Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 08:49 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times

Advertisements

In a way it's like the Warriors but they don't go through out the city fighting with different gangs. For example, lets say you are in a Dominican hood ala Washington Heights, University Heights etc.....you are going to have strong presences of Dominican gangs such as Trinitario and DDP. Now, you may not know who they are because the cops know what to look for. These two gangs are two of the most problematic in NYC, so most DDP and Trini members do not flag or wear beads. So in general if you see a large group of kids hanging out on corner, in front of buildings, in parks etc...then there is a possibility that they are members of a gang.

Continuing with the Dominican gangs, they usually make there presence felt in DR parades:

Trinitarios:

YouTube - DPL Marching

DDP:

YouTube - DDP MARCHING
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 09:03 PM

467 posts, read 1,684,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
In a way it's like the Warriors but they don't go through out the city fighting with different gangs. For example, lets say you are in a Dominican hood ala Washington Heights, University Heights etc.....you are going to have strong presences of Dominican gangs such as Trinitario and DDP. Now, you may not know who they are because the cops know what to look for. These two gangs are two of the most problematic in NYC, so most DDP and Trini members do not flag or wear beads. So in general if you see a large group of kids hanging out on corner, in front of buildings, in parks etc...then there is a possibility that they are members of a gang.

Continuing with the Dominican gangs, they usually make there presence felt in DR parades:

Trinitarios:

YouTube - DPL Marching

DDP:

YouTube - DDP MARCHING

These gangs are also big in Corona/Jackson Heights/East Elmhurst in Queens.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:38 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax78 View Post
These gangs are also big in Corona/Jackson Heights/East Elmhurst in Queens.
Yup. Exactly. I know Corona has a strong Trinitario presence, in fact I personally know some.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:21 AM

473 posts, read 1,670,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
....So in general if you see a large group of kids hanging out on corner, in front of buildings, in parks etc...then there is a possibility that they are members of a gang....
that's a HUUUUGE generalization

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
you mean they wear black shirts with a hankerchief that has tear drops on it?
LOLOLOLOL @ handkerchief - when I first saw the thread, I thought he was refering to white tees.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:37 AM

223 posts, read 615,951 times
Did the person/people have on all white from head to toe? If so, they could be going through their priesthood initiation into Santaria or another religion.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:25 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,334,237 times
^^^

No they all just wear white tees

I know they are dealing because I see it

Are they a sect of larger gang?

Or are they some new upstarts

Old 10-13-2008, 08:12 PM

185 posts, read 752,134 times
Wow, Trinitarios, here too?

I know there was another group here thats colors was white, but it I don't think they were violent. I think they were kind of like the guardian Angels, only Latin. Name just slipped off my tongue. Maybe I'll remember in a sec...

I worry about this next generation sometimes. Especially the violent gangs that seem even stronger the last few years.

If only society would stop marginalizing these youth and putting them down from such a young age. And if only they had some real role models. I suppose when the NYPD is illegally handcuffing kids in middle school for loitering or disrespect, they are trained that handcuffs are their future, and that guidance, appropriate and compassionate punishment is nowhere to be found.

These kids could have an enormous effect if they united for social activism. Which it seems some gangs try to do as well, so I won't put them all together in the same category, as I know some gangs fight within their ranks too over "ethics" believe it or not, along with copycats and hoodlums. The hierarchy seems different, and it seems that those high up in the ranks do not appreciate the thuggery in the lower ranks.

It is so simple to steer these kids in the right direction, but unfortunately greed and the "me" society distorts their goals and send them in the wrong direction. Considering how the social justice aspect of gangs has been largely quelled in favor of the more violent up and comers, I can't help but wonder if these "gangs" in their current mainstream perception aren't just a little Too convenient to keep around, as it facilitates a culture of marginalization and prison fodder that the state seems to need to keep around.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:23 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiArnez6 View Post
Wow, Trinitarios, here too?

I know there was another group here thats colors was white, but it I don't think they were violent. I think they were kind of like the guardian Angels, only Latin. Name just slipped off my tongue. Maybe I'll remember in a sec...

I worry about this next generation sometimes. Especially the violent gangs that seem even stronger the last few years.

If only society would stop marginalizing these youth and putting them down from such a young age. And if only they had some real role models. I suppose when the NYPD is illegally handcuffing kids in middle school for loitering or disrespect, they are trained that handcuffs are their future, and that guidance, appropriate and compassionate punishment is nowhere to be found.

These kids could have an enormous effect if they united for social activism. Which it seems some gangs try to do as well, so I won't put them all together in the same category, as I know some gangs fight within their ranks too over "ethics" believe it or not, along with copycats and hoodlums. The hierarchy seems different, and it seems that those high up in the ranks do not appreciate the thuggery in the lower ranks.

It is so simple to steer these kids in the right direction, but unfortunately greed and the "me" society distorts their goals and send them in the wrong direction. Considering how the social justice aspect of gangs has been largely quelled in favor of the more violent up and comers, I can't help but wonder if these "gangs" in their current mainstream perception aren't just a little Too convenient to keep around, as it facilitates a culture of marginalization and prison fodder that the state seems to need to keep around.
Desi, let's not go that route again - the blame everybody in society for my crimes, I'm just a poor victim of circumstances, absolve me of any responsibilty for my crimes, it's society's fault that I robbed and killed that bodega owner daring to come in my neighborhood and provide groceries where no chain store or supermarket dares venture; oh, the prison system needs to perpetuate itself thus it causes me to be a criminal.

If you meant to keep me in stitches with that one, you failed miserably, Desi.

Last edited by Moderate Guy; 10-13-2008 at 08:42 PM..

Old 10-13-2008, 08:31 PM

467 posts, read 1,684,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Desi, let's not go that route again - the blame everybody in society for my crimes, I'm just a poor victim of circumstances, absolve me of any responsibilty for my crimes, it's society's fault that I robbed and killed that bodega owner daring to come in my neighborhood and provide groceries where no chain store or supermarket dares venture; oh, the prison system needs to perpetaute itself thus it causes me to be a criminal.

If you meant to keep me in stitches with that one, you failed miserably, Desi.

A lot of it is society's fault. Poverty, an educational system that fails many of our city's children, broken families, etc..

I think of my students. They are unique, smart, funny, creative..50% of NYC students won't graduate high school. It scares me thinking about that. These are good kids; some of them get sucked into the streets and it breaks my heart.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:38 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax78 View Post
A lot of it is society's fault. Poverty, an educational system that fails many of our city's children, broken families, etc..

I think of my students. They are unique, smart, funny, creative..50% of NYC students won't graduate high school. It scares me thinking about that. These are good kids; some of them get sucked into the streets and it breaks my heart.
Even if society is part of the issue, jax, let's not absolve criminals for their share or responsibility. Sure, broken homes, poverty, churches/synagogues, schools, and the individual are part of the cause as well as the solution.

And I can never figure out why if someone needs to rob, e.g., a defenseless store owner and succeeds in cleaning him/her out, is it society's fault that the fleeing, heavily laden with boot perpetrator then turns around and fills the cowering proprietor with lead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City