Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 01:10 PM

110 posts, read 308,952 times

Advertisements

There is nothing in Brownsville or ENY... At least she can hit Church Ave, or Utica in E. Flatbush for a descent bite to eat. Fulton and Nostrand has stores and restaurants in BedStuy. Brownsville has nothing but crime. IMO the OP can deal with E. Flatbush and Bedstuy. B-ville and ENY is just too rundown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 03:29 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardier View Post
IMO the OP doesn't appear to be so focused on safety. The OP mentioned staying with a friend who lives in East Flatbush. The OP obviously found the area interesting enough to want to move to Brooklyn. The OP does not appear to be focused on Manhattan. I recommend Bed-Stuy.
I don't get that impression of her at all. She said in a previous post:

I went to visit my friend who's lived in east flatbush for 8 yrs. now...he says its quiet on his block, but the probablity of me moving where he lives is unlikely...and from what I saw it did seem ghetto.

I also think 3 young girls who are newbies to NYC can do better than Bed-Stuy. Anything affordable to students just starting out will be in one of the sketchier neighborhoods there. They also probably want to make friends in their neighborhood. But if they are determined to try Bed-Stuy, their best bet is to post street name/intersection on a case-by-case basis once they start seriously apartment hunting.

Additional Queens neighborhoods to the ones previously mentioned that they might feel at home in are:

Cambria Heights
Rosedale
Springfield Gardens
Laurelton
Saint Albans

These areas have many shops and restaurants and a semi-suburban homey feel to them and are not hotbeds of crime.

Queens neighborhood to avoid: Jamaica, particularly South Jamaica; parts of Queens Village can also be sketchy.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:39 PM

718 posts, read 2,324,664 times
This person is looking to go to SCHOOL, potentially Columbia or NYU ($$$$$). I dont know why any of you would give far out places, where total commute time could be at least 1 hour each way. This is a poor solution to an expensive investment. In addition, adjustment to the NY minute from SC could be tough. They should live in northern Brooklyn, western Queens, or Manhattan itself in an affordable and CONVENIENT area.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:22 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
This person is looking to go to SCHOOL, potentially Columbia or NYU ($$$$$). I dont know why any of you would give far out places, where total commute time could be at least 1 hour each way. This is a poor solution to an expensive investment. In addition, adjustment to the NY minute from SC could be tough. They should live in northern Brooklyn, western Queens, or Manhattan itself in an affordable and CONVENIENT area.
If you read all the OP's posts you would know why.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:29 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Agreed.

Actually if she ends up going to Columbia, even western Queens and northern Brooklyn could end up being an hour commute each way.

Even more reason not to recommend the places that are even further out.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:29 PM

283 posts, read 1,072,063 times
First off, OP: A $2500 budget for a 3 bedroom is realistic -- especially because you're not like most 23-year-old transplants (like myself) who come on here demanding to live in Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, or Williamsburg. I think the neighborhoods you're looking at are in your price range.

I also think that Bed-Stuy is not a terrible idea. I had friends who lived on Nostrand and Halsey, and had zero problems with crime, and a damn short commute. They left because they felt out of place and conspicuous; they were white; you wouldn't have that issue. And I think that your price range is realistic there.

Bay Ridge is nice and cheap. I would live there myself except for two downsides. It's far, and it's an older population and still almost completely untouched by the yuppie Brooklyn migration. There is nightlife but it's very insular in a sort of Staten Island way. I'm still considering moving out there.

Kensington is also still under the radar (less so all the time), pretty cheap (less so all the time), and sort of a middle ground in terms of distance from things.

I would recommend subletting, honestly, even if it means you guys might have to live separately for a few months. Get your feet under you, don't feel too pressured to find an apartment, check out these neighborhoods yourself.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:27 AM

718 posts, read 2,324,664 times
Yes I read all the posts. She said she will be bartending, reporting, studying for the GRE, and eventually go to school. She should have access to libraries open more hours. When shes in school she will probably have interviews between classes. She needs to be as close to Manhattan as possible with her agenda. Its not as if she is just going to work for 8, 10 or whatever number of hours and then coming home.

I saw her preference was for Bay Ridge, but this forum exists to have knowledgeable people help those who are less informed and redirect those who may be misguided. Im sorry but Bay Ridge is awful advice for a potential Columbia student and bartender (late night R), and its not even that close by subway to her friend in east flatbush. And then the St. Albans/Rosedale/etc post was just ridiculous. To ship an out of towner who is used to little traffic and waiting for nothing to some far off location where they will be on the subway forever is leading the blind in the wrong direction.

There are 3br for $2500 in Astoria, Jackson Heights, etc. which make your life a lot easier.

To Jchristine, study hard on those GREs so you get into your schools and make the trip to NY worthwhile. Remember, nobody can take away your education from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
If you read all the OP's posts you would know why.

Last edited by DITC; 10-18-2008 at 08:35 AM..

Old 10-18-2008, 08:58 AM

283 posts, read 1,072,063 times
Quote:
I saw her preference was for Bay Ridge, but this forum exists to have knowledgeable people help those who are less informed and redirect those who may be misguided. Im sorry but Bay Ridge is awful advice for a potential Columbia student and bartender (late night R), and its not even that close by subway to her friend in east flatbush. And then the St. Albans/Rosedale/etc post was just ridiculous. To ship an out of towner who is used to little traffic and waiting for nothing to some far off location where they will be on the subway forever is leading the blind in the wrong direction.

There are 3br for $2500 in Astoria, Jackson Heights, etc. which make your life a lot easier.
You're right, I overlooked the fact that Columbia was an option. For NYU I would honestly say that Bay Ridge, Bed-Stuy and Kensington are a reasonable distance away, though this obviously depends on one's own willingness to sit on the train. Columbia is another story. Is it really that much easier to get to Columbia from Queens, though? It's not exactly a straight shot on the subway from Queens to the west side, with the exception of being on the 7 train, I guess, and maybe the E. It strikes me that the only good bet for Columbia is to live uptown, since you can really only get there on the 1 train, which limits your options coming from other areas.

(EDIT: I guess I forgot that the N/R/W stop at Times Square, so you could get to Columbia with one relatively easy transfer (or two if you take the express to 96th.) Still, I would imagine that's at least a 45-minute trip from most parts of Queens.)

That said, a good friend of mine lives in Park Slope and is in a grad program at Columbia with no complaints. So it is certainly possible to be happy living in Brooklyn and going to school up there, if you've got a tolerance for long subway rides.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:33 PM

25 posts, read 71,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I don't get that impression of her at all. She said in a previous post:

I went to visit my friend who's lived in east flatbush for 8 yrs. now...he says its quiet on his block, but the probablity of me moving where he lives is unlikely...and from what I saw it did seem ghetto.

I also think 3 young girls who are newbies to NYC can do better than Bed-Stuy. Anything affordable to students just starting out will be in one of the sketchier neighborhoods there. They also probably want to make friends in their neighborhood. But if they are determined to try Bed-Stuy, their best bet is to post street name/intersection on a case-by-case basis once they start seriously apartment hunting.

Additional Queens neighborhoods to the ones previously mentioned that they might feel at home in are:

Cambria Heights
Rosedale
Springfield Gardens
Laurelton
Saint Albans

These areas have many shops and restaurants and a semi-suburban homey feel to them and are not hotbeds of crime.

Queens neighborhood to avoid: Jamaica, particularly South Jamaica; parts of Queens Village can also be sketchy.

Thank you for the clarification and the advice!

I don't know WHY some ppl on here would assume that I'm only looking to live in Brooklyn for a man and that I'm not focused on safety. Please read what i say before u make a post...u end up making an AZZ out of yourself...my time and the time of others!

Old 10-18-2008, 05:35 PM

25 posts, read 71,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiecupdrinking View Post
You're right, I overlooked the fact that Columbia was an option. For NYU I would honestly say that Bay Ridge, Bed-Stuy and Kensington are a reasonable distance away, though this obviously depends on one's own willingness to sit on the train. Columbia is another story. Is it really that much easier to get to Columbia from Queens, though? It's not exactly a straight shot on the subway from Queens to the west side, with the exception of being on the 7 train, I guess, and maybe the E. It strikes me that the only good bet for Columbia is to live uptown, since you can really only get there on the 1 train, which limits your options coming from other areas.

(EDIT: I guess I forgot that the N/R/W stop at Times Square, so you could get to Columbia with one relatively easy transfer (or two if you take the express to 96th.) Still, I would imagine that's at least a 45-minute trip from most parts of Queens.)

That said, a good friend of mine lives in Park Slope and is in a grad program at Columbia with no complaints. So it is certainly possible to be happy living in Brooklyn and going to school up there, if you've got a tolerance for long subway rides.
Thank you for the advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City