Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 03:50 PM

10 posts, read 40,715 times

Advertisements

Has anyone gone there or is anyone currently enrolled?

I am thinking of transferring to Empire State from BMCC which has been a positively harrowing, nightmarish mockery of post-secondary education.

Thought I would save money and buff up my math skills since I had trouble due to a learning disability in that subject but I'm finding its just not worth it.

All of my professors and all of the admin I have come into contact with have asked me why I am at BMCC and said I don't belong there which has become painfully obvious.

(For the record- I am a transfer student with a 3.9 GPA from my past school and was admitted to Hunter prior to taking the entrance exams which I passed with flying colors besides math. Another thing-I loved going to school prior to BMCC and even though things are rough there I apply myself/have a strong work ethic. My doctors think that even with enrichment courses, etc my math may still remain bad.)

My other option is to petition the boards at Hunter or City College on account of my disability for exemption of the math requirement for entry.

The last option would be to move out of NYC and pursue my education in an institution who can overlook the fact my mathematics skills are horrid but my reading/writing/general knowledge is great.

Has anyone had this issue? What did you do? Surely, Im not the only one that is an ace at every subject besides math, loves to learn but finds the CUNY math requirement cumbersome and not a realistic measure for successful students?

HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 04:16 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
What's BMCC?

Old 10-05-2008, 04:22 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
What's BMCC?
Tohe OP is probably referring to a community college in CUNY - stands for Borough of Manhattan Community College.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:22 PM

Sorry! Borough of Manhattan Community College, a CUNY Junior College.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:41 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
I think you should pursue the Hunter route before looking elsewhere. It's cheap and has some very good programs. Also you should really consider whether you actually have a math disability or have just had a poor math education and bad teachers so far. I have seen some people who seemed positively hopeless in math turn themselves around with the right teaching.

But if you do actually have a disability that can be proved then I am not sure why Hunter wouldn't accept this, unless you are trying to get into an engineering or stats program or something, in which case they would have good reason to deny you if you can't do math.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:09 PM

Nope, not trying to do anything math related as a major!

I do have the disability and documentation without getting too technical, my attending doc wrote a letter on my behalf explaining they did not do specific testing for math/academic ability but my disability is consistent with what one would see in a math disability. Im waiting on an appointment to get the academic evaluation but it takes six months to get in!

Im not really sure why Hunter would not accept this either-considering I have a lot of documentation but CUNY does have some rather stringent rules on the entrance exams. I can understand this, as well but in view of my academic record/disability- certainly they should do something.

Basically, CUNY has said to me up to this point: rules are rules which if Im not mistaken some other nasty organization said many years ago. This stance has caused me to question the CUNY system and see it as placing politics before academics which gives me quite a bad taste in my mouth. Certainly schools should, in my humble opinion, consider more than just a poor score especially when the poor score has not otherwise affected my school work. Especially when a student for example, has an impressive work/academic record, is positively involved in their community and has done meaningful extracurriculars.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:23 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
I would definitely recommend continuing to pursue an exemption at Hunter. From relatives in academia, Empire State does not have anywhere near the same reputation as Hunter. It's perceived as more of a lightweight institution, not one that really delves into the depths of learning.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:02 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I would definitely recommend continuing to pursue an exemption at Hunter. From relatives in academia, Empire State does not have anywhere near the same reputation as Hunter. It's perceived as more of a lightweight institution, not one that really delves into the depths of learning.
I would second jinglebell's friend's recommendation .

Old 10-05-2008, 11:54 PM

185 posts, read 752,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorainnyc View Post
Has anyone gone there or is anyone currently enrolled?

I am thinking of transferring to Empire State from BMCC which has been a positively harrowing, nightmarish mockery of post-secondary education.

Thought I would save money and buff up my math skills since I had trouble due to a learning disability in that subject but I'm finding its just not worth it.

All of my professors and all of the admin I have come into contact with have asked me why I am at BMCC and said I don't belong there which has become painfully obvious.

(For the record- I am a transfer student with a 3.9 GPA from my past school and was admitted to Hunter prior to taking the entrance exams which I passed with flying colors besides math. Another thing-I loved going to school prior to BMCC and even though things are rough there I apply myself/have a strong work ethic. My doctors think that even with enrichment courses, etc my math may still remain bad.)

My other option is to petition the boards at Hunter or City College on account of my disability for exemption of the math requirement for entry.

The last option would be to move out of NYC and pursue my education in an institution who can overlook the fact my mathematics skills are horrid but my reading/writing/general knowledge is great.

Has anyone had this issue? What did you do? Surely, Im not the only one that is an ace at every subject besides math, loves to learn but finds the CUNY math requirement cumbersome and not a realistic measure for successful students?

HELP!
If I'm not mistaken, If you succesfully graduate from one of the CUNY Community Colleges in a Liberal Arts 2 year degree, then you are guaranteed admission at a 4 year school.

If this is still the case, I would STRONGLY suggest just getting through the 2 year degree at BMCC, enjoy the break, and then transfer to Hunter. Hunter really is a great school and CUNY tuition and assistance + quality really is hard to find elsewhere. Even if you were to start at Hunter the first 2 years would likely be Liberal Arts courses anyways.

Personally I assumed theyd be very different and started at a 4 year school. I actually regret it as the 4 year schools usually offer almost the same courses in the first 2 years as the community schools, and now I am stuck halfway through with NO degree, where, had I gone to a Community College , I would now have my Associates.

I would say definitely DEFINITELY, stay at BMCC for 2 years, then transfer to Hunter!

Old 10-06-2008, 12:39 AM

The classes are NOT the same at BMCC and Hunter even if they are both liberal arts classes in initial two years.

Its not a break at BMCC. For an individual who enjoys learning and values academics, BMCC is not at all rigorous. The organization/admin is a nightmare and the work ethic of fellow students amazing. I mean that as in I cant believe people are allowed to come to or participate in class still---when for example they have not completed ANY of the required assignments are we are now nearly at mid-term. Another example: profs were being hired a day before and up to 2-3 wks into the semester!
I wont go into any specifics about departments but I have seen some crazy stuff in the short time I have been there. Another example and I could do this ad nauseam: children being allowed INTO the classroom because of childcare issues. !!!!!! Cell phones constantly going off/cell phone related disturbances in every class every week!

I just don't get it. I know things are different and not right at that place because I have attended other schools that were "normal" and ran well. I have, also, attended community college elsewhere and it was academically rigorous and there were none of the above issues. Maybe this a NYC issue. Maybe its NYC high school problem. I have no idea as I didn't attend high school in this state.

I mean, really, the point is I cannot stay at BMCC. Thus, Hunter or Empire State as I can't afford NYU or Columbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City