Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 06:37 PM

45 posts, read 170,442 times

Advertisements

So, it's a pricey place to live, or so I've read. Just out of curiosity, what do you all do for jobs? What is your educational background? Where do you work, geographically? And how do you get to work (walk, cab, subway, etc.)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 07:05 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfulpup View Post
So, it's a pricey place to live, or so I've read. Just out of curiosity, what do you all do for jobs? What is your educational background? Where do you work, geographically? And how do you get to work (walk, cab, subway, etc.)?
In refusing to answer that massive list of questions, I affirm my rights under the Fifth Amendment to the US Constitution.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:07 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,332,493 times
it does not require any of the things you asked

You just need rich parents

That way you will get into a good school, have a nice job waiting for you

That takes care of everything

peace out

Old 09-23-2008, 10:48 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,089 times
Lots of socio-economic diversity, upward economic mobility and a rather cosmopolitan crowd in Manhattan, arguably one of the world's two most intellectually and economically interesting regions (along w/SiliconValley)....

Sure, lots of trust-fund kids, but many more middle-class kids who grew up elsewhere in US; attended decent colleges like Harvard/Wharton; chose lucrative careers like finance; and made a few bucks at a young age....

Since the mid-'80s, Manhattan has prob generated more self-made, <40yo wealthy guys in its various financial industries than anywhere else on planet...only rival is SiliconValley w/its tech wealth creation....lots of very smart, talented, industrious guys in both regions who've started many valuable companies, often when they were <30yo....quintessentially American growth economies...

But Manhattan is eminently mockable, as it is US' toughest city to drive self around town to office, dinner, errands, etc (doable, but annoying....and IMO driving own car is only civilized way to travel around Manhattan, an otherwise 3rdWorld-like town).....

Over the years, many young financiers who are car nuts have left Manhattan as early as possible in their careers to join hedge funds/private equity shops in SF/BeverlyHills, which are relative paradises for car guys in terms of nr-perfect weather and superb infrastructure/roads to enjoy driving performance cars for both daily commuting and wkend pleasure driving...

Old 09-23-2008, 11:41 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Lots of socio-economic diversity, upward economic mobility and a rather cosmopolitan crowd in Manhattan, arguably one of the world's two most intellectually and economically interesting regions (along w/SiliconValley)....

Sure, lots of trust-fund kids, but many more middle-class kids who grew up elsewhere in US; attended decent colleges like Harvard/Wharton; chose lucrative careers like finance; and made a few bucks at a young age....

Since the mid-'80s, Manhattan has prob generated more self-made, <40yo wealthy guys in its various financial industries than anywhere else on planet...only rival is SiliconValley w/its tech wealth creation....lots of very smart, talented, industrious guys in both regions who've started many valuable companies, often when they were <30yo....quintessentially American growth economies...

But Manhattan is eminently mockable, as it is US' toughest city to drive self around town to office, dinner, errands, etc (doable, but annoying....and IMO driving own car is only civilized way to travel around Manhattan, an otherwise 3rdWorld-like town).....

Over the years, many young financiers who are car nuts have left Manhattan as early as possible in their careers to join hedge funds/private equity shops in SF/BeverlyHills, which are relative paradises for car guys in terms of nr-perfect weather and superb infrastructure/roads to enjoy driving performance cars for both daily commuting and wkend pleasure driving...
Do you live in New York? This is definitely misinformation from the standpoint of anyone who lives here, although this could be due to being a transplant who is not in synch with the city.

People do drive themselves around town, but many walk, and those who have a good deal of money hire drivers, which is more civilized than dealing with the hassles and inefficiencies of parking. To whom is New York being mocked? Certainly not New Yorkers, since New Yorkers don't really worry about not driving every two feet that they need to travel. That's a specious assertion from the standpoint of the reality of life in New York.

Also, Wharton is not a college; it's a school of business of the University of Pennsylvania. Now the hedgies want to go to BH and flee NYC? I thought that all wanted to go to Greenwich for its "cheap land," and be driven into the city in the wee hours of the morning and back home late at night if they didn't work in Greenwich proper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfulpup View Post
New York is expensive, yes, and people here work in all kinds of industries. The city, as a whole, has a very diverse population, and while many areas of Manhattan have crept up in value as of late, the island is not a uniformly wealthy place, though certain neighborhoods do have a higher percentage of wealthier residents.

People commute via walking, cab, train, bus, subway, etc. all depending upon how far they need to travel and the most efficient route to the office. Just to give a guideline, some can live within the city and it takes an hour and a half to get to business centers in Manhattan, whereas others can walk to work in 20 minutes or less. It's all relative, and it's not tied solely to wealth as some might incorrectly assert as there are very wealthy areas that are removed from the business districts, and then there are some that border the Midtown area.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:53 AM

551 posts, read 1,575,337 times
HSW, are you for real?? Or did you post this at 1:00 a.m. after taking your drunken one hour drive back to Greenwich from an after-work stint at Scores??

I have lived here for 40+ years, and don't know a single person that drives around Manhattan to work, socialize or run errands, save for a few people who use their cars to drop kids at school before returning the car home and commuting to work like 90+% of New Yorkers, paying $2 for the subway. One of the beauties of NY is that you don't need a car, and you never know whether the guy/girl next to you on the sidewalk or the subway is a homeless guy from the Bronx or a financier worth billions.

People do lots of things to make enough money to make it by or do very well in NYC. The residents of my condo building include a television executive, a jewelry designer, a restaurant owner, a doctor, an opera singer, and one of the inevitable unemployed (or underemployed) trust fund kids.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:11 AM

718 posts, read 2,324,664 times
Gotta hustle!

Trust fund kids have no heart and drive if they're tappin daddy's money past age 22

Old 09-24-2008, 09:57 AM

27 posts, read 113,006 times
HSW either you are joking, you don't live in the city or you are a completely pretentious and out of touch. To say that if you don't drive then the city is like a 3rd world country. HAVE YOU EVER BEEN TO A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY????? Well I have and let me tell you that they do not have the luxuries of trains and buses, food on every corner, water fountains, public restrooms, deciding whether they want to drive to work or take the train. Why does it look like a 3rd world country if you venture out of the safety of your little car? Because there are people of different ethnicities and colors walking around on the streets and taking the subway? Because you might see a homeless person?

I know doctors, lawyers, accountants, black people, white people, asians, europeans who all ride the train and then walk to their destination. Almost everyone in NYC walks and take transit because it is so congested that it does make it very difficult to drive within the city. That is what make NYC unique.[/SIZE]

Regarding affording Manhattan it all depends on how you choose to live. I am not rich or even close to it by any stretch but I make it work. I live in Manhattan and live in a rent-controlled apartment. I work 40 hours in a real estate office on 5th Ave and my fiance works full time as well. Between the two of us we make less than 100,000 (hsw you better get out of this thread, my poverty (only by rich American's standards) might taint you and we make it and we still have money left over to take advantage of the museums, theaters, restaurant and other activities available in NYC.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:15 AM

274 posts, read 1,108,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaia227 View Post
HSW either you are joking, you don't live in the city or you are a completely pretentious and out of touch. To say that if you don't drive then the city is like a 3rd world country.

I know doctors, lawyers, accountants, black people, white people, asians, europeans who all ride the train and then walk to their destination.
When you walk or take public transpo, Manhattan does sometime seem more 3rd world compared to other 1st world cities because of the masses of people, urine-reeked trains, poopy sidewalks, pregnant mommas with 6 kids, the homeless, cold/rain/humidity, etc.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:18 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rock View Post
When you walk or take public transpo, Manhattan does sometime seem more 3rd world compared to other 1st world cities because of the masses of people, urine-reeked trains, poopy sidewalks, pregnant mommas with 6 kids, the homeless, cold/rain/humidity, etc.

Boy, you sure must live/work in a tough part of town!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: