U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: In your opinion is crime citywide up or down since 2005?
Up 89 47.85%
Down 97 52.15%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 08-04-2009, 12:18 AM
 
122 posts, read 185,959 times
Reputation: 35

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
There was probably more than that but the people who report those crimes to gothamist probably have an actuall job to do on the weekdays.
True cause now that it is later this stuff has been added
Shooting | Rosewood St & Whiteplains Rd Bronx, NY | 8/4/2009 12:36 a.m.
Barricaded EDP | 1243 Findlay Ave & E 168th St Bronx, NY | 8/4/2009 12:23 a.m.
Shooting | Hoe Av & E167th St Bronx, NY | 8/4/2009 12:11 a.m.
Stabbing | Caton Av & Marlborough Rd Brooklyn, NY | 8/4/2009 12:10 a.m.

 
Old 08-04-2009, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Newark, NJ/NYC
1,204 posts, read 1,291,740 times
Reputation: 572
Looking at the stats, when you compare the last 28 days of this year to last year in murders, this year has a higher count of 51 to 34 of last year. And this summer hasn't been so very dry, to say the least!
 
Old 08-04-2009, 10:32 PM
 
122 posts, read 185,959 times
Reputation: 35
Manhatten was pretty busy today. A triple shooting in Harlem
Triple Shooting | 7th Ave & W149st 3 Manhattan, NY | 8/4/2009 10:57 p.m.
Stabbing | W 26th St & 9th Ave Manhattan, NY | 8/3/2009 11:24 p.m.
Homicide | 426 W 26th St & 9th Ave Manhattan, NY | 8/4/2009 12:06 a.m.
Serious Assault | Ditmas Ave & E 23st Brooklyn, NY | 8/4/2009 10:44 p.m.
Shooting | Pleasant Pl & Vanderbilt Ave Staten Island, NY | 8/4/2009 1:27 a.m.
Shots Fired | 1065 University Ave X 166 St Bronx, NY | 8/4/2009 12:57 a.m.
Shooting | Rosewood St & Whiteplains Rd Bronx, NY | 8/4/2009 12:36 a.m.
Shooting | 1163 Hoe Ave Bronx, NY | 8/4/2009 12:18 a.m.
Shooting | Hoe Av & E167th St Bronx, NY | 8/4/2009 12:11 a.m.
Stabbing | Caton Av & Marlborough Rd Brooklyn, NY | 8/4/2009 12:10 a.m.
Shots Fired | W 20th St & Surf Ave Brooklyn, NY | 8/4/2009 10:24 p.m.

Last edited by zac14; 08-04-2009 at 10:59 PM..
 
Old 08-06-2009, 10:12 AM
 
122 posts, read 185,959 times
Reputation: 35
Some new stuff
Fatal Stabbings On Staten Island, In The Bronx - Gothamist

Bronx man killed in early a.m. shooting

Shots Fired | E 3st & Ave B Manhattan, NY | 8/5/2009 10:29 p.m.
Shooting | Seneca Av & Hunts Point Av Bronx, NY | 8/5/2009 11:21 p.m.
Shooting | 303 Vernon Ave Brooklyn, NY | 8/5/2009 11:23 p.m.
 
Old 08-06-2009, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Medina (Brooklyn), NY
656 posts, read 1,042,490 times
Reputation: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, Los Angeles, New Orleans, Miami, St. Louis, Philadelphia, etc.....
New York City has neighborhoods that rank higher in crime than certain neighborhoods in all of those cities...you know that don't you?
 
Old 08-06-2009, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Bay Ridge, NY
1,916 posts, read 5,373,310 times
Reputation: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfarr1030 View Post
New York City has neighborhoods that rank higher in crime than certain neighborhoods in all of those cities...you know that don't you?
Yes, and those cities have more areas that are bad... my point wasn't that NYC is better or anything, just that there are MORE places where bad things can happen in other cities.
 
Old 08-06-2009, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Medina (Brooklyn), NY
656 posts, read 1,042,490 times
Reputation: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Yes, and those cities have more areas that are bad... my point wasn't that NYC is better or anything, just that there are MORE places where bad things can happen in other cities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys
New York is relatively safe... a lot of places have MUCH higher crime rates than here. Yes, bad things happen.. but more bad things happen elsewhere, lol.
Ohh brother..

I'm sorry but the only people who say that are people who are from the suburbs and have no idea or understanding of the hood/ghetto (or Europeans and people with a side agenda such as selling real estate etc). Listen, a bullet in Bedstuy, Flatbush, Jamaica, Harlem or wherever is NO DIFFERENT than a bullet in Chicago, Philadelphia, New Orleans, Compton, Detroit or wherever. A drive by doesn't get you "more dead" in St. Louis, Camden, NJ, Oakland, Baltimore or DC than it would in East NY, Brownsville, LES Manhattan, South Bronx etc. The bad parts of NYC (and there are many) are just as bad as the bad parts of all these other cities mentioned. Crime "rate" means NOTHING. There are just as many criminals here as in other places and if you're unlucky on that day...well then I'm sorry for you. The same "bad things" that happen in Chicago happen in New York City, there is no distinction. No place is worse than the other.
 
Old 08-06-2009, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Bed-stuy/Clinton Hill
952 posts, read 1,380,559 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfarr1030 View Post
Ohh brother..

I'm sorry but the only people who say that are people who are from the suburbs and have no idea or understanding of the hood/ghetto (or Europeans and people with a side agenda such as selling real estate etc). Listen, a bullet in Bedstuy, Flatbush, Jamaica, Harlem or wherever is NO DIFFERENT than a bullet in Chicago, Philadelphia, New Orleans, Compton, Detroit or wherever. A drive by doesn't get you "more dead" in St. Louis, Camden, NJ, Oakland, Baltimore or DC than it would in East NY, Brownsville, LES Manhattan, South Bronx etc. The bad parts of NYC (and there are many) are just as bad as the bad parts of all these other cities mentioned. Crime "rate" means NOTHING. There are just as many criminals here as in other places and if you're unlucky on that day...well then I'm sorry for you. The same "bad things" that happen in Chicago happen in New York City, there is no distinction. No place is worse than the other.
The numbers have to stand for something, and the fact that crime isn't as rampant in even the bad parts of NY as they were before, says alot too. How many people come from certain hoods like Bed-Stuy, Crown Heights, etc... Leave for a while then come back and say "dag alot has changed?" I think what 'analyticalkeys' is trying to say is that on average in the city as a whole you are less likely, to become a victim of crime. For example Franklin Ave around Eastern Parkway is alot safer than it was long ago. I used to live in Miami and in the NY area, I can tell you about so many places that changed and my young female cousins are able to walk the streets in Far Rockaway, Jamaica or Flatbush, but they can't even walk or ride the bus in North Miami without being harassed. Where alot of cities stayed the same as far as crime rate or got worse NY went down. Brownsville and East NY are still dangerous, is it as dangerous as '89? No, however you are less likely to have something happen to you walking down Saratoga ave than in Liberty City or Little Haiti in Miami. From my own observation, coupled with data, I cannot deny this as fact. But it is still a problem that crime seems to be contained in majority black and latino areas and something has to be done.

p.s. I liked that you noted "medina" not just Brooklyn
 
Old 08-06-2009, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Bay Ridge, NY
1,916 posts, read 5,373,310 times
Reputation: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
The numbers have to stand for something, and the fact that crime isn't as rampant in even the bad parts of NY as they were before, says alot too. How many people come from certain hoods like Bed-Stuy, Crown Heights, etc... Leave for a while then come back and say "dag alot has changed?" I think what 'analyticalkeys' is trying to say is that on average in the city as a whole you are less likely, to become a victim of crime. For example Franklin Ave around Eastern Parkway is alot safer than it was long ago. I used to live in Miami and in the NY area, I can tell you about so many places that changed and my young female cousins are able to walk the streets in Far Rockaway, Jamaica or Flatbush, but they can't even walk or ride the bus in North Miami without being harassed. Where alot of cities stayed the same as far as crime rate or got worse NY went down. Brownsville and East NY are still dangerous, is it as dangerous as '89? No, however you are less likely to have something happen to you walking down Saratoga ave than in Liberty City or Little Haiti in Miami. From my own observation, coupled with data, I cannot deny this as fact. But it is still a problem that crime seems to be contained in majority black and latino areas and something has to be done.

p.s. I liked that you noted "medina" not just Brooklyn
Yes, this is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about. Thanks for clarifying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justfarr1030 View Post
Ohh brother..

I'm sorry but the only people who say that are people who are from the suburbs and have no idea or understanding of the hood/ghetto (or Europeans and people with a side agenda such as selling real estate etc). Listen, a bullet in Bedstuy, Flatbush, Jamaica, Harlem or wherever is NO DIFFERENT than a bullet in Chicago, Philadelphia, New Orleans, Compton, Detroit or wherever. A drive by doesn't get you "more dead" in St. Louis, Camden, NJ, Oakland, Baltimore or DC than it would in East NY, Brownsville, LES Manhattan, South Bronx etc. The bad parts of NYC (and there are many) are just as bad as the bad parts of all these other cities mentioned. Crime "rate" means NOTHING. There are just as many criminals here as in other places and if you're unlucky on that day...well then I'm sorry for you. The same "bad things" that happen in Chicago happen in New York City, there is no distinction. No place is worse than the other.
Congratulations, you just tried to get at me with EXACTLY what I said on the other page, albeit in not so many words. Here, I'll even quote it for you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Well, I always say.. just because other people have it worse, doesn't make your problems any less serious.. so just because a lot more people might get murdered in Chicago or Detroit.. doesn't mean that the possibility of it happening somewhere in NYC, though smaller, is something to laugh at.
P.S. I'm not from the suburbs, European, and I do have a lot of friends that live in the hood, so I've spent a fair share of time in them. Thanks.

Last edited by analyticalkeys; 08-06-2009 at 06:12 PM..
 
Old 08-06-2009, 05:38 PM
 
Location: LawnGuyLin
674 posts, read 1,183,435 times
Reputation: 196
The worse parts of NYC are just as bad as the worst parts of any other city crime rates mean nothing in a city as big and densely populated as NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top