Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2008, 12:39 PM

33 posts, read 184,037 times

Advertisements

Hi, so I'm looking for a room/apartment rental. I'm familiar with the Bronx. Looking into Morris Park, Allerton, Pelham Parkway both North and South. Trying to live close enough to the train without a real drop in quality. I've rented a place on Holland off Lydig and the area was mixed with everyone but I'd say mostly white and hispanic. I'm interested in Allerton though. I've been up that way a couple of times. I'm only thinking east of Boston Road though. Between Bronxwood and Eastchester Road. Want to be close to the train because I am beginning school down at Baruch college. So living by the 2 and 5 is important which rules out areas like Westchester Square, Castle Hill, and Pelham Bay. But the question I have is what do people think of Allerton Avenue, the stretch of it that I mentioned? I mean its hard to tell with a lot of areas because they tend to be fairly quiet. You only learn about the areas really after living there. I'm Italian as you could tell by the name so I want to be sure that I find a decent working class area. So yeah any ideas or insight would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 12:55 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,673,781 times
Allerton bet Bxwood and E'chester Rd was heavily Italian but I believe that section has changed. It is quieter than Holland/Lydig, but if you're looking for a heavier Italian census(not sure if you are or not) then look closer to Eastchester Rd and south of Allerton (around Astor, Waring and Mace); it's better kept and more attractive than Allerton

Old 10-08-2008, 01:10 PM

1,280 posts, read 2,442,648 times
I live on Arnow, between Hone and Paulding, which is a block over from Allerton. I find the area to be pretty quiet at night, I've never had any problems in the 4 years I lived here. You don't necessarily have to live by the 2 and 5 train on Allerton, you could look at Laconia Ave which is an easy walk to the number 5 train on the Eastchester line. One note, most rentals in the area are private houses, some people like to rent from private homeowners, others prefer apartment building, choice is yours.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:14 PM

Mr. Triny you would then know more about the area. I go up to a grocery there sometimes called Angelo and Joes. That strip along Allerton has a decent number of Italian stores. But I'm mainly looking for a place close to the 5 train because it runs express into the city. And I would like a room in a 2 or 3 family house or apartment building. I've been around there at night with some friends to go get White Castle and see Albanians and other people hanging out there. Basically I just need a decent place to sleep, affordable rent. I mean the majority of my time will be occupied with school and work. So its not very important to live in an Italian area. And the main reason why I don't go to Morris Park is because its nearly impossible to find a room for rent in the area. And I feel Allerton is still relatively close and has a lot more stores to shop in. The strip puts Morris Park Ave. and Lydig to shame.

Old 10-12-2008, 02:10 AM

842 posts, read 4,308,550 times
Allerton Ave is bustling most of the time and we have occasional festivals and block parties. It's a real tight community and after a few months, you're bound to start greeting people in the street. People are friendly and genuinely care about the community. However, I cant say it is perfect. There is crime and drugs but that's the Bronx for you. The 5 trains only runs express during AM/PM rush hours.

Overall, Allerton is a fine place

Old 10-12-2008, 10:36 AM

Well without a doubt there is always crime. I mean if you aren't sensible about it you'll run into trouble. I mean I've seen Van Nest and Allerton looks better than that now. And the Pelham Parkway PJ's are dead. Probably the most quiet, safe, and least problematic project in the whole city. But what is the best route to go to Baruch College from that area>? A friend of mine was telling me to take the 5 train express to Grand Central and the 6 train is the Lexington Avenue line which should take you right there. And the 5 train express I believe is by Lydig where Hone Avenue is. The Morris Park station.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:04 AM

1,280 posts, read 2,442,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaReSe67 View Post
Well without a doubt there is always crime. I mean if you aren't sensible about it you'll run into trouble. I mean I've seen Van Nest and Allerton looks better than that now. And the Pelham Parkway PJ's are dead. Probably the most quiet, safe, and least problematic project in the whole city. But what is the best route to go to Baruch College from that area>? A friend of mine was telling me to take the 5 train express to Grand Central and the 6 train is the Lexington Avenue line which should take you right there. And the 5 train express I believe is by Lydig where Hone Avenue is. The Morris Park station.
Yes the 5 train to Grand Central, then the 6 train to 23rd street, and a two or three block walk will get you to Baruch As for the crime issue, that's a matter of lifestyle, if your not hanging out on street corners at 3am, you don't have much to worry about, your biggest fear may just be people around here own BIG DOGS, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City