Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 03:20 PM

10,062 posts, read 14,434,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchristine View Post
Hi all!

I'm a 23yr.old recent Univ. of S.Carolina grad. Me, my best friend, along w/ one of our other good friends, are planning to move to brooklyn early next year.

we've been apt. hunting on craigslist a lot, but I have to admit that a lot of the ads on there just look like scams. Are we wastin our time? I've been doing some personal research and it looks like brokers are the ppl to stay away from, you have to have good credit, i've even heard that if you don't have a job its better to start off subleasing for a while. but with the 3 of us moving...can we sublease...esp. when we rather just rent?

Does anyone have some sound advice on steps to take for 3 young professional ladies moving to brooklyn. I really liked the ridge bay area of the bk borough...is it unrealistic to want to move there? My friend lives in east flatbush...should we look there?

Also, I plan to apply to some waitressing/bartending jobs in nyc, but should i start now in order to even be considered to move into an apt.? if i don't have a job when i arrive in nyc(b/c our plans were to get jobs once we move there) am i screwed? i currently work as a grad intern here in sc roughly making about $17k/yr. i'm applying to Columbia Univ. and NYU for fall 2009 to do a dual-degree in journalism & business... which is my main reason for wanting to move to new york city. i have my BA in journalism, but SC's economy is...well...it sucks! i've been here for 8 yrs....i need a change...and i don't have my head in the clouds, but ever since first visiting nyc last summer, i've been wanting to move there. and i'm 23 w/ no kids and i'm not married, so i feel this is the perfect time to go.

i've visited brooklyn twice within the last year...and I'm sure I want to make the move, but I just need some sound advice from natives to make sure I have a smooth transition. I NEED a smooth transition esp. since I'm currently working 2 jobs(reporting gig & bartending) all while studying for the GRE and applying to grad schools.

Thanks!
You should get an apartment through a reputable broker. Meaning, a large company that is known for renting apartments. If you private message me, I can give you some advice. I rented apartments in Brooklyn for 5 years.
That area is FAR and ROUGH. Do not move there. You'll be scared most likely, and moving out quicker than you'd hoped.
Look at apartments in Greenpoint or Williamsburg. These 'hoods are spectacular for introducing people to Brooklyn/NYC and you can find a 3 bedroom for around $2100-$2200. If each of you can swing $700-$800 per month for rent/utils, go this route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 03:36 PM

25 posts, read 71,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
You should get an apartment through a reputable broker. Meaning, a large company that is known for renting apartments. If you private message me, I can give you some advice. I rented apartments in Brooklyn for 5 years.
That area is FAR and ROUGH. Do not move there. You'll be scared most likely, and moving out quicker than you'd hoped.
Look at apartments in Greenpoint or Williamsburg. These 'hoods are spectacular for introducing people to Brooklyn/NYC and you can find a 3 bedroom for around $2100-$2200. If each of you can swing $700-$800 per month for rent/utils, go this route.
Thanks!...just pm'd u

Old 10-16-2008, 05:17 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Default Looking out for Newbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
why bed-stuy? some parts of bed-stuy are really nice. and fort greene is all nice now except next to the projects. u walk a block away from the projects and its like night and day.
Since they are newbies, they may very well end up in one of the very worst parts of those neighborhoods. Unfortunately, opportunistic RE agents may very well have making a buck their priority, not the safety of these young ladies.

As for Bed-Sty, what parts ARE nice that are also affordable to young newbies? I know some cops there and they say it's all a zoo. Take a look at the precinct stats for that area (and it's a relatively SMALL area of Brooklyn). I have also done some search and rescue canvassing in Bed-Sty around Tompkins Park and found it to be awful: empty-eyed hostile shopkeepers, pitbull fighters, menacing loiterers, blocks of brand new houses that are totally VACANT with groups of drunken and stoned wiseass kids sitting on the steps, etc. I found old and middle-aged people to be responsive and "nice," but the younger ones were quite hostile. I wouldn't advise these young girls to move to Bed-Sty fresh out of South Carolina and have them for their neighbors.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 10-16-2008 at 06:12 PM..

Old 10-16-2008, 05:37 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
east flatbush is not a concrete jungle with tenements and projects by the way. it is one of the hotter areas in brooklyn when it comes to crime, but there only 1 housing projects (glenwood) on the border of east flatbush and canarsie, and east flatbush is mostly 1 and 2 family homes with a few multiple dwelling buildings.
When I was there I was in the projects on Newkirk avenue. Are those the same ones? Well, the section I was in had little homes but I will take your word for it.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:41 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Since they are newbies, they may very well end up in one of the very worst parts of those neighborhoods. Unfortunately, opportunistic RE agents may very well have making a buck their priority, not the safety of these young ladies.

As for Bed-Sty, what parts ARE nice? I know some cops there and they say it's all a zoo. Take a look at the precinct stats for that area (and it's a relatively SMALL area of Brooklyn). I have also done some search and rescue canvassing in Bed-Sty around Tompkins Park and found it to be awful: empty-eyed hostile shopkeepers, pitbull fighters, menacing loiterers, blocks of brand new houses that are totally VACANT with groups of drunken and stoned wiseass kids sitting on the steps, etc. I found old and middle-aged people to be responsive and "nice," but the younger ones were quite hostile. I wouldn't advise these young girls to move to Bed-Sty fresh out of South Carolina and have them for their neighbors.
I agree. Bed-Stuy had one of the highest crime rates in the city last year. If I am not mistaken, Bed-Stuy is covered by 2 precincts ; 79th and 81st. Even in the gentrified part, you are no more than a couple of blocks from the hood. I agree with Fort Greene, the projects are rough but the neighborhood itself is ok.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I agree. Bed-Stuy had one of the highest crime rates in the city last year. If I am not mistaken, Bed-Stuy is covered by 2 precincts ; 79th and 81st. Even in the gentrified part, you are no more than a couple of blocks from the hood. I agree with Fort Greene, the projects are rough but the neighborhood itself is ok.
Yes, that small area of Brooklyn needs TWO precincts! The gentrified part may not be home to "criminals" but they are often the victims of burglaries. I doubt these young girls can afford the gentrified part anyway if there are many rentals there at all as I thought in that area most incoming people were buying whole brownstones and using them as 1-family dwellings. I also think the bargain rents in Ft. Greene will be near the projects.

Basically once they are seriously apartment-hunting, their best bet is to post specific streets and intersections of where they are looking and ask on here for a thumbs up or down.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
....does that leave us ANYWHERE affordable to live???? by affordable i mean max $2500 rent for 3bedroom.
Do you absolutely have to live in Brooklyn?

Maybe you would find something nice in Queens. There are a lot more good neighborhoods in Queens. It is a little longer commute to Manhattan depending on subway/bus logistics, but perhaps you and your roommates can rent a small house.

Or if you get into college in Manhattan like you are hoping to, maybe you would want to live in upper Manhattan. Just ask on here about the neighborhoods first.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:50 PM

110 posts, read 309,012 times
Look, I came up on 48th st. between Church and Linden. I went to south shore high. GO VIKINGS! E. Flatbush is not that bad unless you're in the street "game." I now live in Brownsville (me and my old lady is trying to get out though). Brooklyn is a good place to be. However, I must tell you to try Bay Ridge. Stay out of B-ville! Visit E. Flatbush some more. Visit Bed-Stuy. Stay out of E. New York. Try Carnarsie also.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:00 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
....does that leave us ANYWHERE affordable to live???? by affordable i mean max $2500 rent for 3bedroom.

Bay Ridge, Kensington and Ditmas Park are all affordable and perfectly nice areas of Brooklyn.

Why must you live in Brooklyn, though? Queens is more affordable.

And the roomie who is pushing to live in Bed-Stuy - has she ever been there?

Old 10-16-2008, 08:05 PM

110 posts, read 309,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

Why must you live in Brooklyn, though? Queens is more affordable.
1. Because Brooklyn is more affordable.
2. Because she likes Brooklyn.
3. Because her "friend" lives there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City