Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 02:00 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,852,226 times

Advertisements

I don't think there will be a 2 BR in Murray Hilll for the price they're looking at. It's at LEAST 3500, if not more, in Murray Hill for 2 BR. My manager just left a 1 BR in Murray Hill in a so-so building that was over $3200....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 02:16 PM

151 posts, read 533,436 times
Check out long island city, it's one stop away from midtown. You can probably rent your own place.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:47 PM

467 posts, read 1,679,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafroghead View Post
Hi!

I will be moving to NYC in the fall of 2009 after graduation. My starting salary is $60,000. I will be living with a roommate that will be making about the same salary. Will we be struggling to survive in Manhattan? Or is this livable? Any tips or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I lived in Manhattan when I was making around $45,000. I lived with roomies, and my room was SMALL!! It was a walk-up on the Upper East Side, far from the subway. You can do it, especially with roomies, but it's not going to be a HUGE living arrangement.

You can get more for your money in Queens, and/or the Bronx; however, if you want Manhattan, I would look on the Upper East Side further from the subway...2nd Ave, and 1st Ave. You tend to find places that are more spacious for a decent amount there. Queens- I recommend Astoria.

I still live in NYC (not Manhattan) and make less than $60,000 so it's possible. I also go out and enjoy the city, but have to budget, of course. Good luck!

Old 10-15-2008, 04:39 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,259,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I don't think there will be a 2 BR in Murray Hilll for the price they're looking at. It's at LEAST 3500, if not more, in Murray Hill for 2 BR. My manager just left a 1 BR in Murray Hill in a so-so building that was over $3200....
That's true. You'd have to have a stroke of luck in NYC real estate to find a stabalized smaller unit in Murray Hill to come in around $3000. It's a remote possibility, and likely a non-renovated unit.

Edit: Curiosity got the better of me, and there are some on Craigslist around $3000 and under for a smaller 2BR and/or JR4 in Murray Hill, but from the descriptions they're not top notch buildings, but they do exist. Though to the OP if you find something that's good, you have to move quickly to get it in any neighborhood, since apartments don't stay on the market too long at a reasonable price.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 10-15-2008 at 04:47 PM..

Old 10-16-2008, 11:09 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,479,550 times
When I got my first apartment, I was earning the grand sum of $10,400 a year. It's true that salaries have gone up somewhat in the last 20 years, but there are still huge numbers of people living in this town who don't happen to be wealthy.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:49 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,258,273 times
The only brutal expense of living in New York is housing. Once you get that figured out, it's not significantly more expensive than any other major city. One of the best things about New York is that there's always a deal somewhere. A true New Yorker never pays retail. Soon you'll find the sample sales, and which bars have the best happy hours with 2 for 1 drinks or free snacks, or which Web sites have discounted theater tickets, etc. If you know where to go, you can get a really good lunch for $5 (something you'd be hard-pressed to do anywhere else in the country). When you're young and still willing to live with roommates it's a blast. Take advantage of it while you can.

The problems start when you want to live alone and be close to the subway. That's when you have to make real sacrifices and it's not quite as much fun anymore.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:30 PM

541 posts, read 1,898,421 times
I would consider Long Island City, Astoria and Sunnyside in Queens as well. All of these neighborhoods are just as urban as Manhattan and the commute to Manhattan is less than 30 minutes. The biggest upside is that you will be able to afford a much larger place at a lower cost. You can pay around 750 in Astoria for your share of a two bedroom. I pay 1325 in Sunnyside for a very large 1 bedroom and my office is Times Square (bleh) which takes me around 25 minutes door to door in the morning.

I make 58K a year and I live very comfortably with zero debt so its very doable.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:18 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,852,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
The only brutal expense of living in New York is housing. Once you get that figured out, it's not significantly more expensive than any other major city.
That's not really accurate. EVERYTHING is more expensive: food, dry cleaning, shoe repair, laundry, other groceries, etc. And the difference is significant. I get detergent, shampoo, toiletries and other necessaries when I go to the country, where there's a Target, because the price difference is enormous between even Westchester and Manhattan. Not to mention dentists, doctors, etc. They're also more costly than in other large cities.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:40 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,258,273 times
One of my favorite things about the city is that you can live like a gentleman without a lot of money. I have all of my shirts laundered and starched for $1.25 each; my suits are dry cleaned for $7.00; my other laundry is washed and folded for less than $1.00 a pound; I have a first rate barber where I can get a shave (with a straight razor) and a haircut for $20 (haircuts alone are $14.00); I can get my shoes shined for $3.00; if I wanted to, I could get a manicure for less than $10.00. All of the services are much more expensive in other cities.

I attended a funeral in Charleston, West Virginia this summer and was shocked to find that my corner liquor store on Avenue B was significantly cheaper than the ones in West Virginia (of all places). In fact, lots of things there (especially restaurants) were comparably priced yet of considerably lesser quality.

Sure you can get an $18.00 cocktail or a $50.00 burger, but you don't have to spend that kind of money. My point is that, if you know where to look, (places like the Strand Book Store or the East Village Cheese Shop) you can find a good price.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:51 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,022,073 times
I know what you mean about some things being cheap here. I just bought a container of really tasty fresh raspberries for $1.00. And limes are 10 for $1.00. Can't beat those prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City