Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 11:45 AM

467 posts, read 1,684,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
I think Saturday is a better day, because people won't have work, and they'll be able to come at.. say, noon or early afternoon and then spend the whole day around.. we could do more than one neighborhood if time permits, and we'd be able to stay out for longer, and later.
I agree. I am soooo exhausted on Fridays. Saturday would be cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 07:18 PM

348 posts, read 1,248,187 times
You crack me up, Miles!

I just got back from a full day in Throgs Neck - and there are a bunch of really cool neighborhood bars and restaurants. We ate at the Zagat-rated Toscas and then I ventured off by myself to a snap a few pics. Stumbled upon this REALLY cool dive bar (and I use "dive" in the BEST sense of the word) - "Alphies Place - Good Food, Honest Whiskey". They were playing Aerosmith and other great rock classics. (Maybe you all are too young for that, but it that is right up my alley!) And although it was all guys at the time and I was nervous at first to step in (not used to doing that sort of thing) they made me feel welcome right away and had me laughing immediately. If you guys were to come to Parkchester, I would recommend we head on over to Throgs Neck (just a short bus ride away). And you all could take an Express Bus back to the UES. Maybe I'll post a few pics tomorrow...

Might not be your cup of tea....Just a suggestion.

Last edited by NYCwoman; 09-27-2008 at 07:38 PM..

Old 09-27-2008, 07:26 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCwoman View Post
You crack me up, Miles!

I just got back from a full day in Throgs Neck - and there are a bunch of really cool neighborhood bars and restaurants. We ate at the Zagat-rated Toscas and then I ventured off by myself to a snap a few pics. Stumbled upon this REALLY cool dive bar (and I use "dive" in the BEST sense of the word) - "Arties Place - Good Food, Honest Whiskey". They were playing Aerosmith and other great rock classics. (Maybe you all are too young for that, but it that is right up my alley!) And although it was all guys at the time and I was nervous at first to step in (not used to doing that sort of thing) they made me feel welcome right away and had me laughing immediately. If you guys were to come to Parkchester, I would recommend we head on over to Throgs Neck (just a short bus ride away). And you all could take an Express Bus back to the UES. Maybe I'll post a few pics tomorrow...

Might not be your cup of tea....Just a suggestion.
It's an absolutely great suggestion, NYC Woman. Please pursue that further. It sounds like a lot of fun. Oh, and I do know/enjoy Aerosmith.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:39 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
Would a location that is a bus ride from a subway be convenient for people who are not arriving as a group and are coming from possibly pretty far away like Queens and Brooklyn? It just seems like when these events happen, it's easy to say you want to come (like me, I think I want to come) but I have a feeling that when the time comes and I am faced with a long subway ride and THEN waiting for a bus, and at the end of the evening another bus ride that only brings me back to Manhattan whereupon I would have to then get on the subway. . . I just won't go.

But. . .don't plan around me, since maybe I am just not motivated enough!

Old 09-27-2008, 10:44 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,668,324 times
Yeah... I have to concur with Henna: the one-hour subway ride I would have to Parkchester is "pushing it" anyways... a bus ride added to that and we're looking at 75 to 90 minutes for me to see a fairly generic suburban neighborhood (Throggs Neck). In order for these meets to be successful, I think that we need to really consider their proximity to express subway stops. Not many people show up when a meet is held in Union Square, so I can't imagine how few would show up in Throggs Neck!

But regarding Parkchester... what will we do there? Is there a good restaurant/lounge/bar that would be good for the meet and that is very close to the express subway stop?

Old 09-28-2008, 05:17 AM

No, I wouldn't suggest Parkchester for that purpose. (When I want to bring people to a really nice place, I usually opt for a 10-15 minute bus or cab ride to go somewhere else - somewhere a little more "special"). I think SobroGuy asked me because he was thinking about the people who may be interested in checking the place out to move there (I know I have gotten a bunch of messages from people who wanted to come up and have me show them around). So, maybe that will be a separate trip for a different group of people (and those people - let's continue to "talk" about you guys coming up separately. Maybe a meet up (Saturday or Sunday) in Parkchester, lunch at one of the great Italian restaurants in Throgs Neck or Little Italy and then a trip to the Botanical Gardens??)

Anyway, I will throw it back to SobroGuy for the larger group. Away you go!

Last edited by NYCwoman; 09-28-2008 at 05:36 AM..

Old 09-28-2008, 09:19 PM

3 posts, read 24,676 times
I am new here ...when we say hosting - how many people we talking? And are we talking about hosting in someones house or meet at a location and go on a walking tour? I live in east elmhurst queens and would not mind helping with a queens (astoria, flushing, corona, jackson heights tour) but the issue is I am moving very soon to the North Bronx, so there is not house location for me out here. But I have lived here oh about 20 years and can help people if they have questions.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:06 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
Okay I am back! Saturdays might be better. The point of the meet-ups is to learn about neighborhoods you may have an interest in, or have read/heard about and want to see. The advantage is that you are in a safe and controlled environment with a "host" or local who lives in the area, and can answer questions and take you around a bit to get a feel for it. And let's not forget...we meet some new people and learn something new about our city. I will be away Saturday October 11, so the first event will be in fact Saturday October 18, November 8, and December 13. Saturday October 18 will be in Parkchester with NYCWoman, and she will be posting the time shortly.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:46 AM

No can do...I am away that weekend. Sorry, I didn't see your pm soon enough, SobroGuy.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:47 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
Geez this aint easy! Anyone want to volunteer their neighborhood for Saturday October 18?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: