk the world, here in NYC! And that's so worth high taxes and expensive housing.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:35 PM

364 posts, read 369,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
I'm glad you're happy in trashy, trailer-park queen Florida, member Aaargghhh. But I SO disagree with you. There's a reason why we pay the highest taxes in the nation, and it is because we in New York live in the capital of the world, greatest city on earth!

Honestly, not even a tax-free haven and free housing would make me move form the excitement of New York City to Florida or any damn similar location.

We walk the world, here in NYC! And that's so worth high taxes and expensive housing.

"Trailer trash Florida" LOL! I've done the Florida thing. Still do part time. Only because of my fiance. With rising costs and fleeing residents I am trying to talk some sense into him to get out with the rest.

I agree with your statement, "We walk the world". I think NYC is the best! Unbeatable in so many ways!! Dining, shopping, culture, entertainment, class, ect..

Old 02-16-2007, 09:29 PM

2,005 posts, read 4,272,823 times
Don't do it Shorem. You sound green and somewhat confused. You already used safe, low Income and Brookyn in the same sentence, these things do not even belong in the same post. Take a holiday here in the summer but do not move here. Your name means failed nuclear power plant in these parts. If you move here you may explode.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,616 times
Default Want to Move to New York

My goal is to move to new york. Problem is... i have no idea where, what i'll need, and where to find a job.

I'm planning to get my Degree in Criminal Justice First at ASU or NAU. I would like to become a detective, but i really need some help on getting it in order.

thanks

Old 01-23-2009, 10:08 PM

3,225 posts, read 7,494,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_wantstomovelol View Post
My goal is to move to new york. Problem is... i have no idea where, what i'll need, and where to find a job.

I'm planning to get my Degree in Criminal Justice First at ASU or NAU. I would like to become a detective, but i really need some help on getting it in order.

thanks
check the sticky at the top for starters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or