U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: In your opinion is crime citywide up or down since 2005?
Up 89 47.85%
Down 97 52.15%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 08-02-2009, 11:39 AM
 
Location: LawnGuyLin
674 posts, read 1,184,495 times
Reputation: 196

Advertisements

Worst day in terms of crime in at least 4 or 5 years.

 
Old 08-02-2009, 11:46 AM
 
122 posts, read 186,137 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
Worst day in terms of crime in at least 4 or 5 years.
Wow! Really? I mean i thought that with 3 shootings in Manhattan because from viewing the news map like everyday you just don't see that its rare if there is one shooting, but I guess it isn't the Utopian place people make it to be.
I just find all this interesting because im coming to NYC for John Jay School of criminal justice.
 
Old 08-02-2009, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
7,899 posts, read 13,745,522 times
Reputation: 2417
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac14 View Post
Wow! Really? I mean i thought that with 3 shootings in Manhattan because from viewing the news map like everyday you just don't see that its rare if there is one shooting, but I guess it isn't the Utopian place people make it to be.
I just find all this interesting because im coming to NYC for John Jay School of criminal justice.
Who called it a Utopia?
 
Old 08-02-2009, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Bay Ridge, NY
1,916 posts, read 5,377,654 times
Reputation: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac14 View Post
Wow! Really? I mean i thought that with 3 shootings in Manhattan because from viewing the news map like everyday you just don't see that its rare if there is one shooting, but I guess it isn't the Utopian place people make it to be.
I just find all this interesting because im coming to NYC for John Jay School of criminal justice.
lol, Manhattan has good and bad neighborhoods just like every place else. Seeing shootings in Harlem or Washington Heights wouldn't be a surprising thing.
 
Old 08-02-2009, 03:27 PM
 
122 posts, read 186,137 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
lol, Manhattan has good and bad neighborhoods just like every place else. Seeing shootings in Harlem or Washington Heights wouldn't be a surprising thing.
lol I know I was just saying some people on here act like Manhattan has no crime. Thats all im saying.
 
Old 08-03-2009, 08:50 AM
 
Location: South Bronx
1,198 posts, read 1,342,645 times
Reputation: 907
Bronx father of 3 shot and killed at bus stop in Soundview


http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_c..._shootout.html


Couple of shootings in the Bx this past weekend, may be a cold winter will slow down this shooting spree which seems to be hitting the City.
 
Old 08-03-2009, 09:06 AM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
7,899 posts, read 13,745,522 times
Reputation: 2417
It's not uncommon in NYC during the summer to have several crazy days. As many already know, the summer creates a witches brew.
 
Old 08-03-2009, 12:46 PM
 
Location: BROOKLYN ENY
6 posts, read 7,485 times
Reputation: 12
Stray bullet from shootout kills 87-year-old grandma in Coney Island

sad story, very unfortunate R.I.P. to the lady.
with summer brings violence i dont know why people think new york is so safe when shootings happen like everyday that murder rate chart is misleaded the people from other states who think this is a safe town times square/manhattan maybe but harlem and les can be just as wild as the rest of the boroughs with an exception to parts of queens and most of staten island new york can be dangerous

Last edited by offsafety; 08-03-2009 at 01:18 PM..
 
Old 08-03-2009, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Bay Ridge, NY
1,916 posts, read 5,377,654 times
Reputation: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by offsafety View Post
Stray bullet from shootout kills 87-year-old grandma in Coney Island

sad story, very unfortunate R.I.P. to the lady.
with summer brings violence i dont know why people think new york is so safe when shootings happen like everyday that murder rate chart is misleaded the people from other states who think this is a safe town times square/manhattan maybe but harlem and les can be just as wild as the rest of the boroughs with an exception to parts of queens and most of staten island new york can be dangerous
New York is relatively safe... a lot of places have MUCH higher crime rates than here. Yes, bad things happen.. but more bad things happen elsewhere, lol.
 
Old 08-03-2009, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Newark, NJ/NYC
1,205 posts, read 1,294,484 times
Reputation: 572
Just read in NYPost police blotter that there was a murder in Mott Haven yesterday. A homeless man was stabbed in an apartment building.

While I definitely don't think crime is on a 90s level, I do think some people somewhat downplay that there are some nieghborhoods are still crime-filled. It's like a neighborhood can only be at Brownsville/ENY level to qualify as a ghetto and that's not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top