U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 10-02-2008, 04:24 PM
 
13 posts, read 37,794 times
Reputation: 16
Default european school of economics in Manhattan

Hi guys,
I'm an Italian guy and a few months ago I posted a thread on this forum asking for suggestion about my plan of application for a master course at the brooklyn college. I finally decided to apply for it but a few days ago I was told by the admission office that They couldn't consider my application because my italian three years degree in psychology is not equal to an american bachelor's degree.

Since my desire to study in New York is insatiable, I started to look for other options. Given the fact that the NYU and Columbia university are way too expensive for me (Being a foreigner I can't rely on scholarships and any other sort of state loan) Do you guys have any suggestion about a good master course in the psychology field in an affordable university?

I'm open to take into consideration each and every possible option. For eample I came into contact with the European School of Economics located in the Empire State Building. It is a british private instute that offers master courses at reasonable (compard to the above mentioned NYU etc..) tuition. Does anyone of you guys know anything about this school? Reputation, prospective of employment etc...?

I need suggestion!! please help!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-03-2008, 09:41 AM
 
11,151 posts, read 8,923,944 times
Reputation: 18522
The school is not accredited in the U.S. (NY Times), which makes the degree pretty much useless for jobs here.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2008, 10:01 AM
 
Location: NYC area
3,486 posts, read 3,167,664 times
Reputation: 3732
Although doubtless an architectural wonder, for the past couple of decades the Empire State Building has been an arc of semi-shady businesses, less prestigious personal injury law firms (no offense to my brethren out there), dubious-looking export-import shops and other riff-raff sporting letterheads that looks fancy to folks from far away places. (Plans are now underway to update the building and make it attractive to more respectable tenants.) When you are in New York, by all means, visit the Empire State Building, go up to the observation deck -- but be very wary of doing business with any of its tenants. A long-time New Yorker, I am not aware of any respectable schools in the Empire State Building, although it does have a few "institutes" catering to the poorest and least educated of immigrants. A "European School of Economics" located in New York sounds fishy to begin with, and positively rotten if it's located in the Empire State Building. The fact that it is not accredited only confirms that it is a chop shop giving out diplomas that aren't worth the paper they are printed on. And I guarantee you, it doesn't even have a nice space. Trust me.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2008, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Manhattan
155 posts, read 312,875 times
Reputation: 122
I largely agree with the previous posts about the Empire State Building.

But apart from shyster lawyers, and other questionable businesses there are some reputable people working out of that building

My podiatrist is there, and she's great !
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2008, 01:24 PM
 
3,225 posts, read 5,066,544 times
Reputation: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Although doubtless an architectural wonder, for the past couple of decades the Empire State Building has been an arc of semi-shady businesses, less prestigious personal injury law firms (no offense to my brethren out there), dubious-looking export-import shops and other riff-raff sporting letterheads that looks fancy to folks from far away places. (Plans are now underway to update the building and make it attractive to more respectable tenants.) When you are in New York, by all means, visit the Empire State Building, go up to the observation deck -- but be very wary of doing business with any of its tenants. A long-time New Yorker, I am not aware of any respectable schools in the Empire State Building, although it does have a few "institutes" catering to the poorest and least educated of immigrants. A "European School of Economics" located in New York sounds fishy to begin with, and positively rotten if it's located in the Empire State Building. The fact that it is not accredited only confirms that it is a chop shop giving out diplomas that aren't worth the paper they are printed on. And I guarantee you, it doesn't even have a nice space. Trust me.
I reluctantly must agree with the above referenced post. It is ironic that a building as well celebrated as the Empire State should be the residence of shady characters and organizations that make King Kong appear more credible.

I even remember a tale of a dentist there many years ago to whom an unwitting female patient went for a root canal and somehow ended up getting a rectal exam by the solo male dentist in an office without an assistant. Hopefully, both he and his practice are no longer occupying offices there.

Yes, I would be cautious with schools having such grandiose names for fear that the curriculum offered might not even match that of a pre-K.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2008, 02:41 PM
 
6,622 posts, read 10,706,996 times
Reputation: 3766
fraud warning on ESE (from a blog- who knows if it's legit, but still.)

European School of Economics (ESE) - Fraud Warning: European School of Economics - Warning
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2008, 03:20 PM
 
1 posts, read 9,757 times
Reputation: 10
Default Empire State Building

I don't agree with the comments above. The Empire State Building is the house of big companies and some of the finest schools. The Kings College is in the Empire State Building, the best language school is in the Empire State Building (KAPLAN) and some others. The European School of Economics has only offices there, like other major global companies.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2008, 03:23 PM
 
7,081 posts, read 23,306,395 times
Reputation: 3609
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyork321 View Post
The Kings College is in the Empire State Building, the best language school is in the Empire State Building (KAPLAN) and some others.
Do you work for this concern? How do you know?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2008, 04:24 PM
 
468 posts, read 1,479,092 times
Reputation: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyork321 View Post
I don't agree with the comments above. The Empire State Building is the house of big companies and some of the finest schools. The Kings College is in the Empire State Building, the best language school is in the Empire State Building (KAPLAN) and some others. The European School of Economics has only offices there, like other major global companies.
The King's College is a tiny evangelical school that was based in Westchester before it went bankrupt and was moved to the ESB. It fits in with its co-tenants.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2008, 09:08 AM
 
1 posts, read 9,617 times
Reputation: 13
That is not true. I have friends that went to school at ESE and they have a job working in Fashion Management in NYC. When finding a job after college employers do not look to see of the college was accredited, they look at your grades, internships, and resume. The people who say its shady that European School of Economics is in the Empire State Building do not know what they are talking about. Only the admin offices are in the Empire State Building the classes are held near Wall Street at 25 Broadway.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top